SkyscraperCity banner

49821 - 49840 of 50116 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Was on an Ashton tram earlier this evening, we get to Pomona where the driver announces over the tannoy it will be slow going over the new points connecting the TPL and how we will see test trams going down the line over the coming weeks, he then mentioned how the Trafford line could be open late March. I predict the opening date will be Friday 20th March, what does everyone else think?

Same driver called Andy on Ashton tram made the same announcement as last night approaching Pomona city bound, this time he is saying April

·
Registered
823 Posts
Crumpsall turnback platform is already operational and has been for some time. It was commissioned and made available for use in October last year. It hasn't been used as there has been no need as yet. The main reason the Trafford Park Line trams will terminate at Cornbrook is the delay in delivery of the additional trams. I must admit that until rrphoto mentioned a lack of power capacity as well I hadn't heard about it.

I thought that the additional capacity on the Bury Line was to be provided by an increase in the provision of double units on the Bury Piccadilly route once enough new trams arrive.
We have enough spare power capacity to double everything up, we don’t have enough to do that and/or increase the frequency by extending the TPL to Bury.

·
Registered
16,706 Posts
Final landscaping conditions application has gone online shows most of the route, it does show that the path along the pomona viaduct is supposed to go from the paving to the gravel path that is in place.

Metrolink Trafford Park Line Development Site Pomona Strand Old Trafford

Application for approval of details reserved by conditions of grant of deemed planning permissionTWA/14/APP/16 (Transport for Greater Manchester (Light rapid transit system)(Trafford Park Extension) Order 2016). Condition 5 (Landscaping)

https://publicaccess.trafford.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=Q5KZPAQLJ2Q00&activeTab=summary

·
Registered
10,339 Posts
Are you referencing "Metrolink Unofficial"?

Take that with a grain of salt!
There's certainly nothing on the rarely used 'official' Metrolink Facebook page. The "Metrolink Unofficial" page does include a very recent post claiming March 22nd as the date though. Watch for a press release I guess before making any early morning plans.

·
Registered
10,339 Posts
Final landscaping conditions application has gone online shows most of the route, it does show that the path along the pomona viaduct is supposed to go from the paving to the gravel path that is in place.
So I see, it does seem rather odd to me but there it is. The planners have approved it like that so that's the way it will be. I wonder whether with it being rather narrow in places the idea is to deter folks from using it.

·
Registered
10,339 Posts
Metrolink Facebook feed confirms official opening of TCL is 22nd March
Are you referencing "Metrolink Unofficial"?

Take that with a grain of salt!
There's certainly nothing on the rarely used 'official' Metrolink Facebook page. The "Metrolink Unofficial" page does include a very recent post claiming March 22nd as the date though. Watch for a press release I guess before making any early morning plans.
Strangely this link https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=166785410&postcount=54716 to a post on the Metrolink thread regarding Danny Vaughans appearance on Radio Manchester tomorrow doesn't seem to confirm the originator's assertion about the 22nd March.

Of course the "Metrolink Unofficial" may just be right.

·
Registered
10,339 Posts
No testing today it seems.
I suppose the days that training takes place will be limited by the availability of drivers still requiring their practical training runs. It will presumably have to be carefully managed around the rosters.

One thing about the trial running phase if there actually is one, I seem to recall that before the East Manchester Line opened to Droylsden there was an exercise involving simulated crowd management at Etihad Campus. I wonder whether there will be a similar exercise at Wharfside? Presumably they will want to try out all these cattle pens and turnstiles before a real match.

P1060466 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1060469 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

·
Paulw3726
1,568 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
New TPL map
Stops named!!

“There is already one available via our website. I've provided a link for further information: ow.ly/RWHh30qkCcT. Thanks.”

https://images.ctfassets.net/nv7y93idf4jq/6XLJdkTs10RgwA1q5X9b9R/8a75a9b7951ca4402bc8f4ea1ec81ee7/Metrolink_network_map_zonal__with_TPL_from_Cornbrook__NORMAL.jpg

Twitter feed https://twitter.com/mcrmetrolink/status/1232333011502469122?s=12
Many thanks for an early glimpse of the updated Metrolink map paulw3726.
Good job done. The TPL has been integrated well, very happy with the red line..:cheers:

·
Droylsden, Mcr Eastside
5,100 Posts
Yes, it's quite a looker! :-

Metrolink network map zonal (with TPL from Cornbrook) by John McCarthy, on Flickr

And they've now got the football colours correct . . . :runaway:

I did wonder if they would re-jig the whole thing, but it seems to work quite well as is. It might be a struggle later to get the red line back over the trunk section to Crumpsall. Probably keep it along the top row via Exchange Square (then from Vic it will have Rastafarian colours . . .:colbert:)

I do struggle a bit to make out some of the colours, with the lines being so thin and tightly strapped together. But I think the dotted line for Eccles/Ashton via MediaCity is a useful addition.

'intu', however, in my opinion is not!

:cheers:

·
Registered
24,466 Posts
^^

To answer your post on the other thread, surely there'll be another iteration when the TPL is extended to Crumpsall?

I like it overall. Obviously I don't like the hideous 'intu' prefix, and why isn't Pomona shown as an interchange?

I still think there needs to be some rationalisation of the colours, else we're going to run out eventually! Perhaps all routes that go via Exchange Square should be blue, all via Piccadilly yellow and all via Shudehill/SPS green?

·
Droylsden, Mcr Eastside
5,100 Posts
^^

To answer your post on the other thread, surely there'll be another iteration when the TPL is extended to Crumpsall?

I like it overall. Obviously I don't like the hideous 'intu' prefix, and why isn't Pomona shown as an interchange?

I still think there needs to be some rationalisation of the colours, else we're going to run out eventually! Perhaps all routes that go via Exchange Square should be blue, all via Piccadilly yellow and all via Shudehill/SPS green?
Very rare for me to disagree with VDB, but no way are we going to run out of colours (cf London Transport) - there will be at least a 10-year gap now before anything else happens, and please, please let's not go back to different lines having the same colour, with echoes of the execrable grey diagram of a few years ago!

Yes there will be one more iteration in August or so, but it will be decades before Metrolink needs to resort to line numbers (or names, although names might be a good PR exercise in themselves, again as in the highly memorable line names in London).

·
Registered
24,466 Posts
Very rare for me to disagree with VDB, but no way are we going to run out of colours (cf London Transport) - there will be at least a 10-year gap now before anything else happens, and please, please let's not go back to different lines having the same colour, with echoes of the execrable grey diagram of a few years ago!

Yes there will be one more iteration in August or so, but it will be decades before Metrolink needs to resort to line numbers (or names, although names might be a good PR exercise in themselves, again as in the highly memorable line names in London).

No worries Johnny, disagreement is good :)

I too dread a return to that horrible greyscale map, which beyond being ugly was also wrong as it made it seem as though one could take a tram from, say, Market Street to Eccles direct.

However, even in London the various routes are combined into lines - the District, Piccadilly, Northern, Central and Metropolitan lines - and of course DLR and Overground - are all made up of a series of routes combining into a central trunk.

In my mind, the Rochdale, East Didsbury and Trafford Park lines would be coloured blue as they combine through Exchange Square; the Ashton, Eccles, Altrincham-Piccadilly and Bury-Piccadilly services would be coloured yellow as they combine through Piccadilly and the Bury-Altrincham and Airport services would be coloured green as they combine through Market St/Shudehill.

But you're right that this won't be required for at least another decade. I just think the map could start looking very cluttered and messy (especially that wide chunk through Cornbrook) once we're in the midst of Big Bang II. :banana:

Another point - although there are an almost infinite number of colours, there are actually only about 12 to choose from before some start looking very similar. Once you've smashed through the primary colours, experimented with darkening/lightening some, added turqoise, pink, purple, black and grey... there's not much left. This is what I've found over the years I've spent playing around with cartography. Which reminds me, it's been a while since I attempted one of my 'fantasy' Metrolink maps. Must do another one....

49821 - 49840 of 50116 Posts