41 - 60 of 9278 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
MMDA kicks off P100-million facelift

First posted 03:56am (Mla time) Nov 07, 2005
By Tarra V. Quismundo
Inquirer News Service

Editor's Note: Published on page A23 of the Nov. 7, 2005 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

IF YOU build it, he will come.

This line from Kevin Costner's movie "Field of Dreams" might just describe the P100-million beautification project of the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA).

Saying that the multimillion project is beyond cosmetics, the MMDA has embarked on the makeover to attract tourists and investors to the country.

Specifically, the project will center on a 48.7-km road network connecting the Manila International Airport to hotels and destinations in Metro Manila.

Promising to deliver results before Christmas, the MMDA has begun work on the road network, which it calls the Investors' Corridor.

"This is to improve the general environment in Metro Manila in terms of aesthetics and order," said MMDA Chair Bayani Fernando in a press conference last week.

He added, "This should serve as a model for the metro. The route is what most visitors take from the airport to hotels, and to Malacañang."

Lined up for facelift

Lined up for facelift are Andrews Avenue in Parañaque City, Lawton Avenue in Taguig City, and McKinley Road in Makati City.

Also in the plan are the stretch of EDSA (Epifanio delos Santos Avenue) and the President Diosdado Macapagal Boulevard through Pasay City and Parañaque, and Ortigas Avenue traversing the cities of Pasig and Mandaluyong, said MMDA General Manager Robert Nacianceno.

Fernando said most of the P100-million funding from Malacañang would be used for infrastructure development, like the leveling of roads, easement and sidewalk clearing and repair, carpentry and painting of run-down structures, landscaping, and waterways cleaning. Street implements, including lights, footbridges, and signages would also be installed.

The MMDA has sent notices to owners of structures set for demolition and has begun talking to families and others that would be affected.

Promoting order

Fernando said the project was more than just another facelift, because it aimed to promote order in the metropolis.

"We also have an information and disciplining effort, because those [living along the route] tend to go back to their old ways of doing laundry and hanging their clothes on the sidewalk, and walking around half-naked," said Fernando.

He added that while previous beautification efforts focused on covering up eyesores along major roads, the Investors' Route program sought to do the opposite.

"The general idea here is not to cover up, but to open the areas for commerce," Fernando said.

One idea is to convert sidewalks into parking areas, he said.

According to him, the route will be rehabilitated in three months, while "substantial improvements" shall be felt before Christmas time, as President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo had wished.

Of the roads lined up for improvement, some had been given a washup last April in preparation for an international gathering of parliamentarians.

Fernando said the agency would again pass through the initially rehabilitated route, including parts of Ninoy Aquino Avenue, Airport Road, MIA Road, Roxas Boulevard, President Quirino Avenue, and JP Laurel Street, for finishing touches and maintenance work.

·
Here Since 2002
7,261 Posts
tigidig14 said:
^ i dont beleive it, very unpredictable
i tend to be a doubter though with BF controlling this project, I have reason to have hope and belief.

·
Member, Winifred Fan Club
2,973 Posts
Mango said:
He added, "This should serve as a model for the metro. The route is what most visitors take from the airport to hotels, and to Malacañang."

Fernando said the project was more than just another facelift, because it aimed to promote order in the metropolis.

"We also have an information and disciplining effort, because those [living along the route] tend to go back to their old ways of doing laundry and hanging their clothes on the sidewalk, and walking around half-naked," said Fernando.

He added that while previous beautification efforts focused on covering up eyesores along major roads, the Investors' Route program sought to do the opposite.

"The general idea here is not to cover up, but to open the areas for commerce," Fernando said.
Don't want to rain on the parade, but this is a covering up. They're only targeting the roads that visitors use, which is basically a covering up of the rest of the city. Granted they do not have the funds to do the whole city, and that entails a lot more work, but this is some spin that Bayani is putting there. Sure, he's teaching people to be disciplined but this is in essence a covering up of the rest of the city, whose roads are not getting a facelift.

·
Member, Winifred Fan Club
2,973 Posts
Also McKinley... that's already a good looking road.

Anyway, yes I don't mean to say that it's a bad project because it's good that they're cleaning up those roads and they're investing in community education to keep up their beautification investment. I just wasn't very impressed by Bayani's saying it's not a cover-up. What a spin on things.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Actually i've noticed some improvements, especially in Mckinley. At C5, illegal structures are starting to give way to (shock) sidewalks!!!

·
Banned
8,427 Posts
Sucat exit from Makati is now free from shanties, stores and some small shops. Facelifted na. Hindi siya guwapo eh, pero maganda! hehehe Jolliebee andun pa rin...

·
zerocool
593 Posts
boybaha said:
Also McKinley... that's already a good looking road.

Anyway, yes I don't mean to say that it's a bad project because it's good that they're cleaning up those roads and they're investing in community education to keep up their beautification investment. I just wasn't very impressed by Bayani's saying it's not a cover-up. What a spin on things.

But you gotta start somewhere right? In our cash strapped government, im impressed that Bayani still can execute these projects. He cannot do ALL the metro in one go obviously. At least he is sincere in his work.

·
Registered
841 Posts
kahit hindi masyadong gwapo, bastat malinis tignan diba nakakagwapo ren . oh diba

·
I got my eye on you.
24,697 Posts
I have a question....do they still have those "street sweepers" in Metro Manila? I think they're called Metro Aides? :dunno:

·
Proud to be Filipino
4,833 Posts
yup there are still street sweepers but no more Metro Aides.... most of the old Metro Aides were promoted by MMDA to become traffic aides... that's why many MMDA traffic guys don't even know the proper traffic rules...

some new street cleaners were the ones GMA dressed up with those blue shirt with big GMA logo during the election period of 2004

·
Registered
841 Posts
metro aides are not a good idea. IT just justifies Filipinos being lazy and throwing litter everywhere because they have people sweeping after them. and when they eat nobody busses the table. poor busboys have to bus for amillion pigs.

·
daDJ - da way to go
111 Posts
I'd like to believe that with BF at MMDA, nothing is impossible. The man is THE MAN! I like his leadership style, I admire his vision for MM & I salute him for making his vision a reality!

41 - 60 of 9278 Posts