Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, for all its problems, the metro isn't half-bad during the day. I get home, to school, and work alright. Nonetheless, taking the metro at night is the worst mental torture ever conceived. The train I take is supposed to arrive at government center a few minutes before 9pm, but for half of the days of the week it arrives between an hour and almost two hours late. Now, I've been riding the metro for some time and it has never been that late before. I can understand the train arriving super late once in a while, especially at night, but it seems to be a common trend now. Even worse, the power constantly goes on and off forcing the train to stop for as long as five minutes. I've gotten used to it now, but I'm still left wondering, has the county made cutbacks on the metrorail? Are they neglecting maintenance? Or has this always happened but I just have never noticed it?

·
Registered
809 Posts
This thread reminds me of that episode of The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, when Will Smith became a photographer and he was shooting, "Celebrity Houses... At Night." Classic. LOL. Jay Leno was funny in that episode. Any who, this is a cool thread and what is the spire looking thing at the top of Brickell Financial Centre.

·
Banned
218 Posts
This thread reminds me of that episode of The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, when Will Smith became a photographer and he was shooting, "Celebrity Houses... At Night." Classic. LOL. Jay Leno was funny in that episode. Any who, this is a cool thread and what is the spire looking thing at the top of Brickell Financial Centre.
I think it's an antenna. If it were a spire, it would raise the official height according to the skyscraper laws.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
As a whole though, I feel the Metro has gotten a bit better actually. They're upgrading the fares system to the Easy Card, which is a huge step in the right direction, not to mention we're finally getting an expansion to MIA!

In terms of power outages at night, I've never experienced those, but I have experienced the pains of the "single-tracking" at night, where a train will arrive like 10-20 minutes late, but never more than that. I enjoy the Metro, for me, it takes me to everywhere I need to go, and it's cheap. I know that's not the case for everyone, but it works.

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,121 Posts
What is the spire looking thing at the top of Brickell Financial Centre?
I think it's an antenna. If it were a spire, it would raise the official height according to the skyscraper laws.
Guys, since no one has answered as of yet, that is a construction crane. It is just oriented in such a way that it looks like an antenna or a spire. And Barf, what skyscraper laws are you referring to? If it were a spire, the CTBUH (Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat) would include it as part of the official height of the building.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
That Coconut Grove metro-rail train looks like its out of the show "Welcome Back Kotter" with the graffitti scribbled on it. Yo! Brooklyn
It totally does. Too bad the graffiti is so lame. It's just unstylistic pissing with spray paint from a can.

Same here in Philly. Most of it on the subway is absolutely awful with the VERY occassional actual artistic talent mixed in.

Either way, they have to clean it really fast. That's what stops endless tagging.

Still, GOOD graffiti artists are naturally talented. Philadelphia has a pretty cool program to engage them and channel their energy into public work murals across the city rather than deface public property. It's city-funded and enjoys pretty broad support...and the results are sometimes very good:

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
In terms of power outages at night, I've never experienced those, but I have experienced the pains of the "single-tracking" at night, where a train will arrive like 10-20 minutes late, but never more than that. I enjoy the Metro, for me, it takes me to everywhere I need to go, and it's cheap. I know that's not the case for everyone, but it works.
Get ready for lots more of that between Earlington Heights and Brownsville (if you travel that way) as they have to fork off the Orange Line to the Airport. Or are they constructing that track a different way?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Get ready for lots more of that between Earlington Heights and Brownsville (if you travel that way) as they have to fork off the Orange Line to the Airport. Or are they constructing that track a different way?
Here are the renderings from the MDT website:

From what I see here, the Dadeland South- and Earlington Heights-bound track does fork onto the Southbound Track just west of Earlington Heights Station. On the other hand, the Airport-bound track forks off at around the same point and then flies over the main track at the bend leading up to Brownsville. In any case, track closures there should not start until late-2010 I think (I'm no expert of course).

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Anyone know how this new line is going to work in conjunction with the existing "Green" line? I've heard two different versions:

1. The MIA-Earlington Heights line will be just that, a two-station branch line of the green line. For example, if someone got on at Gov't Center, they'd have to get off at Earlington Heights to transfer onto a different train to MIA.

2. The MIA-Earlington Heights will be part of a larger MIA-Brickell line, aka the "Orange" line. So someone coming from Government Center would be able to get on an Orange line train and go directly to MIA without transfering at Earlington Heights. I've also heard that this Orange line would have limited stops at MIA-Earlington Heights-Civic Center-Gov't Center-Brickell.

So, anyone know what the real story is lol?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Anyone know how this new line is going to work in conjunction with the existing "Green" line? I've heard two different versions:

1. The MIA-Earlington Heights line will be just that, a two-station branch line of the green line. For example, if someone got on at Gov't Center, they'd have to get off at Earlington Heights to transfer onto a different train to MIA.

2. The MIA-Earlington Heights will be part of a larger MIA-Brickell line, aka the "Orange" line. So someone coming from Government Center would be able to get on an Orange line train and go directly to MIA without transfering at Earlington Heights. I've also heard that this Orange line would have limited stops at MIA-Earlington Heights-Civic Center-Gov't Center-Brickell.

I don't think it would be feasible to have some trains running express service and others running at local service when there is only one track in either direction. That being said, I think the options are as follows:

- Like you said, just an Airport-Earlington Heights segment could be possible (but I don't know how the dwell times at Earlington Heights would work out with +/- 8 minute headways for normal green line trains during rush hour. Any little delay could throw the whole schedule into a series of cascading delays.)

- Running Orange Line service through Dadeland South in between green line trains throughout the day (increasing headways for trains passing between Dadeland South and Earlington Heights).

- Have Orange Line trains run up to Brickell (as you stated) and then have all passengers get off there (and have a conductor get on and in position to drive the return service in the rear car), and move the empty train to the switch between Brickell and Vizcaya. The conductor in the rear of the train would then take over and (now being in the front of the train) drive the train back to Brickell. Here, the conductor that has been relieved of his/her job would get off and the service to the airport would be on its way.

·
Banned
1,659 Posts
^^ I have been wondering this for years, I have even asked here for more info. It seems that no one knows how the 3 lines were going to work.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Seems to me that the best alternative would be a MIA-Dadeland South Orange Line that works integrated into the existing Green line. Otherwise, this could get tricky, and like DWNTWN said, one delay could mess up the entire system, if the trains aren't coordinated appropriately.

The reason I suggest a MIA-Dadeland South Orange line versus an MIA-Brickell line is because Dadeland South already serves as a line terminus. Not that the Brickell Station couldn't function as one either, it would get more complicated though. Another thing to think about is this: currently, we have rushhour green line trains running every what? 5 minutes or so. How often would the orange line then be running? It would have to accomodate itself to fit into the green line's schedule. I don't think we need trains running every 2.5 minutes from Government Center, it might be too much.

One last thing, with a MIA-Dadeland South orange line, all stations in between here would have to get new signs and new maps. Not to mention, all the trains would need new maps and signage inside the cars. It will definitely be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Here are the renderings from the MDT website:

From what I see here, the Dadeland South- and Earlington Heights-bound track does fork onto the Southbound Track just west of Earlington Heights Station. On the other hand, the Airport-bound track forks off at around the same point and then flies over the main track at the bend leading up to Brownsville. In any case, track closures there should not start until late-2010 I think (I'm no expert of course).
I don't know if I SEE it forking anywhere from those photos. Surly they aren't planning on building a new station on top of earlington heights station (double decker style)? But if they are going to fork it they will have to shut down 1 side of the tracks for a month or so and then the other at some point. That's going to cause commuting headaches for northern commuters who get on at Palmetto/Tri-Rail stations in the morning bound for CBD and vice versa in the afternoon.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts

I don't know if anyone knows for certain however we do know from ridership numbers that most metrorail users (I think it's around 60% or so) use only the stations south of and including Civic Center. So having double utilization of the rail (due to 2 lines) at every station south of Earlington Heights doesn't sound too far fetched.

And of course almost all of the 40% who are going North of Civic are taking it to Tri-rail or Palmetto station so they can get in their car and drive the rest of the way home to Doral/Weston/Miramar/etc...

·
Banned
218 Posts
One thing about the Metro Rail, I was sexually assaulted by a woman one night on my way home a few years back. She was intoxicated, quite cute though, and she grabbed me, held me down and straddled me. When I got off (the train), two Metro-Dade deputies asked me if I wanted to file charges against her (another passenger called), and my reply was, "What the hell for? I thought that was part of the rail service!" :hug::banana:

This girl here looks dangerous though...

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts

Same as the rest of the fellas here in not knowing for sure (the MDTA site gives no real specifics on this) but I think it's very likely that your first version will be the correct one and that people will have to transfer at Earlington Heights.

I don't think it'll be too much of a hassle. After all, the spur is barely over two-miles long and there's only one stop (the MIC). Considering it shouldn't be more than a five-minute trip in either direction, I think it's conceivable MDTA may only assign one train to the spur unless extraordinary circumstances call for more. Most folks would be able to board a train within a few minutes, presumably.

I guess what's not ideal is that a MIA passenger will have to transfer twice before actually getting to the airport, which of course could have been avoided in the first place had Metrorail gone there (as it should have) with the original line, but it's still a significant step forward.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts