Skyscraper City Forum banner

Should Metrorail go to Midtown next after the airport?

• Yes! It would give us a nice, cheap, useful & gratifying project to make up for the North Corridor

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Yawn. It would be ok, but I don't think it would be as useful as you think it would.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I can think of a better 1.5-2 mile extension adding one station (please post)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. It wouldn't be worth the cost. Midtown and the area around it is nothing special.

Votes: 1 5.6%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Metrorail is definitely going to the airport.

MDTA is about to enthusiastically squander our once-in-a-generation gift from the federal government on the useless North Corridor, and will probably screw any chance of getting federal funding for the FIU line for another 25 years.

I think a 1.6 mile extension of the nascent east-west Orange line to Midtown would give them a relatively low-cost project that would add a high-profile station with a fighting chance of actually looking (and being) useful. And... it would prop open the door a tiny bit to continuing the line east along I-195 to South Beach someday. :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Midtown offers great perspective for the corridor a metrorail link would facilitate transit and help those peope move in quickly and generate business on the retail side...also all office development will definetly start making sense

In addition the link to south beach will suddenly propel this neighboorhood into another dimension a soho-southbeach connection

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It would also have tremendous synergy with the proposed Miami Trolley. Edgewater residents who'd never willingly spend a half hour riding the trolley south through some of Miami's poorest neighborhoods to Government Center would arguably ride it 5 minutes north to Midtown. It would also make a compelling case for the City of Miami to continue the trolley north to at least 54th Street, if not 62nd or even 79th. Few would probably be interested in riding the trolley all the way to Government Center from up there, but a real Metrorail station at Midtown would change the equation completely by adding a compelling destination along the way. Even moreso once the Orange Line were finally continued west to the two malls and FIU.

For anyone who's paying attention, I've written more about this on my new blog -- www.transanity.org

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.