SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that their (finally) building the metrorail out to the airport. How much more would it cost to extend the line from Overtown or Gov't center to the port of Miami? Before you ask "where would they build it?", there's an old CSX line that runs right by overtown, wrapping around where the old Miami arena is, right into the port. With a connection from the Airport directly to the port we could harvest millions in revenue from tourists that walk of the plane and wanna go directly onto a ship. Right now they pay a cab company. Why not put that money into the coffers of MDT to help out the transit financial burden a bit? While their at it they could add a stop literally right by bayside and the arena since it would be crossing between them. I'm sure it would cost alot, but it's a very short distance, about half the distance as the airport extension would be. So I would imagine it wouldn't exceed the cost of that project. What do you all think?

·
Banned
218 Posts
Now that their (finally) building the metrorail out to the airport. How much more would it cost to extend the line from Overtown or Gov't center to the port of Miami? Before you ask "where would they build it?", there's an old CSX line that runs right by overtown, wrapping around where the old Miami arena is, right into the port. With a connection from the Airport directly to the port we could harvest millions in revenue from tourists that walk of the plane and wanna go directly onto a ship. Right now they pay a cab company. Why not put that money into the coffers of MDT to help out the transit financial burden a bit? While their at it they could add a stop literally right by bayside and the arena since it would be crossing between them. I'm sure it would cost alot, but it's a very short distance, about half the distance as the airport extension would be. So I would imagine it wouldn't exceed the cost of that project. What do you all think?
I was always wondering why the metro rail didn't have a line that ran east and west or at least looped the city.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Never thought of it as an option, but it could definitely be viable. As America's largest cruise ship port, it would be a busy station transporting tourists from MIA to Port of Miami via Downtown/Brickell hotels.

·
Registered
490 Posts
yep

Been saying that for years. I actually asked that Q once on this forum and got "politics and taxis" as an answer.

I live 3 miles and work at the port. I would leave the car at home if metromover took me there. Changing buses would take me about 35 min def not worth 3 miles.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Maybe the cab drivers were opposed to the extension,saying were the only viable trasnsportation to one's destination.LOL!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sure they are opposed to it. But I highly doubt they have enough lobbying power to really matter on a decision about it if the idea were brought to the city council (or whoever makes those types of decisions).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts