Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Malaysia airliner crashes in east Ukraine

A Malaysian airliner reportedly with 295 people on board has crashed in Ukraine near the Russian border, on a flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur.

Malaysia Airlines said it had lost contact with Flight MH17 from Amsterdam. The last known position was over Ukraine, it said in a tweet.

An aviation source in Moscow told Reuters the plane had been found burning on the ground in east Ukraine.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28354856

·
®
6,021 Posts
There are different conflicting stories on the net though.

Some say it was possibly shot down, others say it was "shot down" others say similar things.

There are you tube videos now posted up too. Wiki was fast to create an entry it appears too.

This will be big news no doubt when people wake up in the morning.

Source: The Examiner. "Possibly Shot Down" right click for source.

That BBC news ^^ article has also been updated since you first posted it.

The Crisis in Ukraine has been to blame.

I wonder whether or not this has any direct links to MH370. It might. Otherwise it's misfortunate and rather bad luck for Malaysian Airlines. Two aircrafts in what? less than 4 months. Not good for their brand.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Lots of Australians on the flight as well.

So far
Dutch 154
Australian 27
Malaysian 23
US 23
Etc.

I hope it's over now for those separatist bastards.
Saw this plain when driving on the freeway this morning..

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
I don't think there is any doubt it was shot down, two military aircraft have been shot down in this area in recent months..

Reportedly the aircraft was flying at a fairly low altitude well in range of your standard russian man portable surface to air missile..

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Same. I was about to book flights today to London. Think I will reconsider and check out what airlines are not flying anywhere near this zone.

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
What's really scary is this is the same route I use to travel to and from Europe a few times a year.

Yes, it's really scary that even though 300 people have just died that we need to focus on you because you have flown this route... It's not at all scary or sad that there are families out there who don't know their loved ones had died or that we may never know what exactly happened..

·
Proud NSW Blue
418 Posts
^^^ He was just making a statement, same as Cariad, not a narcissistic comment per se.
Terrible day for Australians and for aviation history, reminds me of the Korean Airlines incident in 1983.
But this is a very volatile region, and appears to be that pro-Russian separatists were involved, which are like a paramilitary group supported by Russia - even if Vladimir Putin accepts no responsibility and blames Ukraine for the tragedy.

·
Train Spotter
213 Posts
None of us knows what it feels like to suddenly just fall out of the sky so hopefully hypoxia would have kicked in and spared them the terror of it.

·
Watch my Chops
6,047 Posts
I don't think there is any doubt it was shot down, two military aircraft have been shot down in this area in recent months..

Reportedly the aircraft was flying at a fairly low altitude well in range of your standard russian man portable surface to air missile..
Buk anti-aircraft in Snizhne. Photo was taken today before the plane was shot down apparently, this is in the area it was shot down.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Yes, it's really scary that even though 300 people have just died that we need to focus on you because you have flown this route... It's not at all scary or sad that there are families out there who don't know their loved ones had died or that we may never know what exactly happened..
**** off.

I wasn't saying it wasn't scary/sad that those people have died and I take offence that you would imply that.

It's a terrible tragedy and I feel for all those who have lost loved ones.

·
Premium Member
9,627 Posts
A terrible incident.

I am also surprised that airliners are flying over such a volatile region that is basically an undeclared war zone. It's always about saving fuel for airlines, but this was a very bad call. Probably directed by the airline, rather than the pilots themselves.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
A terrible incident.

I am also surprised that airliners are flying over such a volatile region that is basically an undeclared war zone. It's always about saving fuel for airlines, but this was a very bad call. Probably directed by the airline, rather than the pilots themselves.
You wonder why they didn't make it a no fly zone, especially after a couple of planes were shot down in the past 2 months. Many Airlines stopped flying through the region a month ago, Qantas have come out and said they stopped over a month ago. Whereas airlines like Singapore and Delta had still been flying over the region too.

·
®
6,021 Posts
^^ It is a no fly zone, more carriers stopped flying over the area after this incident though....

Ukraine is 'no fly' zone after attack as major airlines avoid country entirely

* British Airways, KLM, Emirates and Virgin have all redirected services
* German operators Lufthansa are taking a 'wide detour' of the region
* Traffic control body, Eurocontrol, have advised airlines to use other routes

By WILLS ROBINSON
PUBLISHED: 21:25 GMT, 17 July 2014 | UPDATED: 21:28 GMT, 17 July 2014

Major commercial airlines have created a virtual 'no fly' zone' over Ukraine after cancelling or redirecting flights in the wake of the attack on flight MH17.
British Airways, KLM and Virgin Atlantic are among the international operators who have altered their journeys after the Malaysia Airlines aircraft was shot down near the Russia-Ukraine border.
The traffic control body Eurocontrol has also advised airlines to avoid the area as a safety precaution.

Avoiding the area: A map from airline tracker FlightRadar24, shows that a large number of planes (highlighted in yellow) have been diverted away from Ukrainian airspace

Airliner tracking sites, including FlightRadar24, are indicating that traffic is now steering clear of Ukrainian airspace.
Air France, KLM, Turkish Airlines, Alitalia and Delta have also diverted their services while German providers Lufthansa said they were taking a 'wide detour' around the region.
A spokesman for the UK Civil Aviation Authority said: 'The Ukrainian authorities are responsible for managing their airspace and the UK or other countries cannot enforce airspace restrictions in the area.
'However, the CAA has previously issued advice to UK airlines on operating in this area and following this incident, Eurocontrol (the European air traffic control body) has issued advice to airlines to plan routes that avoid the area.'

A British Airways spokesman said the only flight that would be flying in the area was the daily service between Heathrow and Kiev.
'The safety and security of our customers is always our top priority.' they said.
'Our flights are not using Ukrainian airspace with the exception of our once-a-day service between Heathrow and Kiev. We are keeping this service under review but Kiev is several hundred kilometres from the incident site.'
A spokesman for Virgin Atlantic said: 'Our thoughts are with all involved in the recent Malaysian Airlines incident. We are closely monitoring the situation and as a precautionary measure are re-routing a small number of flights this evening.'

Doomed journey: A picture shows Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 taking off from Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam

The flights are the Heathrow to Dubai route and the Mumbai to Heathrow route.

Budget airlines Ryaniar and Easyjet have not been affected as they do not use Ukrainian air space.

Delta tweeted: 'Out of an abundance of caution, Delta is not routing flights through Ukrainian airspace.'

Many airlines had continued to use the route despite warnings not to because of the fighting, said Norman Shanks, former head of group security at airports group BAA and professor of aviation security at Coventry University in England.

'It is a busy aviation route and there have been suggestions that a notice was given to aviators telling airlines to avoid that particular area,' Shanks said.

'But Malaysia Airlines, like a number of other carriers, have been continuing to use it because it is a shorter route, which means less fuel and therefore less money.'

Source:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ck-major-airlines-avoid-country-entirely.html

Another Article:

Was MH17 flying through warzone to save fuel? Other planes shown steering well clear of disupted area
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ainst-flying-Ukraine-April.html#ixzz37mnOickx
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I think you took this comment too literally TOCC. The whole situation is tragic but it's human to reflect on one's own situation as well, thinking "that could have easily been me".

·
Registered
756 Posts
Fucken tragedy.

If Malaysia Airlines has a risk management unit, they should probably get the sack. If they don't, they should probably consider the merits of getting one.

·
̙͈̩ͫ̎Ż̌ͫ&
3,549 Posts
They didn't make it a no-fly zone because there was little threat to passenger aircraft 10km in the sky - the military aircraft shot down weren't hit by long range missiles, but were taken out at low altitude.

Just as it's a coincidence (likely) that the plane was Malaysian Airlines, there's also the possibility that it going down over Ukraine was also a coincidence. And if it were shot down, there are many possibilities as to the actual circumstances. I wouldn't even discount a false flag operation to stir up hostility, given the frothing from the likes Astenaar in this thread.

I'd wait for confirmation before attacking one side or the other. And given the opening BBC piece in this thread misidentified what was clearly the plane's vertical stabiliser as a wing, I'd be wary of trusting anything any media outlet has to say.

·
Why Try Harder
1,621 Posts
The no-fly zone extended up to 32,000 feet. The plane was flying at 33,000 feet. Technically, it the plane was not in the no fly zone.
However, if you choose to fly through the region at all, you are relying on everyone understanding that. Not usually the case in a wartime setting.
Qantas (and others) had already diverted their course further to the south (over Turkey) to avoid the area completely. Malaysian Airlines should have done the same.

1 - 20 of 306 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.