SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1579 Posts

·
----------------->
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is the link if anyone wants to argue with you just have them read this...
not everyone knows this in the world cause I've noticed when I have these discussions it throws many people off who are not from here..they don't realize how Miami has changed dramaticly tripling it's size in a matter of three years..this also includes neighboring skylines near downtown...

http://www.answers.com/topic/manhattanization

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
here is the link if anyone wants to argue with you just have them read this...
not everyone knows this in the world cause I've noticed when I have these discussions it throws many people off who are not from here..they don't realize how Miami has changed dramaticly tripling it's size in a matter of three years..this also includes neighboring skylines near downtown...

http://www.answers.com/topic/manhattanization
3rd place...i really like FIRST place...because NY and chicago have a stanglehold on 1 and 2....this is something we need to celebrate...but we need some 800, 900...and a couple 1000 footers...now...with all the supertalls being built...we will NEVER catch burj dubai in height....but 4 1000 footers would be something that not even NY has...

yes...i'ma dreamer..

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,620 Posts
3rd place...i really like FIRST place...because NY and chicago have a stanglehold on 1 and 2....this is something we need to celebrate...but we need some 800, 900...and a couple 1000 footers...now...with all the supertalls being built...we will NEVER catch burj dubai in height....but 4 1000 footers would be something that not even NY has...

yes...i'ma dreamer..
I don't worry much about Miami's role in the "height game" because the city is hindered by FAA restrictions while so many others are not. In the long run (particularly in this era of supertalls becoming commonplace) it's not a winning hand.

But to me---so what? Miami is blessed with a spectacular location and can definitely make its mark with QUALITY architecture that is bold and exciting. The results on that front are mixed so far, but I believe it will become more important as the city matures and doesn't feel the need to salivate over every new project that is announced in the future---especially those that need to be improved before getting the go-ahead. Size isn't everything, as they say (they were talking about buildings, right?) :lol:

(btw, doesn't NYC have five over 1000' when including what's currently U/C?)

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

yes...i'ma dreamer..
According to Emporis Chicago has 10 900+ towers either U/C, approved, and one is still only proposed but I thinks its made it to approved. And most of those are really 1000+. I think Chicago is the Dubai of the Western World as far as skyscrapers go. New York dominates as far as number of buildings go, but Chicago dominates in height.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
But to me---so what? Miami is blessed with a spectacular location and can definitely make its mark with QUALITY architecture that is bold and exciting.
OBP is going to be quality architecture at its best, that building looks hawt:)

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,620 Posts
OBP is going to be quality architecture at its best, that building looks hawt:)
I just hope it happens. As we've all learned, there's no guarantees until you see actual construction (Met3 for example) and OBP is still years away---even by their own projections.

Still, it WOULD be the definitive centerpiece that we seek---and better yet, NOT another condo! :cheers:

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,620 Posts
:eek:hno: Here we go again.:bash:
Tell me about it, arch.

Let me guess: People in Miami will think they have the best skyline (or 3rd best or whatever)...people in Seattle will think they have it...San Francisco, Philly, Los Angeles, on and on.

Gee, you think this stuff might just be based on OPINION and personal taste (not to mention geographic bias based on where people live)---like the weather?

But maybe it'll be good for a laugh or two...:cheers:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
----------------->
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
^^ Dam$ it Director I'd love too.. but One last thing and this is going to rest. I promise:nuts: ..

:soapbox:
number of buildings does not make a skyline..you can have 1000 buildings but if 98% are all no more than 3 stories..thats not much of a skyline is it...
Not talking about number of buildings..We talkin bout skylines...

look at the LA picture you literally can count the buildings on that skyline..I don't see 768buildings, I maybe see a mere 24 on that skyline.. they are tall but only a hand full..Just like Houston, Dallas, Atlanta,Philadelphia, with the exception of San Fransisco and Seattle you can't really count their buildings on their skyline as easily...Like Miami
That is what the rating is all about...

but everyone is right they will defend their city till death:mad2: ...
apologies If I stirred anyone up...but again this topic is about skylines...

not architecture, not color, not life in a city, not but this city has 900 buidlings that are probably no more than 3 stories.. not by the water or not...
You get my point

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,120 Posts
Monday, November 9, 2009

Miami Ranks #3 Among U.S. Cities For Best Skyline

The most recent list compiled by Egbert Gramsbergen and Paul Kazmierczak, who contributed to the Almanac of Architecture and Design 2007, ranks Miami #3 in the United States behind only New York and Chicago.

http://homepages.ipact.nl/~egram/skylines.html
We've been ranked 3rd in the U.S. by them for the past three years now, but I find it interesting that we've moved back up into the teens worldwide. Maybe this new rule accounts for our change in ranking with cities ranked higher last year not having as many buildings under construction that have topped out.

"Update
aug 2009: updated most cities (the top 300 and some more). Change of rules: we only count u/c buildings when they are topped out. In prior versions all u/c buildings were counted."

I guess they want to make sure that whatever was supposedly under construction actually gets built.

1 - 20 of 1579 Posts