SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

Unregistered User
I've always liked the layout of this arena but I hate watching games there on TV. It seems so dark.

Is it the color of the wood or the lighting that makes it seem that way?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^ I think it's the lighting. They probably do the same thing they do at Staples Center and Madison Square Garden. But then again, the AA Arena is pretty high on the inside, therefore the upper levels are hardly visible on tv, and the walls and ceiling are all painted black, that adds the "darkness" to it.

Registered
The Frank Erwin Center used to do the same theater lighting look. When Rick Barnes became the head coach he simply requested the turn on the arena lights as well, and I think it looks much, much better with everything lit up.

One Grumpy S.O.B.
International Man of Leisure
It's not so much that the lighting makes the building especially dark, though that may contribute. Part of the reason is that the outer walls around the edge of the seating bowl, as well as many of the roof trusses are pained in either a dark charcoal or black color. The lighting isn't terrible, and even still it is by no means as dark as Staples Center is for a Lakers game.

I have been to two dozen games in this building and seen it full exactly once and that was when the Lakers came to town. It will be interesting to see how long the (largely bandwagon) Miami community supports the team in light of recent events.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^ Yup, I thought the black walls and ceiling trusses had to do with that. I haven't been there since 2007, so it's been a while. What surprised me was the entire parking garage UNDER the arena :uh:

One Grumpy S.O.B.
International Man of Leisure
It does indeed, but I don't believe it is all that large. It's only a level or two tops with a capacity of several hundred at most- basically for suite and club seat ticket holders. Us commoners are forced to park elsewhere around town. I imagine the days of $10 parking at the adjacent Bayside Marketplace have come to an end.

Registered
Here's an idea; since Miami is a boating city where you can boat all year round; why don't they create a "parking lot" in that inlet next to the Arena?
Alot of Miamians and south floridans have waterfront homes or boats in docks. Instead of going by car or metro mover, they could take the boat to the game!

Wouldn't that be awesome?
Imagine amphibious tailgating! :D

Registered
Here's an idea; since Miami is a boating city where you can boat all year round; why don't they create a "parking lot" in that inlet next to the Arena?
Alot of Miamians and south floridans have waterfront homes or boats in docks. Instead of going by car or metro mover, they could take the boat to the game!

Wouldn't that be awesome?
Imagine amphibious tailgating! :D
There already is a marina next to the facility. It is the Miamarina at Bayside.

No comment on tailgating since it involves drinking and boats and booze worse than cars and booze.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts