·
Registered
2,994 Posts
i heard they were going to buy the crappy hotel across from the u.m center

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
Registered
192 Posts
I feel that'd be a good location to help target the middle to low income residents of Miami. When is Miami going to address it's problem of catering simply to the rich white collars? So they want to make a biotech hub and community housing for scientists and doctors. Where are they going to put the people they uproot in the process? I guess just push them out of the city.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
well first they won't be uprooting many people because not alot of people live in the civic center,they'll be taking out quite a few hotels about three meaning loss of jobs but they will be creating alot more than what we lose.also theres plenty of affordable housing and market rate housing going up in this area.santa clara station,rivertown,terrazas river village,stadium apartments,alapattah station,aguaclara,the pinnacle and many more i can't remember.

so i find that this is great because it means new sleek towers,more jobs,more revenue,more riders at civic center metrorail station,rejuvenate that area and many more nice things that accompany this.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
Hisma said:
When is Miami going to address it's problem of catering simply to the rich white collars?
Where to start...first, if you just read the article, and then asked that question, then the question was answered in the article...no? Secondly, is that the premise is correct? I don't think it is....Miami Community leaders and business leaders have been addressing the housing issue for several years. The article in the Palm Beach newspaper is more concerned with it's impact/comparison/contrast to the Scripts center in their county.
Hisma said:
So they want to make a biotech hub and community housing for scientists and doctors. Where are they going to put the people they uproot in the process? I guess just push them out of the city.
Not only do they "want to" they are doing it. The Universtiy of Miami (the largest independant research university in the Southeast) owns the land in the Civic Center and is in the process of constructing 100's of thousands of lab/research space and a biotech incubator. The private sector will be adding housing, just as they have been doing in the last 3 years. Most of which will be built on parking lots. Miami doesn't simply cater to rich people, those projects are just better advertised.
In other U of M news, Pres. Shalahla said that they are going to develop 400 acres next to the Metro Zoo (400 acres is a lot o' land). The School of Architecture will lay it out and it will be a for profit enterprise for the school, but will provide lots of "workforce housing" (as if people that live in skyscrapers don't work).

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
hopefully palm beach will drop the ball, and scripps can move down to miami for "temporary" purposes, sharing space with UM, and theyll realize how kik ass the civic center is gonna b, and partner up with UM, and build a 1000 foot research tower wit no parking so every1s gotta take the metro rail and this will spark biotech 1000 ft towers all over miami

till then, UM is great, theyre buidiing alotta great shit and hopeuflly the 150 million bux the millers gave (their kids go to my skol), will result in alotta research expansion

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Yeah interesting but I cant see that city turning into a Major City like New Miami. Please, the most its gonna be is a suburb. And what exactly is scripps? I hear it all over our news up here. But still why would that city produce any 1000 foot buildings like someone said. And why would you want those polluting the Miami skyline. All in all I heard someone getting all hyped up over this and saying they hop it has big modern buildings or somethin, well since when did suburbs get big modern buildings, no that belongs to the Downtown area.

·
Registered
904 Posts
no that belongs to the Downtown area.
Most people who live in Miami's suburban areas consider the Civic Center area to be "downtown". Strictly speaking, it's not... but psychologically, it is. As a practical matter, Civic Center and "downtown" are just one freeway exit apart anyway (ie, if you get on I-95 downtown and head north, NW 12th Street @ SR836 is really the first exit where you can get off).

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
Everyone:) , IMO:eek:hno:
If the City of Miami wants to " create a new city ",
there's only one place it would work on their OWN Land ( well its an Island ),
Virginia Key, and it should start from the OLD should be torn down:bash: Marine Stadium, which since Hurricane Andrew, it was condemmed by the state of Florida never to be used again for any public facility within itself, but the parking lots around it can be used for boat races and outside shows.
I know the Stadium can never be used again:bash: ,
because I used to work there before Hurricane Andrew with the City of Miami Orange Bowl Stadiums Parking System.
But , you would probably say, Chuck:nuts: , Why " create a new city " next to the Largest Sewer Treatment Plant in the United States, Well they can build a wall between the two with automatic Deodorant smell sprayers on top of the Wall, lol:lol: .
But , remember Everyone:) , Do ya all know how much Unbuilt land is actually on Virginia Key and is already OWN by the City of MIAMI, except for the Miami-Dade county Sewer Treatment Plant, ITS all City of MIAMI property except for the U.M. ocean research school , Miami Dade Magnet high school and the Miami Seaquarium, and also the Rickenbacker Causeway is owned by Miami - Dade County with a part of the Old Virginia Key Beach which hasn't been open for over 25 years, That's all Folks !!!:cheers:

·
Savior of Gondor
1,505 Posts
Nah Chuck, dont build out there. Leave it as unbuilt up as possible. And the traffic would be aweful as there is only one road. Also Chuck you can take some great pictures from out there and on the road back, harder to do with lots of traffic. I doubt the friendly people of Key Biscayne would go for this anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts