SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1541 Posts

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Very nice photos, thank you! When is the Federal Courthouse going to open the "public green space" that is so beautifully-designed around it? Every time I walk down that street, it's always closed off by chain-linked fences!

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Very nice photos, thank you! When is the Federal Courthouse going to open the "public green space" that is so beautifully-designed around it? Every time I walk down that street, it's always closed off by chain-linked fences!
I think thats permanent for "homeland security" purposes much like the chain link fences up around the County courthouse.

·
Biscayne Corridor Realtor
930 Posts
what?

Boy I hope you're wrong because those fences are ugly! I thought the lawn was designed to mitigate those kinds of events. Having all of our city centers looking like Beirut with fences all around public buildings fits my definition of letting the terrorists win. God I hope the next administration puts an end to the siege mentality and takes all our terrorist fighting efforts underground, where they belong. :bash:

I think thats permanent for "homeland security" purposes much like the chain link fences up around the County courthouse.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Boy I hope you're wrong because those fences are ugly! I thought the lawn was designed to mitigate those kinds of events. Having all of our city centers looking like Beirut with fences all around public buildings fits my definition of letting the terrorists win. God I hope the next administration puts an end to the siege mentality and takes all our terrorist fighting efforts underground, where they belong. :bash:
AMEN to that!

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
If that's true then that's really sad and pathetic. Those are beautiful-designed landscapes, and as a public building should be open to the public. Those fences are hostile and look as if it's covering an abandoned building. Plus, if you really wanted to get in, I don't think a chain-linked fence is going to stop anyone, seriously.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Right on cue this article came out today:

http://cbs4.com/local/Miami.courthouse.federal.2.653032.html

"I Don't Feel Well Going To Court"
MIAMI (CBS4) ―

All is not well with Miami's downtown federal courthouse
complex. In fact, one of the buildings itself may be sick.

A brand new 14-story federal courthouse in downtown Miami is
surrounded by a chain-link fence, still unoccupied three
years after the date it was supposed to open. Cost to U.S.
taxpayers: $163 million so far, way beyond the original $100
million budget.

Across the street is the historic limestone courthouse
first opened in 1933, and there are reports of possibly
hazardous mold in the building, raising questions whether
the fungus caused or contributed to a magistrate judge's
unexpected death in September 2006 from a respiratory illness.

The judge's children also may file a wrongful death lawsuit,
depending on the results of a new expert analysis of the
mold's health risks.

The mold is "a huge, huge problem," attorney Alan Goldfarb
told the Associated Press. His law firm is representing the
children of late Magistrate Judge Theodore Klein, 66, who
had been in good health, an avid skier and jogger.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,620 Posts
^^What on Earth has caused the new couthouse to still be unoccupied three years after it was supposed to open? I had no idea that was the case.

In any regard, I tend to doubt the chain-link fence is connected to any Homeland Security measure. Something equally unattractive such as concrete posts is usually the permanent "solution" used at such facilities around the country. I got used to seeing a LOT of that when I lived in Washington, unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Why haven't they started occupying the new Courthouse? I thought that it was already occupied! In that case, what's the old Courthouse going to be used for after they leave? I'm thinking new City of Miami City Hall!

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Delays in the new building (from the cbs4 article):

Delays has plagued the project, known formally as the Willkie D. Ferguson Jr. U.S. Courthouse, including major electrical problems, water damage from hurricanes and a dispute between the building's owner, the General Services Administration, and its main contractor.

The Miami federal court clerk, Steve Larimore, said in an interview that some courtrooms still don't have viable sound and video capabilities necessary for trials and hearings.

So a state-of-the-art building originally scheduled to open in 2005 remains unused. Larimore and GSA officials say the new target is for full occupancy in gradual steps by the end of this year.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
:applause:

1 - 20 of 1541 Posts