SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone :) , I started this thread, because we talk alot about he Cranes and how many floors and Heights of our future towers in the Miami-Dade County Metro Area.

In Today's Miami Herald, you have to get one copy , soon, Its the pin up on your wall for the years to come a middle color page pull out to put up on your wall, Every tower to go up in the City of Miami is on this important pin-up, Please get a copy, now its in the section L, Issues and Ideas section of today's Miami Hearld, Sunday, May 22nd, 2005,

Believe Me :) , if you don't get a copy of today's paper, you will miss a pin-up of a Lifetime. its worth the dollar, or even five dollars, Get it, or you will be sorry, You'll thank me for this. :cheers:

p.s. I don't make many threads, but I had to try at least one, and to get you to get today's Miami Herald, it was this thread to get our attention, before you miss out on this excellent opportunity. please get this paper, soon. :)

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I agree....someone should scan the photo and put it on this thread for forum members to view. Many of us do not have access to The Miami Herald.

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
streetscapeer said:
can someone scan it in or give me a link to to this pinup chuck is talking about (is it the samething found on the interactive map?)??
YES Street :) , please get someone to Scan this pin up for all our out of towners who can't get the Miami Herald, and when I see you Street here in Miami soon, I hope , I will save you a copy of this very important pin up, of all " 90 " I mean ninety Towers under construction or planned in the City of Miami over the next 5 years, its got to have ,

please scan it any one :) , thanks, :cheers: This is Big, its the Best, you got to have it, its the New Miami Picture in full accross the whole middle page pull out pin -up for your wall;, and its in Color, it can't get any better, pay 5 buks at your city news stands, or out of town paper places,., BUT get it today. :cheers:

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
Well worth the dollar Chuck!! Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
here they are!

well worth the buck, two full newspaper pages, with diagrams of the new skyline at top, the miami skyline now on bottom and every project and height and info.

on the little square that showed the twin 1200 footers, they had an asterick next to hit and on the bottom left of the page, it said this

Height filed w/ city. Developer recently said he plans 1,200 ft tower, but no plans filed yet.

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Posted on Sun, May. 22, 2005

BERNARDO FORT-BRESCIA

`It is fantastic that Miami has evolved'

By ANDRES VIGLUCCI
[email protected]

If skylines embody a city's history, as architect Bernardo Fort-Brescia contends, Miami's right now is looking emphatically . . . up.

Miami's reach-for-the-sky wave of condo construction tells a dynamic story, he says. A tall but true tale:

An exuberant resuscitation of a dying downtown, a town that had spread into and over the Everglades now turning again to its birthplace to be recast as a real city, perhaps one of the world's great urban centers.

''When I arrived here in 1975, this was a city that was not. It was a huge suburb, with no viable downtown,'' Fort-Brescia said. ``It is fantastic that Miami has evolved, to see all these people who are considering moving downtown. Residents make cities. Revitalization of downtown makes for a better city.''

And the shape its skyline is taking is pure Miami, he said. A modern, expressive subtropical architecture blown up to skyscraper height. Steel and glass, but with curves and balconies and sliding doors and sweeping pool decks open to the sun and the breezes.

He ought to know. No single architect has had a larger hand in shaping Miami's skyline than the energetic Fort-Brescia, co-principal in Arquitectonica, the prolific firm that got its start here 30 years ago and now spans the globe.

In the 1980s, Arquitectonica shattered the dull mold of blocky high-rise condos with its adventurously geometric and colorful trio on Brickell: The Palace, the Imperial and the Atlantis (the one with the coconut palm in the square hole).

Now, after a long lull, the firm is again working on residential buildings downtown, with designs for 15 high-rise condos. Their size and presence will dwarf the Brickell originals, from the twin towers of One Miami at the mouth of the Miami River to curvaceous Blue at the foot of the Julia Tuttle Causeway to Icon Brickell, a three-tower behemoth on the site of the Sheraton Biscayne Bay.

To those who fear it's all too much and too big, Fort-Brescia says great cities require great density. Density means people, and people make possible the cultural institutions, the shops and businesses and the multiplicity of choices that make for great urban living.

Wisely, he said, Miami's leaders placed new cultural and civic attractions -- the Performing Arts Center, the planned Museum Park, Arquitectonica's own AmericanAirlines Arena -- front and center. ''But for them to survive there has to be a city around them,'' he said. ``Like San Francisco, and New York, and Philadelphia, and Vancouver, so many cities across America have great downtowns because people live there.''

Properly designed, residential high-rises can promote urban livability, said Fort-Brescia. And Miami city planners have done so by requiring that new downtown towers wrap their garages and street-level facades with apartments, shops or offices to create lively, human-scaled sidewalks, he said.

''They all sit on parking podiums, and above them are somewhat sculptural buildings defining what will be a very exciting skyline,'' Fort-Brescia said. ``They have balconies, so they have a lot of light and shadow. They have proportions that are more gracious than mega-office buildings.''

To those who say the boom stints on open space, Fort-Brescia says: Think of Biscayne Bay as Miami's Central Park.

``These buildings are in front of one of biggest open spaces in world. When you think of Central Park, it's surrounded by tall buildings. Or North Michigan Avenue in Chicago, with the skyscrapers overlooking the lake.''

Finally, he said, a high-rise downtown may prove a balm for the Everglades. Giving thousands of people the alternative of living in a dense, urban downtown can slow sprawl, he argues.

''More choices imply protection of the Everglades,'' Fort-Brescia said. ``These high-rises, in the end, are healthier.''

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MIAballinboi said:
well worth the buck, two full newspaper pages, with diagrams of the new skyline at top, the miami skyline now on bottom and every project and height and info.

on the little square that showed the twin 1200 footers, they had an asterick next to hit and on the bottom left of the page, it said this

MIAballinboi :) , thanks for the scan, and to everyone :) , Congrats to all to get a picture of this Page in the Miami Herald sunday edition may 22nd, 2005. " A day that will live Infinity " of the Pin up pull out centerfold page in the L section of the Issues and Ideas section. I hope everyone will enjoy this as much as I am looking now at all " 90 '' Projects and Towers on my wall in color to watch for the next 5 to 7 years as these towers be completed by 2012. :cheers:

·
Registered
606 Posts
this quote from the article bob posted above cracks me up:

To those who say the boom stints on open space, Fort-Brescia says: Think of Biscayne Bay as Miami's Central Park.
bit of a reach, eh? there's a slight difference between the two-people can actually walk in central park. biscayne bay is strictly for water sports.

there's just no getting around the fact that miami, especially downtown, needs park space. i'd love to see a bunch of land bought & turned into a nice, urban park downtown, but i don't know how that would happen. especially with the sky-rocketing land costs these days.

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bobdreamz said:
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/front/11705855.htm

click on the related links in the yellow box on the right.
hopefully my link will let you access the webpage.
Great BOB :) !!!, did you get today's Miami Herald, sunday, may 22nd, and saved the Section L for Life, lol. We really have the city of the future, right here in our very own back yard. I hope all " 90 " towers get completed by 2012. Go Cranes !!! :cheers:

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
^ SFDave hear my rants regarding the Museum Park and what should be done about BiCentennial Park. Obviously we will never have anything that equates Central Park.
As for the Herald we keep better track of what is going here than they do!...although the maps are nice.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
south florida dave said:
bit of a reach, eh? there's a slight difference between the two-people can actually walk in central park. biscayne bay is strictly for water sports. there's just no getting around the fact that miami, especially downtown, needs park space.
Yeah..that's a stretch. But I don't think is a big problem...Nimby's and conservationists yelp that there isn't enough public space and then the Herald parrots that yelping and suddenly it is the gospel.
Try this:
Get off of the Metromover at NE 11th Street (24 hour entertainment district), walk two blocks east into Bicentenial Park. Turn south on Biscayne Bay, walk through the park...along the water through (city owned) Bayside Marketplace, then through the next city park Bayfront, then by the Ampitheatre, then continue along the water by the Intercontinental, (in about 3 months, you can make the turn at One Miami and walk along the Miami River, then hopefully, you will be able to sneak by the Dupont construction site and under the Brickell Bridge, then stop for drink at the Hyatt. Cross over the Miami Ave bridge and hang out in Mary Brickell Village under the trees.
One day in the not so distant future, you could continue that riverwalk for 5.5 miles on the greenway.
Methinks that is enough park space for an afternoon.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
south florida dave said:
i hadn't noticed that. bad sign?

well not really i noticed that alot of projects are missing or projects that have been dead for a while were mentioned. coral station was mentioned and that been longtime dead,600brickell wasn't mentioned,brickell citicentre was on there,platinum 2 wasn't on there ,pompei not on there and so on.

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rx727sfl2002 said:
anyone notice opus didnt make the final cut?

opus is nowhere to be found on the map
YES, RX, I have to admit it now , the whole OPUS project towers 1 :bash: , 2 :bash: , 3 :bash: , 4 :bash: , 5 :bash: , all are off the planning stage. End of this story. :wallbash:

But everyone :colgate: , lets get back to basics :righton: , the Old 500 brickell building :eek:ld: came half down this morning by itself :eek:mg: , check it out at the Wachovia financial center web Cam,, its half down on the street and sidewalk, I was watching it last night and it was still up in front, but there was a backhoe digging in the back of the 6 floor tower, check it out please at the herald.com Webcam site and click on Wachovia Center tower ,then the little box at the top to where other sites are, and go to 500 brickell and zoom in to the half leftover tower to the left of the site. You'll thank me later, :cheers:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Opus

Info on Opus:

I had put a deposit on a unit last year at Opus. All sales reservations were canceled and all deposits were returned. I did reveive a hand signed letter from the developer stating the project was a no go. They promised the origional purchasers first dibs on the next project. So far, I have heard nothing. This letter was dated 2-1-05 and signed by Paul Murphy. The last I heard is that the developer, Opus Group was being forced to change its name due to a coppyright issue with another comopany. I felt the developer had handled this very professionally but it would be nice to hear some updates.
Has anyone heard anything?

900Biscayneguy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts