SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Hyatt & Gencom Propose 3 Downtown Miami Towers, Including A Supertall
Hyatt & Gencom Propose 3 Downtown Miami Towers, Including A Supertall – The Next Miami

This is a 3 tower development, one will be a supertall while the two other towers are listed as being 61 floors with an unknown height.

Representatives of the development team are in a attendance at a Miami River Commission subcommittee meeting today, where they are presenting the plans.
The Hyatt-Gencom development is proposed to include:
  • 1,806 apartments (including 264 serviced apartments)
  • 615-room Hyatt Regency hotel
  • 190,000 square feet of Class A meeting space
  • 20,000 square feet of coworking space
  • 12,000 square feet of food and beverage/retail in the podium
Tower three is planned to become the supertall, with 860 apartments. It becomes one of at least ten supertall proposals in Miami.
The existing Hyatt Regency and James L. Knight Center will be replaced for the new development.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Oh no, I stayed in the Hyatt Regency in 2016 and I really liked that place. It was cheap for Miami standards, the rooms were quite large and I loved the fact that it had an underground connection to the Metromover Station "Knight Center" and a back exit at Miami River. It seems to be a curse. That already is the third hotel I liked that will be demolished.

At least there will still be a Hyatt Recency after that and the underground connection to the Metromover will stay, but I will probably no longer be able to afford that hotel, as I am sure that hotel prices will double or so. I also doubt the hotel rooms in the new hotel will be as big as in the old one.

The hotel and also the convention center right next to it have been typical 80s architecture that you either like or hate, but I pretty much liked them. Just entering the lobby felt like a time travel into the 80s. The buildings are somehow ugly and dated, but we probably might never see new buildings like that again. Houston also still has a Hyatt Regency hotel in that typical 80s style. I hope at least that one will survive.

I doubt the upper floors will have hotel rooms anyway. It would be nice to have a supertall hotel, but in the US those mixed developements usually have hotel rooms at the lower floors and apartments at the higher floors. The only hotel rooms above 250 metres in the whole United States are in the Comcast Center in Philadelphia. Miami so far has only two hotels with rooms above 125 metres: The East and the Marriott Marquis. The Four Seasons in Miami is 240 metres tall, but the hotel rooms end at about 100 metres. That is quite different in Asia. There mixed used buildings usually have hotel room at the top.

Redevelopment is quite an euphemism for destroying a building. Reminds me of the German word "Rückbau", which means something likes "backwards building".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts