SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason, there isn't much about the Miami Intermodal Center nor the Miami Central Station, so considering it's such a large and very important project, I thought I'd start a thread. Here are new construction photos from May 2008.

http://www.micdot.com/rcc_construction_photos.html

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
Thanks for providing the link, kevin.

Is the rental car facility the only part under actual construction? From the photos and the website it appears no work is being done on the Central Station facet at all...wasn't it supposed to be u/c by now?

Any updates on that?

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for providing the link, kevin.

Is the rental car facility the only part under actual construction? From the photos and the website it appears no work is being done on the Central Station facet at all...wasn't it supposed to be u/c by now?

Any updates on that?
According to the Miami-Dade Transit, Miami Herald and MIC website:

Rental car facility: finished by October 2010
Metrorail line: construction begin Fall 2008, finished in 2011
Central Station: began early 2008, finished by 2011
MIA people mover: finished by Fall 2009 (according to the last week's Miami Herald article)
roadwork: finished by the end of Summer 2008

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Thanks for making this thread. I've also been curious about the progress of the MIC. Isn't this supposed to also become the southern terminus of Tri-Rail*?

*If Tri-rail isn't torn apart first because of the screw-ball idiots from the Florida House of Representatives (HORs) that decided not to give the fastest growing commuter rail-line in the nation the funding necessary for it to produce the high ridership potential it was desitined for.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for making this thread. I've also been curious about the progress of the MIC. Isn't this supposed to also become the southern terminus of Tri-Rail*?

*If Tri-rail isn't torn apart first because of the screw-ball idiots from the Florida House of Representatives (HORs) that decided not to give the fastest growing commuter rail-line in the nation the funding necessary for it to produce the high ridership potential it was desitined for.
It's already the southern terminus of Tri-Rail, but yeah. It's also going to be the southern terminus of Amtrak, as Amtrak is going to move from the Tri-Rail/Metrorail Station to this one. And as we all know, it'll be Metrorail's other western terminus.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Yeah I saw it yesterday they're flying!

I also noticed the cars waiting around the construction areas because they can't wait for people at the terminals. There should be a free one hour short term parking because the cars waiting there seem a bit.... off

·
Registered
950 Posts
^^Yes, it's going to be located exactly where the garage is on the right side of that panorama. The MIA Mover station as well as a bus terminal will be constructed in the area between the garage and the rental car center construction site.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^Yes, it's going to be located exactly where the garage is on the right side of that panorama. The MIA Mover station as well as a bus terminal will be constructed in the area between the garage and the rental car center construction site.
I see. Aren't they supposed to start construction on the Central Station in the coming months? Shouldn't that garage be demolished by now?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I believe that they need to finish the car rental portion first so the occupant of that garage can move to the new center and then they can demolish the garage.

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
Registered
950 Posts
They should have already started the MIA Mover/Miami Intermodal Center Station. This is the one that is located between the garage and the construction site. They will then begin the west portion of the concourse in October and once the rental car facility is completed--hopefully in a year and a half--they will begin demolishing the garage and building the rest of the station. The whole thing should be done by Q3 of 2012.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^I've seen it in the renderings, but I doubt well see it anytime soon.
According to MDT, they're set to start Metrorail construction this Fall 2008. They've completed all right-of-way acquisitions and realignments for power, water, sewage, etc. so it looks like they're on track for that.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
The Metrorail component shouldn't be a problem since it isn't dependant on federal funding (it's only a 2.5 mile extension). Hopefully it will come in on time but that can be an iffy proposition with any project like this. Either way, it's the one Metrorail expansion that can be safely assumed will happen.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts