SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Gator Moderator
926 Posts
Ok, so I've been doing lots of driving around the little Havana Area lately and am taken aback by the amount of midrises going up in this area. I personally think its great and is going to create a good vibrant hispanic neighborhood if this all done properly. In any case, I started this thread so we can track the construction of these buildings, eventhough most of these smaller low profile projects will not have websites.

Here is one of my favorites:
Altos De Miami
Its on its way up and is on the second floor already.

Mediterranea
Also rising quickly, I think it too is on the second or Third floor already...

San Lorenzo

Latin Quarter Specialty Center

There are many buildings being developed along Lejeune, Douglas, 27th ave, 22nd ave, etc...

I`ll start driving around with my camera to get some pics of the progress and some of the unknown projects.

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
TOUCANO :) , Great pics, Yes, I work also in this Little Havana, and I love the Red , White , and Blue Tower construction crane on the site of the Altos de Miami tower. Its great,
But Toucano :) , the Latin Quarters Specialty Center has been a Dead Stop from opening, Why ???, its been completed over 6 months, and closed off to the public, Its like a sitting Duck on S.W. 8th street and about 14th ave.Accorss form the Latin Quarters Mc Donalds. :cheers:

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
streetscapeer said:
I'm really impressed by Altos de Miami....there's alot more going on in Little Havana, especially the areas bordering Coral Gables!
STREET :) , bro, when are you coming down, its changing here in Miami everyday that goes by, Another Tower construction crane is rising !!!, I'm starting a new thread with Go Cranes !!!, we really have to start counting the cranes now in the City of Miami limits, its at 30 Cranes now, and Guess what, there's two new Yellow tower construction cranes going up now at the Opera Tower site by Tibor Hollo. and Wait a second , Yes !!!, two more Yellow tower construction cranes going up right now at the MIDTOWN Two Site . Go Cranes !!! :cheers:

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Can't get over that 2252 units...Thats a lot of condos, too bad its in such an awful location. Surrounded by industrial lots, car rental facilities and junk yards. River Rapids is in the upper River area to the East of the airport.

http://www.miamitodaynews.com/news/050526/fyi.shtml

SEVEN TOWERS ADVANCE: Miami's Historic and Environmental Preservation Board has recommended that the city commission approve two projects with almost 3,000 housing units in the Flagami area. Five 20-story buildings in Miami River Rapids at 1851 Delaware Parkway include 2,252 residences, 38,960 square feet of retail and 3,527 parking spaces. The second project, Coastal on the River, is two 11-story buildings at 2215 NW 14th St. with 645 residences, 1,080 parking spaces and 632,658 total square feet. Luciana L. Gonzalez, special-projects coordinator for the city planning department, said all applications for certificates of appropriateness "for ground-disturbing activity pursuant to the archaeological management plans" have been approved

·
hmmm......
New York
10,390 Posts
I wonder how much these condos are going for...they're prob cheaper/more affordable than the condos in the downtown/uptown area ......which equals more end users, more permanenet residents, and possibly more amenities in the area.

The Flagami area around the river might turn into a more affordable, but still vibrant neighborhhood for the middle class:)

It's a different target consumer...I Like it:D

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
About that name "Miami River Rapids". It turns out the name might make sense afterall. It looks like the side used to have actual rapids and maybe even some small waterfalls before the Miami River was transformed into a shipping chanel. Here is a cool link:

http://www.historicpreservationmiami.com/miamiriver.html

Miami River Rapids Archeological Zone
2810-2916 NW South River Drive
Dates of Site: Tequesta Camp,A.D. 1400-1500; Ferguson Mill and Homestead, ca. 1845-1852
Date Designated: 1990

a. Historic Sketch Map of the Falls of the Miami River drawn by F. H. Gerdes, 1849.

This archeological zone contains the remains of a pre-Columbian Tequesta camp or village and, on top of this, the ruins of the nineteenth-century Ferguson starch mill and homestead. These two settlements were located at the original rapids of the North Fork of the Miami River. Evidence of the Tequesta settlement at this site includes pottery sherds, stone flakes from the production of tools, and animal bones. Later, in the mid-nineteenth century, George Washington Ferguson and Thomas Jefferson Ferguson established their mill and homestead at this location. The mill employed 25 people and was the largest commercial site in Dade County prior to the Civil War. “Ferguson's Florida Arrow Root” was sold throughout the United States until the mill was abandoned due to hostilities resulting from the Third Seminole War.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Nice! A lot of great projects going up in Little Havana. The area has a lot of potential to become a destination in itself. I hope some of the major hispanic businesses based in Miami build offices or headquarters there...

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1
1 - 20 of 173 Posts