SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1124 Posts

·
Registered
6,818 Posts

Miami Marlins

2x Champion:
1997, 2003

The stadium deal is as close as its ever been and is up for approval this week. If approved construction would start in November. Also if approved the Florida Marlins will change their name to the Miami Marlins. The stadium will be built on the current site of the Orange Bowl in the Little Havana neighborhood of Miami, less than two miles from downtown miami.
These renderings are a little dated since the stadium adjacent to it is now being destroyed (its the original Orange Bowl) theres no word if these are the renderings they will use. Cost have now exceeded half a billion dollars. It will seat 37,000.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Oh wow....this looks awesome. Who is paying for it though? Knowing Jeff Loria, it wouldn't surprise me if he is asking the local governments to split the cost in half or something ridiculous.

·
Registered User.
2,249 Posts
My word! It's beautiful! :eek:kay:

Really nice. It has a Florida look to it, IMO.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Very interesting, perhaps not the most cleanest or most coheive, but thats definitely the most attractive retractable roof I have seen

·
Just A Pilot... :-)
526 Posts
If its true, I don't understand why the roof (expensive, no doubt) was approved. I know it gets hot and rainy in Florida during the baseball season but do they really need a retractable roof?
Well, it does tend to rain a fair amount in Miami. And a climate-controlled facility would allow it to hosts all sorts of different events. :)

·
Let's dance in style!
572 Posts
Great but why a retractable roof?
Baseball is a summer sport and summers are hot and shinny in Florida?

·
Banned
1,102 Posts
If its true, I don't understand why the roof (expensive, no doubt) was approved. I know it gets hot and rainy in Florida during the baseball season but do they really need a retractable roof?
Of course they do. Summers are impossibly hot in South Florida (100 plus degrees). It ain't Canada, dude.

·
Banned
1,105 Posts
if it is as hot as Arlington Texas in the summer, men they need a roof. We wish they had a roof on the ball park in arlington for the Texas Rangers.

·
Just A Pilot... :-)
526 Posts
if it is as hot as Arlington Texas in the summer, men they need a roof. We wish they had a roof on the ball park in arlington for the Texas Rangers.
It looks like they could put one on if they wanted to. :)

A fixed roof would cost Miami less but then they would be cooped up inside a dark dome when days are nice, a scene similar to Tropicana Field in Tampa. And the Rays want out of their cave.

:cheers:

·
Banned
1,105 Posts
It looks like they could put one on if they wanted to. :)

A fixed roof would cost Miami less but then they would be cooped up inside a dark dome when days are nice, a scene similar to Tropicana Field in Tampa. And the Rays want out of their cave.

:cheers:
The rays have plans for a new stadium
its HUGE and nice

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Agree on the retractable roof. Baseball in a hot climate all summer is simply a beating. If you notice, most of the ballparks in the hottest areas have retractable roofs or a roof. Houston and Arizona. Arlington is the one joke that doesn't have one. When asked about it, Tom Hicks thinks the idea is ridiculous. I don't. Perhaps if he looked at his non-existant track record(and the team's history) of getting high priced, free agent pitchers in Arlington, he might realize there is a mental land two fold physical problem with that ballpark. 1.) Playing in that heat is mentally draining for all positions, 2.) Pitching in that heat is a beating, 3.) Hitting in that same, hot rising air is dangerous to ones ERA, especially a park that cut off its only protection from being a home run mecca. Yet he scoffs. All that to come to the conclusion, that the Marlins(a team that has actually won something) would be wise to control their elements as Houston and Arizona have.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The stadium looks nice. But I really don't get it how the city of Miami could fall for the blackmail of Loria. They'll be wise if they will keep the team in Miami for the next 50 years. Otherwise Loria will move the team somewhere else if they don't draw over 2000 fans per game.

I know baseball is business. But Loria is only interested in making money. He doesn't give a damn about the fans. Why else would he trade away Cabrera and Willis to the Tigers? He already killed a franchise. The man is no good for baseball.

·
Banned
1,105 Posts
Agree on the retractable roof. Baseball in a hot climate all summer is simply a beating. If you notice, most of the ballparks in the hottest areas have retractable roofs or a roof. Houston and Arizona. Arlington is the one joke that doesn't have one. When asked about it, Tom Hicks thinks the idea is ridiculous. I don't. Perhaps if he looked at his non-existant track record(and the team's history) of getting high priced, free agent pitchers in Arlington, he might realize there is a mental land two fold physical problem with that ballpark. 1.) Playing in that heat is mentally draining for all positions, 2.) Pitching in that heat is a beating, 3.) Hitting in that same, hot rising air is dangerous to ones ERA, especially a park that cut off its only protection from being a home run mecca. Yet he scoffs. All that to come to the conclusion, that the Marlins(a team that has actually won something) would be wise to control their elements as Houston and Arizona have.
agreed, no one in the DFW area wants to go to a Rangers game in the middle of a July, August day. It needs a roof and any warm summer area needs a retractable for the warm weather days when there is no wind, 100+ degree heat and humidity. Man, you cant pay me to go to those games .

·
Registered
97 Posts
so does this mean no move for either the Rays or Marlins now? Very suprising. I thought at least one of the two Florida teams would have gotten the hell out.
The Rays have plans. First they have to get out of the Tropicana Dome. Then they have to finance the construction of the new stadium. So no decisions yet.

·
Banned
385 Posts
The Rays have plans. First they have to get out of the Tropicana Dome. Then they have to finance the construction of the new stadium. So no decisions yet.
their grand plans are the most suprising. I think most MLB fans assumed that team was gone--whisked away to Portland or Indianapolis. I hope they get that new stadium off the ground though--its awesome.

1 - 20 of 1124 Posts