1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Developer plans world's tallest condo -- 110 stories -- in Miami

Sun-Sentinel
Posted May 5 2005, 7:54 AM EDT

MIAMI -- It's only on the drawing boards, but a developer is proposing to build the world's tallest condominium tower in downtown Miami.

Leon Cohen bought the property Monday for $31.7 million and is preparing to submit plans for a 110-story tower that would be 1,200 feet tall. A companion tower of the same height would be a combination hotel-apartment building.

But it may not be easy to get approval for his Empire World Towers. The Federal Aviation Administration limits the height of downtown buildings because of overflights from Miami International Airport jets.

Developer Pedro Martin, who plans to build two nearby condo towers, said his building heights were limited to 649 feet.

The proposal by Cohen's Maclee Development would include 1,000 condo units and 500 apartments and hotel rooms. The project also would be the tallest concrete structure in the world.

``This is due to the hurricane weather in South Florida,'' Cohen said Wednesday.

The world's tallest residential building, the 21st Century Tower, stands 883 feet tall in Dubai. Florida's tallest high rise is the 789-foot Four Seasons Hotel & Tower in downtown Miami.

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
L.D.Gator :) , this is GREAT !!!!, but remember the Largest Hurdle that could cut the Towers down to 900 Feet EACH :bash: , THE FREAKIN F.A.A. :bash: , this is a long test to come. I know they will work it out somehow. ITS Got to Be BUILT !!! :cheers:
It also says that the F.A.A. :bash: cut down the Marquis Tower to 649 Feet, and the 600 Paramount Site on Biscayne Blvd has been cut down to 649 feet by the Damn F.A.A. :bash:

·
Registered
294 Posts
How is this the world's tallest? Isn't Trump Tower Chicago UC officially 1360 feet and a residential tower in Dubai UC is going to be 1257 feet?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Awesome! I really hope it gets designed by a world-class architectural firm and not the Miami wannabes who designs are aweful.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
^ I caught that toucano...on both NBC6 & CBS4 and it appeared to have a blueish-grey tint to them with recessed balconies like the Four Seasons and I agree they do look nice....what an exciting day.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
i say them on ch7 the windows look lighter,like a navy blue

·
Registered
10,088 Posts
ChuckScraperMiami#1 said:
L.D.Gator :) , this is GREAT !!!!, but remember the Largest Hurdle that could cut the Towers down to 900 Feet EACH :bash: , THE FREAKIN F.A.A. :bash: , this is a long test to come. I know they will work it out somehow. ITS Got to Be BUILT !!! :cheers:
It also says that the F.A.A. :bash: cut down the Marquis Tower to 649 Feet, and the 600 Paramount Site on Biscayne Blvd has been cut down to 649 feet by the Damn F.A.A. :bash:
Chuck, where did you hear that Marquis was chopped ?

I knew that the Pedro Martin Freedom Tower project was limited to 649 ft.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
who said marquis was chopped,no project has been limited since four seasons

marquis is a go,900biscayne is a go,and paramount park is getting faa approval right now

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
ok i think i need to clear this up,in miami from 200-1100 biscayne i believe theres a limit on height (650ft)or is it an ordinance,w/e. if you surpass 650ft the city makes you get an exception from the faa and mdaa.

·
Registered
456 Posts
How high will the balconies go? I mean once you get over 500 feet...it gets pretty damn windy up there!!!

I really can't imagine someone getting much enjoyment in their penthouse balcony 1200 feet up.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Whatever happens about the height, Miami's skyline is going to be insane by 2010. These developments along Biscayne will give Miami a great street and move the city into a league of great world cities.
Hopefully there will be great retail along the street levels of all the towers and pedestrians will be walking around downtown 24/7. The new residents will be able to go the grocery store, go shopping, visit the performing arts center or the new museums or watch a Heat game or shop at Bayside all within a couple mile stretch of Bicayne. That's gonna be awesome! I can't wait.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Old Proposed FAA Tall Building Zone over 20 years old

:eek:ld: This is the old proposal for the tall buildings zone from over 20 years ago. Not sure if it applies now. It was designed according to the landing paterns and runways at Miami International Airport.

I presume that the :master: FAA will now at least listen to developers before a proposed building's height is approved.

Will we ever see a 1,000 footer in Miami? I hope we do by 2010! :soon:

I think that San Diego's skyline is limited because its close proximity to its airport. Perhaps the landing paterns into MIA will also limit the height of our skyline.

:laugh: AM

magic-city

·
Registered
606 Posts
lauderdalegator said:
Hopefully there will be great retail along the street levels of all the towers and pedestrians will be walking around downtown 24/7. The new residents will be able to go the grocery store, go shopping, visit the performing arts center or the new museums or watch a Heat game or shop at Bayside all within a couple mile stretch of Bicayne.
doesn't really seem like there's gonna be all that much street level retail with some of these new towers on biscayne, though.

let's see, there's gonna be 50 biscayne, paramount park, marinablue, 900 biscayne, ten museum & the marquis right on biscayne. do any of them even have a restaurant or actual retail on ground floor? i know retail space is planned, but i haven't heard what's going in there.

·
Registered
10,088 Posts
I think they all have some street level retail space. And I think 50 Biscayne is supposed to have a Dean & DeLuca gourmet grocer.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.