Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
{{{Gustavo}}}
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apparently The City of Miami and Spine 3D were in Collaboration to Design A monument. FYI : No High Restrictions!!

Spine3D, a Miami based animation, and visual effects studio invites participants from around the world to suggest creative and compelling design ideas for a structure that celebrates the City of Miami. The competition calls for a visionary marker that will distinguish the Miami skyline from that of other great cities.

This structure can be a singular, freestanding building or it can be comprised of multiple components within the competition site. The program is not strictly defined; however, it has to encourage civic involvement and it should strengthen the urban fabric of Miami. Proposals should consider the human scale at the street level as well as the greater scale, at the urban level.

The central focus of all proposals should be an iconic structure, a monument to the pioneering and evolving nature of Miami.

There is no height, budget, or size restrictions for the proposed designs so entrants are encouraged to think on a visionary scale.

Winning entries will be selected based on the strength of the design concept and the quality/character of the rendered presentation image.
http://www.miamimonument.com

First Place: ROBERTO ROVIRA

Second Place: MING TANG

Third Place: JORGE PERALTA URQUIZA

Image too large, Click link to view High Resolution Version: http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1811/8008103/16562177/254823138.jpg

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
It's supposed to be a drawbridge, yes.

From the website link, there was no connection between the city of Miami and this competition held back in 2005. It was purely for fun.

Cool stuff to look at, regardless.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
So what does that mean? These are just "visions" and have no chance of actually getting done. I think the most reasonable one is the second one, although how much of an "impact" it would do or how it represents Miami, is beyond me, but it's a cool monument nonetheless. The first one just seems ridiculous and noone would fund that massive project and the third is nice but it'd have to be done by a private corporation to supply the rent for the building. Nice designs though.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
So what does that mean? These are just "visions" and have no chance of actually getting done. I think the most reasonable one is the second one, although how much of an "impact" it would do or how it represents Miami, is beyond me, but it's a cool monument nonetheless. The first one just seems ridiculous and noone would fund that massive project and the third is nice but it'd have to be done by a private corporation to supply the rent for the building. Nice designs though.
Yes they were just visions with no chance. It was simply a constest to see who could come up with the coolest idea. It was posted on here a year or so ago with quite a bit of discussion and I think a couple of forum members participated.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
So what does that mean? These are just "visions" and have no chance of actually getting done.
Correct. These are just fantasy images submitted as part of a "competition" held by this design firm in 2005, not actual proposals. No different than "Verticus" or other fantasy designs.

I kinda like the "bridges" myself, even though they're put in places where they'd be completely pointless and unnecessary! :lol:

·
Just another user
376 Posts
I personally hate the bridges, i like #2 the best, but it definitely wouldn't set Miami's skyline apart...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
A glass bottom bridge to nowhere would be pretty awesome out over the bay.
I've long thought that Miami needs an iconic monument. My dream is a lighthouse type memorial/watchtower. It'd be fitting, given our history with attracting sea-borne immigrants.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
^ I can just imagine the FAA complaining about the light or whatever and how it interferes with the landing or something :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts