SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
I'm trying like hell to find those raw numbers for you, Hialeah, but it's like it's a damn state secret or something! Already tried the Convention and Visitors bureau as well as Googling various permutations of "international visitors, u.s. cities...foreign tourists...top destinations...etc." Cripes, it's easier to find nuclear secrets than this, apparently.:lol:

Anyway, all I've dug up so far is a NY Times article showing NYC to have had 8.5 million foreign visitors in 2007 (presumably first among American cities) and another global list from "Euromonitor" (whatever the hell that is) that showed the top 100 cities in the world for foreign visitors. London was first on that, Miami 39th. I think it was from 2006.

I found another list from Forbes Magazine that showed the total number of visitors to various U.S. cities but I think it included both business and leisure travel...so Miami was ranked fairly low (in the teens). If it was a list strictly on tourist numbers, though, I'm sure the ranking would be far higher.

I'll keep looking. Damn internet!:bash:

·
Registered
589 Posts
What Jacksonville,Florida is not in the top 5,this survey is biased LOL. Great news Miami,way to go. This is a great tourist destination and a beautiful city at that.

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,120 Posts
2007 statistics have been released, and once again Miami has seen a huge increase in international tourists and gained market share. In 2007, international visitors to Miami were up 19%, and Miami is now the third most visited city in the U.S., behind NY and LA. If current trends continue, it won't be long before Miami surpasses LA for the number two spot.

http://www.ftnnews.com/content/view/1966/31/lang,english/
I sure hope it translates into some kind of market rebound so we can get the skyline "finished" among other things that need to be done.

·
Ça va?
3,755 Posts
I think before finishing skyline, we should have other needs satisfied first! Hope this help local governments ask for more money to finish/start a) Metro-rail extensions and new lines b) Miami Port Tunnel c) a long needed improvement for the MIA, the old section should be transformed and should look more like the new terminal, and d) the H.O.T (tolled H.O.V) for I-95.

I rather have them finish those before showing up empty skyscrapers to the public! How can a city be the 3rd most visited in the country and have this pathetic transportation system?! That's unacceptable!

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,120 Posts
I wonder what the least visited city is for international tourists? I'm going with Enid, Oklahoma.
I don't know, Spellbound. There is a Midwest cottage industry built around storm chasers because of foreigners who want to see a tornado. I'm going to go with Lewiston, Idaho. :lol:

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,120 Posts
I think before finishing skyline, we should have other needs satisfied first! Hope this help local governments ask for more money to finish/start a) Metro-rail extensions and new lines b) Miami Port Tunnel c) a long needed improvement for the MIA, the old section should be transformed and should look more like the new terminal, and d) the H.O.T (tolled H.O.V) for I-95.

I rather have them finish those before showing up empty skyscrapers to the public! How can a city be the 3rd most visited in the country and have this pathetic transportation system?! That's unacceptable!
Oh, I agree with you here! It's just that I've given up and thrown in the towel in that regard. :eek:hno:

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,120 Posts
No, but I think I might like to go!

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,120 Posts
Given the rise of China and the strong economic, political, cultural, and social ties Los Angeles has with that country; I doubt it.
Let's not forget Japan as well.

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
^ Well, now that you mention it, the majority of Miami's overseas visitors are probably from Latin America; whereas Los Angeles' overseas tourists come from all over the globe -- kind of like NYC. This is in part due to the fact that LAX is much more globally connected than MIA (many flights must transfer through ATL). Alitalia Airlines is now providing nonstop service from LAX to Rome, Korean Airlines to Sao Paulo, and Emirates to Dubai. In addition to that, a new nonstop service route to India, another emerging country, is expected in the coming months.

No Latin American country (or any country, really) is outperforming China. Period. Hong Kong and Shanghai are emerging financial centers and Beijing is set to host the Summer Olympics this year. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa pitched Los Angeles as a tourist destination to China, Japan, and South Korea during his 2006 Asia Trade Mission. With their newly obtained wealth, Asians will want to travel. And given Los Angeles' status as the gateway to the Pacific Rim, I anticipate lots of Asian tourists.

·
Registered
240 Posts
^^True but we do get a lot of European tourists (go to the beach or to the everglades and you'll see a ton of Germans, Austrians, Brits, Aussies, etc) here which you don't get in LA since it's so far from Europe.....

·
Registered
545 Posts
^ Well, now that you mention it, the majority of Miami's overseas visitors are probably from Latin America; whereas Los Angeles' overseas tourists come from all over the globe -- kind of like NYC. This is in part due to the fact that LAX is much more globally connected than MIA (many flights must transfer through ATL). Alitalia Airlines is now providing nonstop service from LAX to Rome, Korean Airlines to Sao Paulo, and Emirates to Dubai. In addition to that, a new nonstop service route to India, another emerging country, is expected in the coming months.
Miami is the second most visited U.S. city by Europeans, after only NYC. In fact, L.A. is popular with Europeans, but not as popular with Europeans as Miami is. L.A. is obviously more popular with Asians. 11% of all Europeans who visited the U.S. in 2007 came to Miami. Only New York City - at 16% - attracted more. L.A. is third at 9%.

LAX is very well connected around the world through it's airport, but let's at least use destinations Miami doesn't have. Miami has daily service to Rome (compared to LA's five weekly flights) and ten flights a day to Brazil (compared to LA's three). Dubai? L.A. has on that one, at least for now.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts