SkyscraperCity Forum banner
21 - 40 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
How about something in between thos two extreme examples. I am thinking of Chicago...which has both....supertalls and a vibrant street life...
Never liked the "wall" idea. Happened on biscayne from 8 to the 395 and also in front of pace park. I think itd be better to have growing height that extends inward. Leaving many people with a view further in and for that same reason making building more buildings more attractive.

Oh well:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

Better than nothing

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Never liked the "wall" idea. Happened on biscayne from 8 to the 395 and also in front of pace park. I think itd be better to have growing height that extends inward. Leaving many people with a view further in and for that same reason making building more buildings more attractive.

Oh well:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

Better than nothing
Growing height doesn't increase the number of people with a view. For example if you build a 100 story building then 100 stories have a view. If you cut that building in half and make it 50 stories and then build a 100 story building behind it then the first building will have 50 stories with a view and the building behind it will have the top 50 stories with a view for a total of the same 100 stories.

The way you get more people with views is to incorporate setbacks in the code above a certain height encouraging people to go taller with buildings that have a wide base and then taper as they go up. That way all the buildings at the top are spaced apart from each other and you create view corridors.

·
Registered
715 Posts
He never said there would be more people with views, only that people further in would have views. A 100 story tower with 50 floors with views is more marketable than a 100 story tower with 0 floors with views. I think his point was that building a wall along the eastern edge of the city discourages westward expansion. I can't say I disagree. Who wants to live on the west side of the Biscayne Wall?

·
7,305 Posts
Growing height doesn't increase the number of people with a view. For example if you build a 100 story building then 100 stories have a view. If you cut that building in half and make it 50 stories and then build a 100 story building behind it then the first building will have 50 stories with a view and the building behind it will have the top 50 stories with a view for a total of the same 100 stories.

Point taken, but isn’t this only true if your view is of a single linear horizon? If you’re trying to maximize views of a curving coastline or Central Park, for example, than stepping up over several blocks should, in fact, increase the number of views (i.e., increasing the length of the radius also increases the circumference). Of course, it’s likely a moot point, as Miami has a linear shoreline (not to be confused with a coastline).

As for the Dubai vs. Rome comparison, I too would take Rome in a heartbeat. I do not think we should sacrifice any street life in favor of height, but I also do not believe the two are mutually exclusive, even if most of our experiences thus far have been that we must sacrifice one for the other. Chicago is a great city – America’s best, in my opinion – but it’s still not as exciting as Rome. I think we should strive for Rome.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
He never said there would be more people with views, only that people further in would have views. A 100 story tower with 50 floors with views is more marketable than a 100 story tower with 0 floors with views. I think his point was that building a wall along the eastern edge of the city discourages westward expansion. I can't say I disagree. Who wants to live on the west side of the Biscayne Wall?
And a 100 story tower with 100 story views is more marketable than a 50 store tower with 50 story views. In order to build west you have to at least start somewhere.

The person who owns the land where the wall begins is going to price it accordingly. You think he's going to go to a developer and say "hey, I'll sell you this land cheaper so that someone else to the west 10 years from now can have more of an incentive to develop later".

So if you put restrictions and say you can only build 50 stories at the waters edge and 100 stories as you move inward then all thats going to happen is that developers are going to go inward one block, build 100 stories and no incentive to go west of that.

However if you build buildings like Vizcayne, you can have a tall building that still provides decent views west of it. Furthermore through proper city planning you should be providing features that provide value inland.

Take Brickell for example. It doesn't seem to have this problem. There are plenty of tall buildings along the bay. And yet all the new buildings have blocked views. But they are closer to other desirable features such as Metrorail, Metromover, retail, etc.

The reason developers aren't building behind the biscayne wall has nothing to do with the views. It's because there is nothing in that area OTHER than views. Which is why most proposals are large like World Center. If not then the natural progression would be to slowly fill in the vacant lots connecting the Biscayne wall down to Vizcayne and then filling in the western lots up from the south where there are other amenities.

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,110 Posts

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,110 Posts
As you can see, I've already done a bit of work on this, but it's nice to keep it on a separate thread like this.

Did you by chance get any photos of the Panorama Tower construction site on Brickell Bay Drive?
I think I missed this one and it's the best shot of the site. Looks like I was so fixated on Jade blocking Brickell House that I dismissed this shot altogether.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Downtown Development Map

DevelopmentMap

So yeah, I decided to do an entire development map of the downtown area.
Sites in blue are proposed, green - approved, orange - under construction, and red - topped out.

If you see any projects that are missing in the map, just give a reply so i can put it in the next version of the map. :)

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,110 Posts
Great stuff. Thanks for sharing this. I'm sure it was a lot of work.
Yes, that was a lot of work. It puts it all into perspective.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Thanks guys
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Your So Very Very Welcome MiamiFuturist:), Our Newest SSC Friendly Family With A Heart Of Gold For Us Miami Forum Friend:banana:,
Fantastic Work:banana: and I'll bet That Map And List Took You A Couple Of Days Of Planning and Getting The Facts Right On !!!:cheers:
^^^^^^^^^^^^Great Job :)!! And Welcome To Our SSC Friendly Family Forum Of Miami:banana: Again And Again And

Let's Go Miami Future Cranes !!:banana:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I think Melody, by Melo Group goes next to #38...great map!! :cheers:

21 - 40 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.