SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No suprise here. According a survey by AutoVantage Miami ranks #1 for the rudest and angriest drivers in the U.S.

http://www.nbc6.net/traffic/9225412/detail.html

Miami Tops Auto Club List For Rude Drivers

POSTED: 2:18 pm EDT May 16, 2006
UPDATED: 2:39 pm EDT May 16, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

MIAMI -- Miami has the most angry drivers, according to a new survey that also lists Phoenix, New York, Los Angeles and Boston among the top five cities for speeding, tailgating and cutting off other drivers.

The automobile membership club AutoVantage says the most courteous drivers are in Minneapolis, Nashville, St. Louis, Seattle and Atlanta.

The telephone survey included more than 2,000 adult commuters in 20 major cities.

Drivers also admitted some of their own etiquette breaches: nearly all acknowledge yakking on the cell phone and nearly two in three admit sometimes driving too fast.

A spokeswoman for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says "human behavior is so involved" in all types of crashes.

AutoVantage suggests drivers try to stay calm and avoid eye contact with angry drivers.
From Another article:
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0516RoadRage16-ON.html

MOST RUDE DRIVERS:

1. Miami
2. Phoenix
3. New York
4. Los Angeles
5. Boston

LEAST RUDE DRIVERS:

1. Minneapolis
2. Nashville
3. St. Louis
4. Seattle
5. Atlanta

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well, i disagree. Seattle has some of the nastiest drivers I have ever encountered. I lived there. Now I live in Boston. I think Seattle was far worse. Most people probably won't agree. But seriously, there was much more rage on the roads in Seattle.

·
Registered
660 Posts
HUMMMM!!! I disagree too. I have been to Miami many times and I have never found the drivers rude at all. Los Angeles is the capital of rudeness in my opinion. Here, the highways have almost no highway patrols, so with no enforcemnet, almost anything goes. Speed limits are never followed. Blasting through a red light, while on a cell phone and eating a big mac has become an LA pastime.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
never driven anywhere but miami... and my only other driving experience in another city is gettin driven around in chicago... and i can say that chicago is muuuuuuuuuuch nicer... even though i havent driven anywhere else, i cant imagine anywhere being worse than miami...

if miami is the worst... and i for a fact know that i am one of the most aggresive drivers in miami (a teenager, go figure, i guess all the old people complaining about us have some value)... does that make me one of the worst in the country?

·
Savior of Gondor
1,505 Posts
That list is crap. I lived in Miami,and Minneapolis and have driven in Seattle, Phoenix, St Louis and Atlanta and Minneapolis is the worst. Man that place introduced me to road rage. I had a guy with a kid in his truck try to run me off the road because he had to slow down to 65 as I passed a bus and got out of the way right after, miles later he was getting off the highway so I went into the next lane and he tried to run me off the road again. Its crazy, Minnesota nice has nothing to do with Minneapolis (actually its suburbs are worse) or its highways. I have never seen so many birds (the kind at the end of your hand) than in Minneapolis. Im happy to be away from there and its drivers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Miami is bad, but not the worse. I've been to Atlanta many times and I agree 100%
Atlanta has the nicest drivers I've seen.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Well, Miami has both stupid and rude drivers. If you use your indicator when merging, nobody lets you in but if you don't use your indicator, they beep at you. Yesterday, I had someone honk at me to ask if she could go ahead of me and another person beep at me for not turning right at a red when I was waiting to drive foward. Today, I spent 50 minutes driving the five or six miles from East Kendall to UM and encountered many assholes allong the way. I dunno anything about driving in Minneapolis but I assume their traffic doesn't compare to ours. When you spend as much time in traffic as we do in Miami, you stop caring about other people on the road and focus on getting where you're going fast. If anyone disagrees, drive west on 836 in the afternoon and see if you don't feel like shooting someone afterward.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Boston

i was just in boston two weeks ago and i have to tell you they shoot the finger. one car takes up the whole green light and traffic crawls inside the city while on the highways the traffic is sporadic as if they where falling asleep at the wheel or drunk and while speeding on old pot hole filled roads.

my rental car had a taillight that was busted by some idiot who cant parallell park and i got a flat tire (on a brand new tire) ripped to shreds while on the highway. people sped by and almost hit the car more then 10 times in a 5 min period.

i found that miami although has some bad drivers, and speeders that are trying to get past the bad drivers. has much better traffic then boston i think the survey was very biased... just like they always are...

sometimes i think they give us bad pr so people wont want to move here.
but some people just have to much common sense.

·
Banned
137 Posts
Miami probably has the most stupid, braindead, moronic, pickup truck driving, reggaeton blasting dangerous drivers in the US, but rudest...no.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I was just in Miami for a couple of days and I had no problems on the road. I will say though that I was really impressed by all of the new buildings being constructed. The Miami skyline is looking really good these days.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I almost got hit by a car on my way to work today by some guy that tried to skip a whole bunch of people in an empty merge lane. I was at a standstill about thirty feet beyond the end of the marge lane. He just barely missed my mirror by driving on the swale. That made me sooo angry. I think I'm going to start taking the metrorail.

·
Banned
96 Posts
Of the 50 or 60 sizeable cities I've been to, I would have to agree with that list. Miami does have the shittiest drivers bar none.

I believe, also, another recent study confirmed that South Florida is the most pedrestrian unfriendly urban area on the country. A third study, by a large insurance company I believe, said that Pines Blvd. and Flamingo Rd up here in Broward was the nation's most dangerous intersection - which I find inconceivable, until I realize what kind of drivers we have in this state.

247 Posts
I agree 100%. keep in mind This is not the first time Miami has hit number one rudest drivers.it tops the list in others things as well. both good and bad.I am a truck driver and i've driven all over the united states. I must admit Miami has the rudest drivers and the most road rage.But its My city and I still love it " born and raised in the county of dade".

·
6,887 Posts
Of the few cities I've driven in, Miami has the rudest, I'd say. You won't see much more honking, cutting off, middle fingering, etc. in Miami than in other cities, but the difference is that much more of it in unnecessary. I can understand a little honking and cutting off in a place like DC or Boston where it's bumper-to-bumper all day long. But in Miami they'll do all of that on wide open, free-moving roads. I was driving up 107th last night actually. The road was empty and I was going 5-10 mph over the speed limit in the center lane. Some guy drives up behind me and starts tailing me. Instead of switching over to either of the other two empty lanes on both sides, he starts flashing his brights at me for me to move over and let him speed by. I slowed down. He eventually went around me and flipped me off as he passed by. That is kind of driving that I've only encountered in Miami. The kind where other drivers feel they have the right to be angry at you for not breaking the law, or for not allowing them to drive even more recklessly than they already are. I also hate the honking that occurs one milisecond after the light has changed green, as well as the caravan of cars waiting in the center of the intersection for the light to turn red so they can make a left-hand turn. These are unique to Miami in my experience. We're all jerks down here (present company excluded ;) ).

247 Posts
actually to peter smith not that a disagree with you on most things its true, but it ranks much higher in traffic than dc and even a pinch above boston in some reports.The only city that beats Miami every time is LA in traffic.In My opinion boston and Miami are neck and neck in traffic even though at times miami has been worse and boston has been worse.I mean come on bro ever been on the 826 the 836 or I95 during rush hour or even on sundays you saying its not bumper to bumper in Miami lol? the accident reports are just reiculouse I would say the most accidents are in Miami by far. I have been around the country and i think it should be L.A., Miami, then, boston because of the big dig then, chicago then ,san francisco then, orlando then probably nyc, because they are much smaller in land area so its a shorter comute and beleive it or not denver is pretty bad also then lately seattle has gotten pretty bad for some reason maybe its all the icy rain they had not to long ago.Philly is also pretty bad at times.Houston at times can be bad but not always.The least problems with almost no traffic that i can recall are in Portland,indianapolis, milwaukee,st louis kansas city ,minneapolis,pittsburg, cleveland salt lake city and biose.

·
Savior of Gondor
1,505 Posts
Peter I have had issues with people beeping the second the light changes in Minneapolis as well. Im not sure what the people are thinking, but it only makes me go slower :)

1 - 20 of 109 Posts