SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any information on development of the Miami River north of 22nd Ave? A big project called Brisas del Rio was supposed to be built where the old Yacht basin is, but I see no signs of anything happening. I always thought that area was a huge amount of wasted space. I know the Rapids development is trying to get approval too. Any thoughts on whether these things will actually be built?

·
Registered
507 Posts
yeah it should have a started while back according to the job reports i get

Project Name: Brisas del Rio

Project Type: Building Use: Reported: Status: Private / Public: Value:
New Construction
Site Work Retail
Multi-Residential
Recreational Use 10/12/2004 Pre-Construction Private $90,000,000

Project Address: Bid Date: Est. Start Date:
1583 NW 24th Ave, Miami Beach FL 33186 January 2005 February 2005

Description:
New construction and site work for a new residential complex in Miami Beach. Working plans are calling for three, 21-story towers to house 698 one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments, flats, and two-story townhomes ranging from 800 to 1,600 square feet. The project will also include 30,000 square feet of ground-floor retail, a marina, and a public river walk.

Construction is expected to commence February 2005. Interested parties should direct inquiries to the builder.

Project Documents (0), Maps (1), Photos (0):
View map of project location.

Divisions of Work:
General Requirements, Site Work -- Excavation, Paving, Landscaping, Concrete -- Cast-in-Place Concrete, Pre-Cast Concrete, Masonry/Stone -- Brick, Stone, Stucco, Metals -- Structural Steel, Wood & Plastics -- Millwork, Casework, Thermal/Moisture -- Membrane, Metal Roofing, Doors/Windows -- Storefront Windows, Finishes -- Flooring, Tile, Carpeting, Paint, ACT, Drywall, Specialties -- Signage, Special Construction -- Pool, Conveying Systems -- Elevators, Mechanical -- HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical

Project Contacts:
Name: Company: Role: Phone: Fax:
Servei Sosa E & F Contractors General Contractor (305) 255-1674 (305) 378-0413
Homero Meruelo Merco Group Developer (305) 865-1250 (305) 868-4090

Bidding Info
Project Name: Brisas del Rio, former “Florida Yacht Basin”
Contact/Developer: Merco Group Inc., Ben Benash, (305) 779-5373 , 561-296-3300.
Description: mixed-use development with residential, retail and marine facilities connecting to a publicly accessible riverwalk.
Units: 698 residential units
Status: Requesting a land-use and zoning change from Marine Industrial (SD-4) to Commercial.

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
WOW Dave :wave: ,
where do you get this Great Information from ??? :bowtie:

Keep up the great work, my friend :hi: , Yes its just west of N.W. 22 ave bridge, and north of N.W. 14th st. along the Miami river, that site has been vacant for years !!! :eek:kay:

They would need alot of fill for the old Yacht basin that was there, and a huge new seawall will also have to be put in,

its an old junkyard area now. :runaway:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Miami River Commission is opposed but I don't see why it's better to have an empty junkyard. If it was a functioning marine industry I could see the point to their objection.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
Ceilingfan said:
The Miami River Commission is opposed but I don't see why it's better to have an empty junkyard. If it was a functioning marine industry I could see the point to their objection.
Yeah, it is kind of lame to have a big open lot, but the thinking of the MRC is that once there is a change in zoning to residential, you can never go back. The approved master plan calls for residential to be concentrated on the lower and mid river, and marine industrial to stay in the upper river. You can easily see the Marine Industries point of view.

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I have read the master plan. I realize that once a slip is filled in it is gone. But I still don't see how it hurts the marine industry to build housing on land that nobody is using or plans to use. The local residents aren't objecting to development, that's for sure. If they are lucky, maybe more of the land will be developed and they will get a some services in the area.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
Ceilingfan said:
Yes, I have read the master plan. I realize that once a slip is filled in it is gone. But I still don't see how it hurts the marine industry to build housing on land that nobody is using or plans to use. The local residents aren't objecting to development, that's for sure. If they are lucky, maybe more of the land will be developed and they will get a some services in the area.
I'm not talking about slips...the issue is land that might be used for marine industrial use.
As I sit in the Miami River Commission meetings listening to the Marine Industry, the Developement community (whom I represent), and the residents (I'm also a MRiver Property owner), it's interesting to see the economic impact of the Marine Industry, and with all the information, you can see why it wouldn't be prudent to eliminate forever land that can help satisfy the economic development needs of the community through a diversified economy.

Sure residents like services, but they also like jobs. Restaurants do not necessarily have to be on the water, the shipping depots do have to be on the water.

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1
1 - 9 of 9 Posts