SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 617 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I can't say I'm a fan of it. The exmiami article comparing it to other classic observation decks like the Eiffel Tower makes me even more opposed to it. Besides, it would ruin the view of the Bay...which is one of the main draws of Bayside and Bayfront Park.

It's totally out of place with the rest of the city in my opinion.

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,110 Posts
It looks like a giant hairpin to me, and I think it will end up being ridiculed as such. Plus, One Bayfront Plaza is supposed to have an observation deck and will be taller.

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,110 Posts
WTF, so Swire does it, now everyone wants a 1000' footer?
When I first saw the thread title, I got excited at the thought of somebody else planning a supertall building. Then, I see it's only going to be an observation deck that won't even be taller than two of the buildings we already have planned. Then, on top of that, the design looks like something a woman would wear in her hair. Thanks for posting this UMdev, but I don't see this doing for Miami what the Space Needle does for Seattle.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I first saw the thread title, I got excited at the thought of somebody else planning a supertall building. Then, I see it's only going to be an observation deck that won't even be taller than two of the buildings we already have planned. Then, on top of that, the design looks like something a woman would wear in her hair. Thanks for posting this UMdev, but I don't see this doing for Miami what the Space Needle does for Seattle.
I have to disagree. They would be placing in on a piece of land that otherwise would have nothing on it. It would also help bayfront in bringing more people in and making downtown as a whole a better destination.

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,110 Posts
I have to disagree. They would be placing in on a piece of land that otherwise would have nothing on it. It would also help bayfront in bringing more people in and making downtown as a whole a better destination.
I understand your point alright, I'm just afraid of this becoming a laughing stock for the city and really hurting us in the long.

·
7,316 Posts
I don't fear that this would make us a laughing stock - if people want to make fun of Miami, we have given them plenty of better reasons - I just think this might be an afterthought from the beginning. They've managed to make a nearly 1,000 foot structure on a prominent stretch of land almost entirely unnoticeable, in my opinion. Between this thing and the "signature" bridge for 395, we're not proving ourselves to be very skilled at making iconic symbols.

On the other hand, it might be a good thing to have a kitschy observation tower to siphon off the tourists from other, more sophisticated observation towers. Kind of like how the Sears/Willis Tower is for tourist photo-ops, meanwhile the Signature Room permits a much more relaxed, intimate experience to truly take in and admire Chicago.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
I think it's a bit silly looking, too, but not ludicrously so.

Either way, I would give it very little chance of being realized. Essentially, it is just an observation deck and a nightclub. Not sure investors would be clamoring to get in on the action on something so limited in scope.

Now, if it could be redesigned to better resemble a famous TV detective from the 70's...

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,110 Posts
I don't fear that this would make us a laughing stock - if people want to make fun of Miami, we have given them plenty of better reasons - I just think this might be an afterthought from the beginning.
I don't think those reasons stick out nearly as much as this will.

1 - 20 of 617 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.