Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just some thoughts on this ;what the benefits of this would be and the problems this would bring. Is it logistically possible? I feel Tallahassee is too far from major cities.

·
Registered
10,115 Posts
I think there was serious talk to this effect about 20 years ago, and it was slapped down pretty decisively.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i dont think that would ever happen. South florida is too different from the rest of florida. People outside of south florida dont really relate or associate themselves with miami. Miamians really have more in common with new yorkers than floridians. From an economic persepctive i could see it being a benefit , but culturally miami and the rest of south florida is really like its own state. Just too different from the rest of florida, but thinking about it major citires are barely ever the capitals of thier state. La isnt nether new york city. So i dont know that could either be coincidence or could have a greater meaning.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I think Orlando is a lot better a candidate for capitalization than Miami, solely because of its central location to the state and its diverse make-up. Politically, economically, and conveniently it makes a lot of sense for Orlando to become the new Capit"a"l.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Umm i dont know about orlando. I think tampa would be perfect. Its diverse. Has a great economic future. Image wise. The place looks amazing. Olrando might give the impression that all florida is is theme parks even though we know that even orlando isnt all themeparks, you know the captial has in my opinion have to be the face of florida.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
They'd have to raise the sales tax in order to get the money to buy/rent the buildings in Miami.

I'm happy just being the Capital of the Americas.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It would definitely change the infrastructure of the CBD in that they would need to build new government buildings which would get rid of most of the blighted areas. A nice capitol building with a golden dome woould look nice.It would also increase our tax base.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Just leave it in Tally, Miami and Tampa are idk just dnt feel like capital cities and Orlando, people just think of it as a theme park type of place, again just leave it in tally. The only big cities that are capitals are probaly Atlanta, Denver, St. Louis, and some other ones im probaly missing.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I think Jeb once supported having the state buy up a few thousand acres along one of the (then) new (or future) beltways around Orlando and progressively moving the capitol from Tallahassee to Orlando... but that was long before he was elected, and Tallahassee's past decade of explosive growth. There's just too much invested in Tallahassee at this point to even contemplate moving it. In all seriousness, it would probably be cheaper to build a supersonic maglev subway from Miami to Tallahassee than it would be to buy new land and rebuild the capital in Orlando today... and that doesn't even BEGIN to calculate the private losses to homeowners and businesses in Tallahassee as the city's entire economy and real estate market collapsed.

50 years ago, moving the capitol to Orlando would have been sensible and easy. 25 years ago, a compelling case could still be made for it as a long-term investment. Now, it's too late.

Incidentally, even if moving the capitol WERE an option, I think it's safe to say that Miami would never, ever be approved by the rest of the state's voters as its new location anyway. In case there's somebody who somehow hasn't noticed yet, the rest of the state doesn't exactly view Miami as an ideal to aspire towards, and generally use the word "Miami" only perjoratively when discussing matters of civic, infrastructure, or general quality of life...

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
^^ Agreed on all counts.

I had a friend years ago whose dad was a state legislator that actually gained a bit of notoriety (and a LOT of hate mail) for proposing Orlano as an alternate capital site. Needless to say, the proposal quickly died.

Miami would be unthinkable. As you said, the unfortunate truth is that Miami is practically a dirty word elsewhere in the state. Not to mention that it is no more geographically sensible to the rest of the state than Tallahassee itself is.

Regardless, it's a non-issue. The capital isn't going anywhere.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I agree on all counts with miamicanes, but I still have to ask why people would want it moved? Transportation issues are so last century. Do you think people in Tally aren't qualified or is it just some kind of hometown pride issue?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Transportation issues are so last century
... unless you're in Miami, in which case there's absolutely no way to get to Tallahassee that isn't painful and doesn't suck. MIA is piss-poor for domestic flights, and beyond dysfunctional as an airport for intrastate travel. Tallahassee is a brutal drive, and meaningful rail travel is nonexistent. And unfortunately, none of those problems are likely to get any better in the next 10 or 20 years unless the county decides to let regional jets fly into Opa-Locka and allow intrastate passenger service (both of which are categorically prohibited under current county law). Rail will happen eventually, but even under the most optimistic plausible scenario (ISR to JAX, HSR to Tally) it'll STILL be a 5-8 hour trip for us.

And before someone brings up "telecommuting" as an option, well... no. When it comes to government lobbying and civic activism, there's no substitute for personally standing in front of someone's gatekeeper/receptionist at the exact same moment the person you're there to see comes walking through.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Incidentally, even if moving the capitol WERE an option, I think it's safe to say that Miami would never, ever be approved by the rest of the state's voters as its new location anyway. In case there's somebody who somehow hasn't noticed yet, the rest of the state doesn't exactly view Miami as an ideal to aspire towards, and generally use the word "Miami" only perjoratively when discussing matters of civic, infrastructure, or general quality of life...
Thats because people from the rest of Florida aspire to ideals like: quiet, low density, sprawl, auto-centric... BORING!!!

There's a reason why they don't like places like Miami, Chicago and NYC and never will. And its the same reason why I would never leave Miami for anything but a bigger version of it (Manhattan is about the only place I would move out of Miami for). I see it as a source of civic pride being from a town that has a predominantly Hispanic accent instead of a southern accent. It show's just how much more culturally dominant Miami is to any other city in this state. And urban wise... If I lived in Orlando I would leave it for Tampa. If I lived in Tampa I would leave it for Miami. And I might someday leave Miami for NYC. But I am never going backwards baby!!! Those people have made their choice of what kinda lifestyle they like, and we have made ours. I love saying say "WHAT that condo is below the 50th floor!!! Thats so TAMPA!!!" "WHAT that nightclub is only open till 3AM!!! Thats so Orlando!!!". I relish statements like that and rub it in their faces as if it weren't a bad thing to them.

Matters of quality of life huh... quality of life indeed. I guess it all depends on what your idea of quality is. And last I checked this web page wasn't called Suburban City, so I think I'm among like minded individuals.

Now the fun part comes when we all get to sit back and see who's is more sustainable. Although I have heard that living in quiet places is conducive to suicide from boredom. And I must admit, thats a pretty effective way to keep carbon emissions and sprawl in check. ;)

·
Banned
579 Posts
Thats because people from the rest of Florida aspire to ideals like: quiet, low density, sprawl, auto-centric... BORING!!!

There's a reason why they don't like places like Miami, Chicago and NYC and never will. And its the same reason why I would never leave Miami for anything but a bigger version of it (Manhattan is about the only place I would move out of Miami for). I see it as a source of civic pride being from a town that has a predominantly Hispanic accent instead of a southern accent. It show's just how much more culturally dominant Miami is to any other city in this state. And urban wise... If I lived in Orlando I would leave it for Tampa. If I lived in Tampa I would leave it for Miami. And I might someday leave Miami for NYC. But I am never going backwards baby!!! Those people have made their choice of what kinda lifestyle they like, and we have made ours. I love saying say "WHAT that condo is below the 50th floor!!! Thats so TAMPA!!!" "WHAT that nightclub is only open till 3AM!!! Thats so Orlando!!!". I relish statements like that and rub it in their faces as if it weren't a bad thing to them.

Matters of quality of life huh... quality of life indeed. I guess it all depends on what your idea of quality is. And last I checked this web page wasn't called SuburbanCity.

Now the fun part comes when we all get to sit back and see who's is more sustainable. Although I have heard that living in quiet places is conducive to suicide from boredom. And I must admit, thats a pretty effective way to keep carbon emissions and sprawl in check. ;)
same thing happens in california, why is it that san fransisco or LA are not the capital, they are much better than sacramento they just dont want to put it in those cities.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts