SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just back from a trip to Miami and New York and I have to say that while New York was as exciting as ever (like London it is incomparable to ordinary cities), I was very disappointed with Miami.

Yes Ocean Drive with its mile long Art Deco avenue is unlike anything else but it has become almost a theme park and is a bit surreal. It even has a 1940s big black car equipped with a waxwork Humphrey Bogart sitting outside the Casablanca Hotel.

But the main part of Miami is surprisingly soulless completely pedestrian unfriendly and dominated by the car.

Vancouver on the other hand which I visited last year I found absolutely delightful, a great place to walk around in (it was July), great ambience , loads to do, very safe, full of inviting restuarants and bars and the little boat trip over to Granville Island (forties and fifties one and two story industrial turned into shops, art galleries, restuarants and a micro brewery) was great fun. It is also great for winter sports and water sports, river rafting

Leaving New York to one side as it is in a league of its own
I would like to offer my analysis of the North American Cities that I have visited in terms of whether I would live there.

1. Vancouver.
2. Toronto. Not NYC but big lively cosmopoliton and safe.
3. San Diego. OK not to pedestrian orientated but the weather is ideal and the coastline and beaches are great.
4. Seattle. Good but not as good as Vancouver.
5. San Francisco unique, interesting and a good street life but a bit overrated and an edgy feel to the streets if you stray.
6. Los Angeles a great place to visit but...
7. Miami
8. Las Vegas. Beneath the superficial glamour it was a bit seedy and shallow.

I have not visited Chicago or Boston or Washington or New Orleans and I wondered what other peoples experiences might be and what their reccommendations for future trips might be?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry Mr WJFOX2002, I made a mistake, no need to hit me on the head with a hammer!

That's like blasting your horn at a learner driver because he stalled at the traffic lights.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts