SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
From curbed:
Meet Artcite I
Plans were submitted to the city this week for a "condominium-style hotel development" to be built at New Hampshire and West 7th (current site of a parking lot). The plans call for a 23-story hotel with 226 suite-style guest rooms, ground floor retail, a restaurant, a fitness center, and 318 parking spaces, mostly above-grade on the second through eighth floors. If approved, construction is slated to start in the first quarter of 2010, with completion planned for first quarter 2013. The developer named is an entity called Newkoa, LLC, which may or may not be affiliated with Los Angeles-based real estate investment firm Art Nouveau.

Pics on curbed.

·
Or is it?
10,769 Posts
I am also reading their list of trees and it's all cheap, nasty ass trees...

"Orchid Tree"... it's a bean plant!

Star Jasmine? Mightaswell smear dog shit on the windows!

Flowering plum looks nice for 2 weeks out of the year.. the rest it just looks like a dead tree

Indian Hawthorne!? The Cheaper Japanese Boxwood would look way better.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I am also reading their list of trees and it's all cheap, nasty ass trees...

"Orchid Tree"... it's a bean plant!

Flowering plum looks nice for 2 weeks out of the year.. the rest it just looks like a dead tree

Indian Hawthorne!? The Cheaper Japanese Boxwood would look way better.
are you going to be a landscape architect some day?

·
Registered
18,637 Posts
Negatives: terrible name; terrible look; probably cheap.

Positives: it's in a perfect area for spreading high-rises (off of Wilshire and off of Vermont); 7th is developing a resudential urban look of its own; it creates density near a metro station (purple and red); makes subway to sea look more needed and fund-worthy

Maybe the review board can nudge the aesthetics and quality upward?

·
Registered
426 Posts
It's very ugly. One day this city will get it right. One day.
Yeah, by the time we're all dead probably. This city will never learn. What happened when they built new downtown? Old downtown became crap! What happened when we lost the Red Car? Traffic became the worst in the nation along with pollution! What happened when we built the FREEway system? We have to pay a shit load of taxes to maintain them and most of them are in horrible condition. What happened when the city allowed high-density along Wilshire? We didn't have the transportation system to support it! And what happened when the LA River became a giant concrete ditch? It became the world's ugliest waterway that's covered with graffiti! Must I go on? Why do they even bother calling it the LA River still? It should be the LA Wash until they rebuild it! Like I said, this city will never learn. But, we can all dream, right?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
the tower itself is good minus the brown. it should be a cherry-wood color or something other than that old lady's painted-on fireplace color (i hang around filipinos too much).

the glass placement going to the parking structure is good too. but the parking structure itself needs to be redesigned.

it is a hotel so i can't say that i'm against the parking structure idea. most people who stay at any hotel are likely to use a car.

i don't like the tree choices either. most of those plants will turn into overgrowth on the sidewalk making pedestrians feel inclosed in a bug and leaf tunnel.

·
L O S A N G E L E S
6,590 Posts
Does look "Vegas-nish"​
Then I look down at the photo and I saw the 1960's building on Vermont and mistook it for a rendering :)
IT'S BASICALLY THAT BUILDING!
Is there street level retail? Let's us ban podiums!​
I'm starting to get all Klammy!​

·
L O S A N G E L E S
6,590 Posts
Iceberg Roses? AS IF!
You might as well *** ** your Grandm******* bones and **** them, **** **** out to all your friends as presents, with accompanying Iceberg Roses in neat ***** white cardboard boxes!
.​
... iceberg roses ...... sh**!
.​
Honey Locusts ..... HONEY LOCUSTS MY ***!
Don't get me started on Honey Locustseses....​

1 - 20 of 40 Posts