SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
22,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Midlands seems to be pacing up the development. Hotels, wedding venues and new spaces are popping up, in the pipeline or underway. Realised we weren't capturing them, so a new thread.

·
22,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Barn Owl Coffee

The Barn Owl is a new cafe and roastery in the Midlands. Great purpose built building. On my list of places to get to on next SA trip

·
22,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paton Taylor Architects have been working on the design for a new hotel development for the Midlands. Not clear where abouts. But definitely much larger in scale than any other hotel in the area to date

·
22,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fable

This adaptive reuse project captures the essence of the Midlands agricultural locale in a pair of simple re-purposed dairy sheds to create a brewery, health restaurant and artisanal retail spaces

curry's post, kzn
Architects EPA

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hilton:

The Avenues, a project by JT Ross, is taking shape (the forest has been removed a grass cleared as per other Hilton pictures). This will be opposite Garlington estate. It is Retail, commercial and residential: https://theavenueshilton.co.za/site-plan-register-interest/

We all know Mount Verde on the other side of Garlington right? Search internet for this smallholding farming community and their upmarket properties and scenic of views

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hilton: A University

When you look at the Jacana picture above (https://www.jacanaecoestate.co.za/location/), you can note there's space reserved for a university. I hope with the need to go private universities in SA's current climate, KZN Midlands will finally get a varsity in line with its prestigious schools (Hilton, Michaelhouse, St Anne's Diocesan, Cowan House, Grace Colleg, plus many within Pietermaritzburg, whilst noting the Agricultural college within)

·
Registered
9,344 Posts

When you look at the Jacana picture above (https://www.jacanaecoestate.co.za/location/), you can note there's space reserved for a university. I hope with the need to go private universities in SA's current climate, KZN Midlands will finally get a varsity in line with its prestigious schools (Hilton, Michaelhouse, St Anne's Diocesan, Cowan House, Grace Colleg, plus many within Pietermaritzburg, whilst noting the Agricultural college within)
Considering the generally poor reputation of private tertiary institutions in SA I doubt it would attract students from the elite KZN schools. They will continue going to the actually very good public universities like UCT, Wits, UKZN etc. and of course the wealthier ones to overseas universities.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Considering the generally poor reputation of private tertiary institutions in SA I doubt it would attract students from the elite KZN schools. They will continue going to the actually very good public universities like UCT, Wits, UKZN etc. and of course the wealthier ones to overseas universities.
Interesting. We will see how the two Afrikaans universities being built will fare. I am sure there is a need. And indeed, I hope they build great ones without concerns you raise. Certainly even Zimbabwe and other African countries once had great public universities. No like? Just straight to politics!

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Interesting. We will see how the two Afrikaans universities being built will fare. I am sure there is a need. And indeed, I hope they build great ones without concerns you raise. Certainly even Zimbabwe and other African countries once had great public universities. No like? Just straight to politics!
I think there is a need but the type of students who go there will not be rich elite graduates from schools like Hilton and Michaelhouse.

·
Registered
66 Posts

The kids in Hilton College, Michaelhouse and most of St Anne's, are from out of town and are unlikely to stick around the midlands for University. But for those kids from the midlands and Pietermaritzburg, a private university could find a huge market. The rich kids and the smartest ones will continue to go to UCT et al., but the rest currently only have Ukzn and Varsity College, which are not great options.

Btw, thanks for including my alma mater, Grace College, in the same list as the Ivy Leaguers, never thought that would happen ;)

·
22,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I slightly disagree. A good university in the Midlands could be a boon for Nottingham Road. Globally many small town universities are major destinations in themselves and the primary income generator for the town. This is something mostly missing in SA, bar grahamstown and stellies. Missed opportunity to tackle down the line?

The new private university at Sibaya North Durban I think will be a game changer. Private but on the scale of a public university with over 10000 students

1 - 18 of 18 Posts