Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Related Proposes New Midtown Mixed User

Two mixed-use projects in Midtown were proposed during June's Development Review Committee meeting. The first, 22 Fourteenth Street, will add 6,500 square feet of ground-floor retail and 400 units of residential space to the southwest corner of 14th and West Peachtree. Along with Novare's 1163 Peachtree project, this project from Related Group will anchor the remaining corners facing One Atlanta Center and Regions Plaza and provide a total of 18,000 square feet of retail at the intersection. It's a fairly elegant, interesting proposal, made even more so by its proximity to Novare's blasé design.

-------------------------------------

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
It's not the best design in my opinion. Looks like something that would get proposed for Baltimore. I guess it will be a good infill building. Usually though, Atlanta has better designs going. But 400 ft. ain't too shabby. :D

·
jupiter
344 Posts
thumbs up

I like it. It has a style that existed in midtown from the 1950's and was lost. It proves that a high-rise can have character. The area is not a great residential feel but that could change if the freeway is covered over by green space.

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
I like it too, but there was hardly anything in Midtown Atlanta in the 1950s...though it is reminiscent of 615 Peachtree that was built in the late 50s and demolished a few years ago, and maybe a bit of the 70s Colony Square buildings.

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Midtown Development Boom Continues With New Proposals

Keeping up with all the mixed-use and residential developments proposed for Midtown harder than counting raindrops these days, and September's Midtown Development Review Committee (DRC) meeting added four more to the deluge: two new mixed-use developments, an office-to-lounge conversion and a residential building. The DRC also got an update on Related Group's project at 22 Fourteenth Street. The developments discussed at this month's meeting range from eight to 29 stories and, together, would add more than 28,000 square feet of retail and 1,324 apartments to the thriving neighborhood.

Finally, the committee heard an update from the snazzy tower at 22 Fourteenth Street. The Related Group brought back a plan to hide the parking deck with large vertical columns that are "segmented and slanted at various angles." DRC was pleased but needs to know a little more about the materials that'll be used and how they'll look from street level.

·
jupiter
344 Posts
related tower

That is kind of what I was thinking as well. That hill is a slope of about that degree. For it to be facing north the Hill would be less of a drop. That said if the Novare building is going to be on the southern side of the lot it is to be located on this should give both buildings better views.

I was referring to the Cabana hotel in noting the style period that the tower seems drawn from. some other buildings of that era in midtown have been heavily modified or are gone. For the most part some small office building come to mind ......1776 Peachtree, Piedmont Hospital office tower out front, Insurance building at Pershing Point, SCAD building, and the heavily modified 805 Peachtree.

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whole Foods may be going in:

This one would be the first in Midtown's core and would anchor Related Group's project on 14th street .
BTW, I had never heard of a "flagship" grocery store prior to this article. :hmm:

http://m.bizjournals.com/atlanta/blog/peachtree-plate/2015/03/whole-foods-looks-to-open-flagship-store-in.html?ana=twt&r=full

Atlanta's largest Whole Foods Market could come to the site of a planned residential tower in Midtown Atlanta.

Austin, Texas-based Whole Foods Market Inc. is in talks with Miami's The Related Group for a roughly 60,000-square-foot store.

The store would anchor Related's planned project at 14th and West Peachtree streets. The development could include two towers built in phases. The first phase is set to include about 400 residential units, according to a previous interview.

If the deal comes together, Whole Foods would open the store no later than 2018. Some sources indicate that the new location would be an urban format with multiple levels.

·
Registered
216 Posts
They need to do better than this. The tower is fine, but the base is an eye sore. Surely, they can come up with a cladding that hides the parking deck, as well as improve the view from the street.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
They need to do better than this. The tower is fine, but the base is an eye sore. Surely, they can come up with a cladding that hides the parking deck, as well as improve the view from the street.
I agree. That huge blank wall on 14th is unacceptable, or at least it should be. I read that parts of their permit are being reviewed again so there appears to be somewhat of a redesign.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
It appears that this project is about to break ground. The Midtown Alliance now lists this as under construction and there have recently been permits filed by contractors for the site.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Permits have been filed for Phase II - 74,600 sf organic grocery store with attached parking deck with 270+ parking spaces. Related's website projects delivery of the tower in the 3rd quarter 2017 and the Whole Foods in early 2018.
Eviva and this project, only because of the Whole Foods, are the two that I am most excited to see start construction.

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
I love this tower...I don't think the "blank wall" will be noticeable at all from the street because there appears to be windows/storefronts along the street level. A blank wall along the street is a huge concern, but up in the air is less significant. 400' is huge for Midtown right now...it seems like most everything is <300'.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I love this tower...I don't think the "blank wall" will be noticeable at all from the street because there appears to be windows/storefronts along the street level. A blank wall along the street is a huge concern, but up in the air is less significant. 400' is huge for Midtown right now...it seems like most everything is <300'.
As depicted in the most recent rendering, it has a 9-story wall ( permanent upright constructions having a length much greater than the thickness and presenting a continuous surface except where pierced by doors, windows, etc) that happens to be blank (unrelieved or unbroken by ornament, opening, decoration such as doors, windows, etc).

You're right. No one will ever notice.:uh:

1 - 20 of 99 Posts