Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cousins Properties eyes 30-story office tower

:cheers::cheers:

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta...ns-properties-eyes-30-story-office-tower.html

Cousins Properties Inc. has control of a site on West Peachtree Street a block from Technology Square to develop what could be the tallest Midtown office building in almost a decade.

The 30-story tower would rise on slightly less than an acre between 7th and 8th streets, a two-minute walk from the Midtown MARTA station and block east of Tech Square and the new NCR Corp. headquarters.

Initially named 8th and West Peachtree, it is next to new apartment towers and street-level retail along West Peachtree.

The $150 million to $200 million project would redevelop the block that now contains nightspot and bar The Daiquiri Factory.

Pickard Chilton and HKS Inc. are collaborating on the design of the 450,000- to 500,000-square-foot glass tower.

Cousins identified the site at least six months ago and aims to have it under contract by the end of this summer, said Colin Connolly, the Atlanta real estate company’s president and chief operating officer. It could start construction as soon as January 2019.

At 500 feet, Cousins’ new tower could be the tallest developed since 12th and Midtown (1075 Peachtree) was completed in 2010.

·
12,714 Posts
Cousins Properties eyes 30-story office tower
Color me on board. Where do I buy a ticket?

Barely a year ago I was wondering if the Atlanta cycle was capped at the 400-foot level. With Opus, 1125, now this ... Atlanta going vertical!
Agreed. Nice to see something not only punch above the current "ceiling" but also see this in a location that would fill in the gap between upper and lower midtown.

Geometrically, I like the way it complements NCR.
Good call. Still early and I'm always leery of the simplistic glass box, but this allusion bodes well for the designers thinking of the context of the site. Arguably why we got the angles that we did in those images.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Midtown DRC remarks from yesterday's meeting:

https://www.midtownatl.com/about/news-center/post/june-drc-2018
8th at West

Designed by Pickard Chilton and HKS, the project infills an 0.8 acre site with excellent accessibility to Tech Square to the south and a 3 minute walk to the Midtown MARTA Station on the north. The base of the building integrates seamlessly into the surrounding urban fabric and activates the corners with 6,000 square feet of leasable space. The architecture at the street level combines glass, wood and steel elements to create an inviting human-scale environment that reveals the hive of activity that will animate the lobby lounge. The tower is a series of modulated surfaces, thoughtfully detailed and culminating in a series of rooftop balconies with striking views of the skyline.

Overall, the Midtown Development Review committee voiced enthusiastic support for the project, noting the high level of refinement and detail in the submittal package, including an architectural model used to illustrate the lower floors. There were questions about vehicular egress on 7th Street, the possibility for additional on-street parking, and façade treatment and pedestrian egress from the parking structure. The development team will address these questions and provide additional information about streetscape details in a follow-up submittal.

·
12,714 Posts
A lot of wood elements at the pedestrian level, eh? Can't say I saw that coming. Last image is appealing enough, though I'm not sure how it works as part of the overall design. I want to back up from that vantage point and see how the vertical and horizontal elements come together in better context.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A lot of wood elements at the pedestrian level, eh? Can't say I saw that coming. Last image is appealing enough, though I'm not sure how it works as part of the overall design. I want to back up from that vantage point and see how the vertical and horizontal elements come together in better context.
good points. I think the metal framing and glass used for the windows at the base provide some connection to the tower. I think if it's done well it will look outstanding, and all of Pickard Chilton's buildings I've seen are attractive and functional imo.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Cousins has filed for land development permits for the tower.
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2018/10/12/cousins-files-plans-for-31-story-midtown-office.html?ana=TRUEANTHEMTWT_AT&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5bc255d504d30146d6bb3ab4&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

I'm curious to see which of the "spec" office towers moves forward. Speculative in that is was proposed without a specific tenant on board like NCR and Anthem. All of the proposals will probably have to sign office tenants before breaking ground.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
^^ IS It ME :nuts: or is it Atlanta is moving more North towards Buckhead:banana:,
Nice Photo Ant131,531 and counting :) the Amount of real Ants in my Kitchen :hilarious:
Everyone :grouphug: why is every Photo taken of Atlanta, I 75 is always backup, Yes, because it's TWO Interstates together through Downtown Atlanta, I 75 , and I 85, with I 20 Crossing, :cheers1:

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
No they have not even started the Demo of the buildings on site. I was expecting demo to start at the beginning of the year. I wonder why they are waiting. The businesses have been closed for a while now.

I don't think they are waiting but simply going through the process it takes to build a $200 million building. The Midtown Alliance has this listed as "under construction" which I think means that the project is approved by the city to start construction once they have all of their ducks in a row.

We haven't heard of any signed tenants for this particular project but we know that there are several other entities looking for large blocks of office space in Midtown that could anchor this tower.

Midtown Union is reportedly in talks with Jones Day
1105 has law firm Smith & Gambrell and Google
712 West Peachtree presumably has Starbucks though not official

It looks like every office tower proposal in Midtown is moving forward THIS year.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.