1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Mainland Sea & Sky
6,242 Posts
Nice shots fot this beautiful city !

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
It does look like a part of Houston that isn't shown a lot.

·
Indie Bean
2,649 Posts
Nice snaps.

A couple of questions I'm hoping you can answer for me:

- Where is midtown exactly? I didn't know that the Montrose was considered midtown. I was there recently (after not being there for a few years) and was impressed (and unimpresed - you know, that whole gentrification thing) with the amount of development.

- That big church, is it the one that George Bush Sr. goes to? Odd question, but if it is, I was at a funeral in the older church next door. They were building this huge cathedral, and I'm wondering if that is the end result.

:cheers:

·
Registered
182 Posts
InTheBeach said:
Nice snaps.

- Where is midtown exactly? I didn't know that the Montrose was considered midtown. I was there recently (after not being there for a few years) and was impressed (and unimpresed - you know, that whole gentrification thing) with the amount of development.
What exactly is wrong with gentrification? It always puzzles me when some folks and even tourist guides lament the loss of crime-ridden, drug-infested dilapidated neighborhoods, inhabited by vagrants and prostitutes, as those areas thankfully get gentrified. I am glad Midtown Houston is going through this rebirth as it wasn't the kind of area to be proud of.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
InTheBeach said:
Nice snaps.

- That big church, is it the one that George Bush Sr. goes to? Odd question, but if it is, I was at a funeral in the older church next door. They were building this huge cathedral, and I'm wondering if that is the end result.

Midtown starts to the South and West of Downtown. To the South it runs until you reach The Museum district and to the West, it runs through Montrose.

Like Seattlehawk, I don't have a problem with gentrification in general as long as it's done properly. In Midtown Houston's case it's been a godsend. This area is extremely quirky with alot of wharehouse style architecture (which I love).

The church posted was a mistake on my part as it's actually in Uptown. If GB attends, I don't know about it.

·
Indie Bean
2,649 Posts
seattlehawk said:
What exactly is wrong with gentrification? It always puzzles me when some folks and even tourist guides lament the loss of crime-ridden, drug-infested dilapidated neighborhoods, inhabited by vagrants and prostitutes, as those areas thankfully get gentrified. I am glad Midtown Houston is going through this rebirth as it wasn't the kind of area to be proud of.
Per Gary B's point, it's OK if done right. My beef is that it drives up rental units and prices out the people that made the place interesting in the first place. Just because it more accessible to you, it doesn't mean that is is a better place.

No issue with getting rid of crime (which is not gentrification). But if an area's culture gets replaced, that is not a good thing.

·
Indie Bean
2,649 Posts
Gary B said:
Midtown starts to the South and West of Downtown. To the South it runs until you reach The Museum district and to the West, it runs through Montrose.

Like Seattlehawk, I don't have a problem with gentrification in general as long as it's done properly. In Midtown Houston's case it's been a godsend. This area is extremely quirky with alot of wharehouse style architecture (which I love).

The church posted was a mistake on my part as it's actually in Uptown. If GB attends, I don't know about it.
Godd stuff. Thanks for the info.

I don't think that Montrose needs anymore gentrification (or risks losing its charm), but I see your point for the rest of the area.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I love all of the types of architecture in midtown. It sucks that my job is way out on the west side near the Houston/Katy border making it impossible to live anywhere but suburbia. :( Unfortunately it seems like 90% of my coworkers actually enjoy living out here. I hate it! I want inside the loop, but my career path doesn't have much available in the good areas of Houston. Midtown/Rice/Museum distric is the best! :)

Thanks for the great photos!

And I would actually like to see some more gentrification in the Montrose area. As you can see from the flag I have displayed, I'm frequently in that area and there are still too many trashy looking homes, terribly uneven sidewalks uninviting to pedestrians, and not quite enough little shops/restaurants available. A little more effort on the part of the residents to improve their homes and more effort from the city to improve the sidewalks could make a nice improvement to the area. As it stands now, I would consider the Short North in Columbus, OH a better looking gayborhood than Montrose. That's not to say I dislike Montrose though. It's still a good area. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aaron W said:
I love all of the types of architecture in midtown. It sucks that my job is way out on the west side near the Houston/Katy border making it impossible to live anywhere but suburbia. :( Unfortunately it seems like 90% of my coworkers actually enjoy living out here. I hate it! I want inside the loop, but my career path doesn't have much available in the good areas of Houston. Midtown/Rice/Museum distric is the best! :)

Thanks for the great photos!

And I would actually like to see some more gentrification in the Montrose area. As you can see from the flag I have displayed, I'm frequently in that area and there are still too many trashy looking homes, terribly uneven sidewalks uninviting to pedestrians, and not quite enough little shops/restaurants available. A little more effort on the part of the residents to improve their homes and more effort from the city to improve the sidewalks could make a nice improvement to the area. As it stands now, I would consider the Short North in Columbus, OH a better looking gayborhood than Montrose. That's not to say I dislike Montrose though. It's still a good area. :)

How long has it been since you've visited Montrose?

The neighborhood is starting to clean up from remodeled gas stations, to new midrise complexes, to remodeled bungalos. It deffinately needs new sidewalks etc, but with all of the demand for real estate in this area the city will be on it's toes with improvements.

Here's a couple of the new complexes in the Motrose area.

·
/>>}WweX:AS<
177 Posts
Aaron W said:
A little more effort on the part of the residents to improve their homes and more effort from the city to improve the sidewalks could make a nice improvement to the area.
:bash:

The overwhelming majority of the urban poor do not own the house in which they live in, thus it would be impossible for most of the resisdents to do improvements on the property, it is entirely up to the owners, most of whom live
on a different property and thus as such wont spend a dime.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
titeness said:
:bash:

The overwhelming majority of the urban poor do not own the house in which they live in, thus it would be impossible for most of the resisdents to do improvements on the property, it is entirely up to the owners, most of whom live
on a different property and thus as such wont spend a dime.

Montrose is not exactly filled with the urban poor, it's an arts and Gay district. Also, most of the bungalos and midrise' residents of Montrose are owners of there properties.

I'm not sure where your going with this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts