Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta...-unveils-design-of-its-new-midtown-union.html

MetLife unveils design of its new 'Midtown Union' project

MetLife Inc. received conditional approval Tuesday to move ahead with its 9-acre mixed-use project in Midtown at 17th, Spring and West Peachtree.

The project, which includes a 25-story office tower and 250-key hotel, was presented to the Midtown Development Review Committee. Its suggestions for how the giant project should be scaled into the northern edge of Midtown, one of the city’s most walkable neighborhoods, will be passed on to the city of Atlanta for final approval.

“Midtown Union,” as the project is officially known, will also include up to 350 apartments and 87,000 square feet of retail.

The design will feature a connection between the Woodruff Arts Center and the mixed-use town center Atlantic Station, which stands across the 17th Street Bridge. Including Union in the project's name reflects the idea of connection and pathways — defining features of the development, said Tom Ryan with MetLife Investment Management.

Rendering does not include the apartment or hotel tower.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
A couple of other key facets of the proposal is a new street extension of Arts Center Way and included in the retail is a grocery store. This looks like a fantastic, though short project for Midtown.

·
12,714 Posts
I'm thrilled to see some development but as far as the design goes I'm not moved at all. It essentially plays out to me like a cheap gimmick, and not a very good one. The diagonal columns at the bottom, the open seam that divides the building in half, the non-glass box that I presume is parking... none of these elements come together or tell a story other than the architect tried hard to mask that its just a glass box. NCR at least featured a more organic play on geography and the change in window and mullion pattern emphasized their approach. So, for me the first impression is rather "meh."

Wasn't there a previous conceptual sketch for this project/site?

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
That looks freaking fantastic!
And even though the buildings are not very tall, I like massing of the individual buildings as opposed to those narrow, block-long buildings. This one looks like a winner!

·
12,714 Posts
Still not enthused about the design for the office tower, but that's a great sign for the economy if this is still a go and I think that proposal for the Arts Center Way has some real potential. Still a bit car heavy, enough that it might frighten pedestrians, but the thought engenders hope for more and better public spaces.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Still not enthused about the design for the office tower, but that's a great sign for the economy if this is still a go and I think that proposal for the Arts Center Way has some real potential. Still a bit car heavy, enough that it might frighten pedestrians, but the thought engenders hope for more and better public spaces.
The office portion will look way better when completed.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
It's rumored that one of the big law firms (Jones, Day) will anchor the office tower. Its seems that all of the office development is ramping up at the same time. I expect that we'll see several office towers under construction next year.

·
12,714 Posts
The office portion will look way better when completed.
Fingers crossed. It's not hideous, just trite and unoriginal, IMO. This building looks like a poor man's attempt to glom off the carved jewel notion of London's the Shard or the NCR headquarters, but they only do that, and meekly so, with two sides and the roof line. My professor's first question would be "Why," and if he can't see the reason in the architecture the feature would be roundly chided.

If your design approach is to just take a very basic form and simply slap stuff on or carve out a few random changes in the facade then that's not inspiring, that's lazy. Atlanta has enough lazy architecture. We need something inspiring.

·
12,714 Posts
Nope. Still not helping. I'm sorry but it literally makes me uncomfortable looking at those office buildings. The washed out cityscape image doesn't help matters, to be sure. The massing seems off and the various architectural elements involved seem random and messy. Why the angled crown? Why the diagonal columns? What's the impetus for the colored vertical strips on the (what I assume to be) parking garage? And why aren't any of those elements carried through the whole development?

I'm thrilled that 1280 West is one step closer to being buried behind other structures, however, and I'll take this over 1280.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Invesco Anchoring MetLife's Midtown Tower

Invesco will move its headquarters to Midtown Union, a planned 26-story, 606K SF office tower off Spring and 17th streets, Gov. Brian Kemp announced May 30. Invesco, which is adding 500 jobs at its headquarters, will lease 300K SF, officials confirmed. Developers MetLife Investment Management and Granite Properties expect to deliver the tower in August 2022.
https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/office/invesco-anchoring-metlifes-midtown-union-99194

A new rendering has emerged but its not clear whether or not this is the current design.

·
12,714 Posts
Read that Invesco news and was pleased to see the announcement. Obviously means this one will be underway in short order. Possible we see it get vertical by the end of the year?

Not sure which rendition of the office tower I prefer. Neither is a slam dunk but neither is overly poor so I'll simply be most content with bringing life to that area. Hopefully it will also spur future support for a park across the connector in that area, someday.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts