Skyscraper City Forum banner

Which do you like?

• Tishman Speyer Properties and Morgan Stanley

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 567 Posts

·
In Time
3,070 Posts

=================================================================================

In Railyards, Seeing a Blank Canvas on the Hudson

By CHARLES V. BAGLI
November 19, 2007

Five developers are competing to buy the development rights over the Metropolitan Transportation Authority railyards that straddle 11th Avenue, between 30th and 33rd Streets. They have submitted billion-dollar offers and elaborate development plans for what would be the largest project in Manhattan, on 26 acres stretching across the equivalent of six city blocks overlooking the Hudson River.

For developers, the railyards are a pulse-quickening opportunity. A builder must first erect platforms over the Long Island Rail Road tracks on both sides of 11th Avenue before putting up any buildings, at an estimated cost of up to $1.5 billion. And it has to be done without disrupting the operation of the trains below.

After Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg’s plan for the western part of the railyards, which was centered on a $2.2 billion football stadium and convention hall, failed in 2005, the transportation authority and the Bloomberg administration devised a new plan for the entire railyards site. They outlined what developers can build there: about 12 million square feet of residential and commercial space, a cultural building, shops and parklike spaces. It makes for a very dense development, and must still go through the city’s land use review process.

All five developers have incorporated all or part of the High Line, the defunct elevated railway that rings the site on 30th Street and 12th Avenue, in their proposals as a park and pedestrian walkway. Each of their renderings for the project depicts more than a dozen buildings, although the exact look of the structures would almost certainly change.

The authority hopes to select a winner by February or March. In the meantime, images and models of the different proposals go on public display for two weeks beginning today, in a storefront at the northwest corner of 43rd Street and Vanderbilt Avenue, across from Grand Central Terminal.

Copyright 2007 The New York Times Company

I think New York's Hudson Yards are going to be gorgeous. [1400 × 617] by redditpictures, on Flickr

·
In Time
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Brookfield Properties
Architects Skidmore Owings & Merrill; Thomas Phifer & Partners; SHoP Architects and Diller Scofidio + Renfro; Kazuyo Sejima + Ryue Nishizawa; Handel Architects

Extell Development Company
Architect Steven Holl Architects

Tishman Speyer Properties and Morgan Stanley
Architects Helmut Jahn and Peter Walker

Related Companies
Architects Kohn Pedersen Fox, Robert A.M. Stern, Arquitectonica
Financial Partner Goldman Sachs

Durst Organization and Vornado Realty Trust
Architects FXFowle and Pelli Clarke Pelli

·
In Time
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't tell so much from the Related Companies or Durst Organization and Vornado Realty Trust renderings so far but I love the Brookfield and I am ok with Extell, but I hate The Tishman Speyer Properties Bid so far.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
the only proposal that looks good "as now" is from brookfield properties, everything else sucks. :goodbye:

but where is rail yard will get moved to, or it stays on same spot?

·
Banned
3,269 Posts
new york is absolutely crushing everyone else for architectural merit of it's latest projects, why getting rid of soo many rail yards though?

·
In Time
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh no, they are not getting rid of the rail yards, they will built on top of them. ;) The rail yards will still be working.

·
Banned
1,658 Posts
Looks like there are 2-plus supertalls for each plan. I'd go with Brookfield. Any more?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Wow....New York is just blowing up!!!!!....yahoo!! Those renderings above look great. If all this gets built, Manhattan is going to look so incredible. Just think of all the things in the pipeline right now.....this project, the Moma tower, the Girasole, the Freedom Tower complex!! In 10 years NYC is going to be unbelievable!!....I personally think that the city will re-claim its pre-911 distinction of the world's greatest skyscraper city.

·
In Time
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:) Ok I went to that place, and took some photos...

Developer: Related Companies
Architect: Kohn Pederson Fox

1 - 20 of 567 Posts