SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking ahead 30-40 years from now, how will the Midwest cities stack up against each other? For instance, 30-40 years ago I would not have considered Indy as one of the major Midwest cities, and I believe in that time it has overtaken Kansas City. Other cities, like Columbus and Minneapolis have seen enormous growth as of late, while cities like Detroit and St Louis have not grown at the same rate. I mean, I still consider Detroit to be the #2 city in the Midwest, but the gap between it and #3 is nowhere near as large as it was 30 years ago.

So, my question is, 30-40 years down the road from now, how do you think the Midwest cities will stack up against each other?

·
Live from red brick mama
368 Posts
I think Detroit is nowhere close to losing its 2nd-place status in regards to size.

And don't count St. Louis out-- we're in the midst of a citywide boom! I don't even recognize this old bitch anymore...

·
Registered
9 Posts
1 Chicago
2 Detroit
3 St Louis
4 Cleveland
5 KC
6 Twin Cities
7 Cincy
8 Indy

1 Chicago
2 Detroit
3 Twin Cities
4 St Louis
5 Cleveland
6 Indy
7 KC
8 Cincy

1 Chicago
2 Detroit
3 Twin Cities
4 Indy
5 St Louis
6 Cleveland
7 Cincy
8 KC

·
Registered
36 Posts
STLgasm said:
I think Detroit is nowhere close to losing its 2nd-place status in regards to size.

And don't count St. Louis out-- we're in the midst of a citywide boom! I don't even recognize this old bitch anymore...
I agree, and if they get their act together, no two Midwestern cities have more potential then St Louis and Detroit. I am starting to see the pieces fall into place in both towns, and while the boom didnt hit them in the 90s necessarily, I see these two as the next big magnet for young professionals looking for urban living (besides Chicago of course).

·
Banned
22 Posts
1. Chicago
2. KC
3- 8. who cares?

The sunny, diverse KC metro is growing faster than any other region in the midwest. Mexican's are moving to KC more than any other city outside of Texas.

The Twin Cities will slow and completely halt (other than people moving from North Dakota).

Every place else is pretty much a wash.... detroit, Cleveland, Stl, Cinci - why would anyone want to move to these places? These are old, has-been cities.

As for Indy... It's not even in the major city tier. Maybe in 40 years it will be bigger but other than people from rural Indiana why would anyone move there?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Raytownthug said:
Well said my friend don't listen to these haters they can't take the truth that the rust belt will never come back. We have soo much undeveloped land within our city limits I think we could easly hit 900,000 within the city once all the land is developed. Keep posting here we need more people like you.
its funny to see people respond to themselves!
its called sock puppeteering,
wikipedia has a great article on it,
perhaps he will dank soon.

·
The Jive is Alive.
1,537 Posts
Raytownthug-- all that underdeveloped land will be developed with pre-fab craphouses with siding, so that you will have created one big, ugly suburb full of conservative white pricks who think they're hot shit. Give me an old dense "has-been" city over some contrived wannabe suburban Disneyland.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Raytownthug said:
Well said my friend don't listen to these haters they can't take the truth that the rust belt will never come back. We have soo much undeveloped land within our city limits I think we could easly hit 900,000 within the city once all the land is developed. Keep posting here we need more people like you.
900,000 in 313 sq. miles when all is said and done, and you're proud of that? St. Louis hit that many people in only 62 sq. miles, so it looks like your beloved KC has been outdone by STL once again. :lol:

How does it feel? Does it burn?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
RP1 said:
900,000 in 313 sq. miles when all is said and done, and you're proud of that?
The funny thing is, CURRENTLY it's nowhere near 900,000 in 313 sq. miles, and some of the cities that he mentions are already there.

Check this out Raytownthug:

Minneapolis and St. Paul: pop. 669,769 in 108 sq. miles

·
Banned
22 Posts
The anti-cheesehead said:
Ditto. Is that KCDevin or Raytownthug? What is it with KC's forumers? Is it one forumer with numereous aliases, or does KC just have a lot of a-holes?
POT KETTLE BLACK

I'm neither idiot, I'm LJK. Why is it all you can do is lie and smear?

Reading these forums it appears you all consider each other A-Holes.
You have all cussed each other out, made fun of and attacked each.

·
Banned
22 Posts
Raytownthug said:
I'm NOT your friend. I speak for myself.

You are KCDevin or kcdcchef - these people are forumers from KC.
I have no association with either of you.

·
Banned
22 Posts
mohammed wong said:
its funny to see people respond to themselves!
its called sock puppeteering,
wikipedia has a great article on it,
perhaps he will dank soon.
Making a claim like that with NO PROOF?
Ever been accused of something wrongfully? How did it make you feel?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
KCskylinelover said:
POT KETTLE BLACK
I'm neither idiot, I'm LJK. Why is it all you can do is lie and smear?
I didn't lie about anything and I think people would've been able to figure you out without me calling you an a-hole. I don't need to do anything to make you look like an ass. Can't you see that you smeared yourself with this post:

KCskylinelover said:
1. Chicago
2. KC
3- 8. who cares?

The sunny, diverse KC metro is growing faster than any other region in the midwest. Mexican's are moving to KC more than any other city outside of Texas.

The Twin Cities will slow and completely halt (other than people moving from North Dakota).

Every place else is pretty much a wash.... detroit, Cleveland, Stl, Cinci - why would anyone want to move to these places? These are old, has-been cities.

As for Indy... It's not even in the major city tier. Maybe in 40 years it will be bigger but other than people from rural Indiana why would anyone move there?
Come on. How do you expect people to react to a post like that? That post says "I'm just another ass from KC and I don't know what I'm talking about" all over it. :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
I don't like the idea of the "greater midwest." To me The Plains and the Great Lakes states are just too different: economically, socially and culturally.

So, that being said, if the economic and population growth trends of the last thirty years stay the same for the next thirty years, here's my rankings of Great Lakes cities:

1) Chicago
2) Minneapolis
3) Indy & Columbus
5) Chuck Norris

·
Banned
22 Posts
You choke on anyone else's opinion and when you have no argument you discredit them by calling them "raytownthug". It's your way of dealing I guess.

You all have a reputation for being insecure Internet nerds with no life.
The KC hate is pathetic, why all the jealousy? Is it because the KC skyscraper and urban forum members and posts outnumber the entire midwest forum on this site COMBINED?

If KC had a development thread here you would all be dissing it. That's why they created their own. It's a city with pride and the single-best skyscraper forum for any single city and/or state IMO.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts