Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
6,504 Posts
from the bunch Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago look pleasantly dense, the rest: surface parking galore!
It really makes me wonder given Milwaukee's core density why they haven't been able to muster anything besides a bus system as far as mass transit is concerned.

I was also kind of surprised at Minneapolis. Really tight core, but a lot of empty space to the east.

St. Louis's core looks a little small, but seems to have been pretty well kept intact, and with a nice near-downtown support neighborhood to the immediate west.

The north, northwest, and west sectors of downtown Detroit aren't going to get any better until the guy who owns most of the land (in the north sector) in the area decides to do something with it. In my dreams, they'd also bury the Lodge and Fisher freeways to tie the area back into the neighborhoods.

Here's the area prior to the destructive freeways:

WSU Virtual Motor City Collection

WSU Virtual Motor City Collection

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
I was also kind of surprised at Minneapolis. Really tight core, but a lot of empty space to the east.
To be fair, that is an outdated aerial of Minni. Between 2002-2010, and particularly between 2002-2006, there has been a spur in construction activity, which saw many of the surface lots in Elliot Park, Downtown East and the old milling district replaced with a 38-story residential tower, history museum, luxury hotel, theater, performing arts center, major league ballpark and numerous smaller residential infills.

·
6,504 Posts
To be fair, I'd be most all of those aerials are years old. In fact, I know the ones I've checked before are.

Here is Lansing. I went to Google Maps. For whatever reason, Bings aerials have absolutely horrible contrast that washes out the details.

Lansing

I've always been interested in seeing these aerials all at the same scale.

·
Fresh Coast
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It really makes me wonder given Milwaukee's core density why they haven't been able to muster anything besides a bus system as far as mass transit is concerned.
It's true, the only thing in the works is the Streetcar system, (similar to Portland's) which is in it's final steps. I guess the Intermodal station that connects downtown to the airport and Chicago, could be considered mass transit as well. Here's the Streetcar map:

·
Arch(Struct) Engineer
Toasted Ravioli
1,854 Posts
Springfield, MO

lots of surface lots around the tallest buildings on the east side of downtown almost make that side of downtown look like a suburban office park. At least there are no freeways running through the downtown area.
The construction just west of the orange pin is two new parking garages and a new movie theater which replaced surface lots. There is also a 5 story office building under construction not in this picture filling in a eastside of downtown surface lot making that area somewhat denser. The new arena being built in this picture was also on the site of a former surface parking lot. There are 4 new parking garages in this area and only 1 new surface lot(accross the street from the baseball stadium)

·
6,504 Posts
Good Lord, the skyline was massive!

That is by far the most complete decay of a downtown that I've ever seen.
Detroit's skyline is bigger than it's ever been. I would think folks seeing the historic aerials would notice how much smaller the skyline was. What's missing is that most of the periphary low-rises are almost completely gone, physically shrinking the size of downtown (but definitely not the skyline). That said, there is much beyond downtown even with every other low-rise seemingly taken out:

kbreenbo

gab482

Also, for good measure, a historic shot of Grand Circus Park north of Detroit's financial district.

Photoscream

This area is actually still pretty relatively intact.

BTW, an another aerial of the core of the downtown of Lansing as seen from the "back":

Applejack 25

Entirely too much parking, but it's filling in just like every other city, and there is something to work with.

Ann Arbor: shows both the downtown (to the west/upper part of photo) and the university.

Airplane Lane

Grand Rapids

dsearl

dsearl

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
nice shot of Fort Wayne! I've been wantin to see one with the new baseball field in it! Cant wait to follow the maumee down there and check it out!

Grand Rapids has a sh!t load of bridges... are all those really necessary?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Detroit's skyline is bigger than it's ever been. I would think folks seeing the historic aerials would notice how much smaller the skyline was. What's missing is that most of the periphary low-rises are almost completely gone, physically shrinking the size of downtown (but definitely not the skyline). That said, there is much beyond downtown even with every other low-rise seemingly taken out:

Yeah, I know its taller and that downtown Detroit is awesome and whatnot. I'm just lamenting the destruction of the periphery with the construction of the superhighways. My use of the word massive was more talking about the size, length wise not height wise.

Just imagine how awesome Detroit would be if they could connect the cool skyscrapers of Downtown to the ones of Midtown. Now if only we can destroy those townhomes along woodward...

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
If I could go back in time to anywhere and anytime, I would pick Detroit in the 1940's, and I'd be sure to bring a Google Streetview truck.;)

While it's one thing to know that the city was once easily in the Top 5, people often forget that it was up there with the likes of Philadelphia, Chicago, etc. in urbanity.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
While it's one thing to know that the city was once easily in the Top 5, people often forget that it was up there with the likes of Philadelphia, Chicago, etc. in urbanity.
the savage destruction of detroit over the past several decades is nothing short of a crime. i know there is still a lot of good left, and a core that has even turned the corner, but to think about all of the awesomeness that was once in detroit, represented in those old-time aerials, that was then so senselessly tossed in the trash can, it's all just so damn disheartening. to better days ahead detroit, better days ahead.

staying on the historical tip, here's my favorite old-time aerial of chicago from 1936.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.