Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Huge portion of medieval Krakow was destroyed by Austrians during the occupation of Little Poland. Most city gates were torn down (over 20 were destroyed), beautiful moat surrounding city walls was also filled with stones and sand and paved over. Several large bridges were blown up, statues were pulled down, Wawel towers were destroyed.

After this horrible destruction Krakow never looked the same, it managed to survive Mongols, Swedes, Turks but finally was destroyed in 19th century by Austrians.

Krakow as once was...

·
Registered
38 Posts
i have a book with some old hand-drawn pictures of Kelemegdan durring medevil times, ill see if i can scan tem and get them up :)

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is more:

·
Registered
630 Posts

Fire of 1850

One others

I think that overall Krakow has been treadened by history pretty nicely. Sure the Austrains tore down the city walls and turned Wawel into a barac but thats nothing when you compare what happened to other Polish cities later on. Krakow did not suffer destruction in WWI and WWII and it is definitelly the most beautiful Polish city today. Most buildings presented by Jacek and Me are still around and they really did not change all that much.

·
Registered
572 Posts
whoops, wrong forum

·
Banned
281 Posts
cracow had same destiny as Vilnius, after ocupation (1795) and after revolution (1860 - 1863) russians destroyed a lot, whole defence wall (only ~1km left) all except one gates (including oncreadibly beatifull and huge boroque Subacius gates), all defence towers, closed university, banned lithuanian language, destroyed few beutifull churches and monastery's, also rebuilded few into orthodox church, destroyed Grand Dukes palace and i can say many more things, but nvm, here some of old Vilnius:

this picture is from times, when defence wall was u/c

and other pictures from 1800:
http://www.vilnius.lt/new/gidas.php?open=30&root=1&sub_cat=71

first lithuanian capital Kernave, nothing left of previously big town, now it has only 200 inhabitants

srry for posting those^ pics in cracow thread ;)

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Po co AdamT niszczysz moj thread, ktory zajal mi godzine do zrobienia ? Co ma nowoczesna Warszawa wspolnego ze starym Krakowem ?

Albo piszcie na temat albo wcale. Wogole proponuje zeby niektorzy unikali moich threadow, tak bedzie najlepiej.

·
Registered
35 Posts
yes,our king chose to free austrians from turks so he sent his whole army to Vienna. If that help didn't come, there would be Turkey in place of Austria.

·
Registered
38 Posts
jes i know this but why they attack you ? I know there was prussia, russia and the austrians but i always mean the austrians was more sympaticly to you... I dont know that they destroy krakau.

·
Banned
281 Posts
^ just like russians, Commonwealth army helped Peter 1st in war against sweden when he was loosing and beated sweden, sweden gave up some lands to russia, in those lands sankt-peterburg was built, and after some years austria with russia ocupied commonwealth :) what a great neighbours we had :D

·
Banned
281 Posts
Thomas.P - at that time commonwealth king was weak, he couldnt handle Seimas (parliament) dominated by polish nobleman's, russians austrians and prussians took advantage of those times and split polish-lithuanian lands, they didnt wanted to have strong commonwealth, because it would'v been much stronger and bigger than them

·
Registered
35 Posts
Actually only the defence walls and the moat were destroyed because they weren't found useful anymore. The city itself remained untouched.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts