SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
The MCG is just one hell of a mighty mecca of sporting stadia. Words can not really describe it.

I still have yet to see anything there but will plan to once I am back in OZ.

Now if theres only one reason to like Melbourne, that is it, and a big reason it is too. I am just in awe of this place.

·
Registered
953 Posts
awesome pics.. looks really nice there. Real problem with the MCG and football is that the spectators are so damn far away from the action. Great game, go the Aussies!

·
A 'Refined Bogan'
8,194 Posts
its a little disapointing the capacity won't ever go above 100,000 again. maybe with a development in 2025 or so the great southern stand can be replaced and have the capacity go above the magic number

·
Premium Member
9,521 Posts
Very cool, MCG looks so good. They should push it above the magical 100,000 figure.

It's not an ideal football stadium though, especially behind the goals, they are a long way away.

Celtic Park in Glasgow (60,000, will eventually get built to 70K+) is my idea of the best way a ground needs to be for soccer.

And of course we have the best fans, Celtic fans, UEFA Cup final in Seville 2003 (we lost to Porto 3-2 in extra time, damn)

·
Here Since 2002
7,261 Posts
Well the pitch aside with the bare marks and the 50m AFL line:D it looked great.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I agree, it is basically a football field poorly suited to Soccer. But that aside, it really looked spectacular in those pics. Nice photography! :)

Here's a recent view from Princes Bridge at night:

·
Registered
633 Posts
The MCG is a multi-purpose venue. For what it's worth, Telstra Stadium isn't any better. Just because they play rugby there does not mean it's a good rectangular ground. Sure, it is rectangular, but didn't the have an Athletics track there too? The difference between the MCG and Telstra Stadium is minimal. If anything. Suncorp would be the best soccer ground in Australia.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I agree best Soccer/football stadium in the country at full capacity would have to go to Suncorp Stadium up in Brisbane.

Having said that, you cannot deny a packed MCG!

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
What is the point of that arguement? Of course the MCG is not exactly suited for soccer, of course it isnt the best soccer stadium in australia.

You might as well say the MCG isnt the best baseball stadium in Australia or the best rugby stadium or the best ice hockey stadium in this country. When the MCG was first built on that site im sure that the last thing on anyones mind was the prospect of hosting the Olympic Games, Commonwealth Games, AFL grand finals and international soccer amongst other things. I'm sure those blokes just wanted somewhere to play a few overs of cricket.

I would not be surprised in the not too distant future to see Australia put in a bid to host the World Cup. Where we going to play all those games then?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
with due respect to the people who dont know what the hell they are talking about...

i was half way up the top tier in the new Olympic Stand.. the photos i took dont really do the view i had justice...ie) i had a great view. all this talk about the MCG being crap for soccer is just rubbish. The seats are large and comfy and there is plenty of leg room. not only is it a massive stadium it's easy to get in and out of, plus it's close to so much PT it's heaven. it's how an urban stadium should be.

Anyway, outsiders' opinions are irrelevant because the 'G' is simply revered by locals and that's all that matters really.

btw hope you guys liked the pics

·
Premium Member
9,521 Posts
Sorry, but yes the G is great, and Melbourne people have a great reverence for it. But look at the damn pictures, people on the sidelines are the width of the pitch away from the game. That does not equal a great "football" stadium. Only Melbourne people used to be miles from the play (in Aussie Rules) could think so.

·
7,972 Posts
Aussie Bhoy said:
Sorry, but yes the G is great, and Melbourne people have a great reverence for it. But look at the damn pictures, people on the sidelines are the width of the pitch away from the game. That does not equal a great "football" stadium. Only Melbourne people used to be miles from the play (in Aussie Rules) could think so.
Fully agree.

But awesome pics though Dean. It is a very impressive stadium.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts