Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
'taliam ciapà col sciòp
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were discussing various times this thing on the italian weatherboards.

Metropolitan Milan ( 5.200.000 people in 2006) is probably the snowiest metro over a certain amount of inhabitants (4.000.000-5.000.000) of the entire Europe.
Only if we include Russia and Moscow you can find a bigger metro with more snow in a average year.

Milan's average is between 35 cm and 45 cm per year (with usually the higher averages in the W-NW part of the city) and with an highest snowcover record of 90-100 cm on january 16th, 1985.

Then, in the past, Milan has had winters with more than 160-180 cm of fresh snow.

I'm quite sure that you can't find a metro over 4-5.000.000 people with bigger "snow numbers" than these.

Paris for sure not, London ... lol ... maybe Berlin, but I'm not sure that it has got more than 5.000.000 people as metro area, and then its average is very similar and the records are lower than Milan.
How big is Warsaw Metro ?

Thoughts ?

-------------

·
'taliam ciapà col sciòp
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You forget about Moscow?
Metropolitan Milan ( 5.200.000 people in 2006) is probably the snowiest metro over a certain amount of inhabitants (4.000.000-5.000.000) of the entire Europe.
Only if we include Russia and Moscow you can find a bigger metro with more snow in a average year.

BTW Moscow averages more fresh snow per year, but I'm not sure if it has ever had a snowcover above 80-90 cm.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well, if it's only about Metros with more than 5.000.000 inhabitants we've got the Rhein-Main area (~ 6 mio. inh.) and the Rhein-Ruhr area (~ 10 mio.) in Germany, which certainly have a higher amount of snow, at least the Rhein-Main area, not so sure about the Rhein-Ruhr, but can't imagine that the snowiest metro in Europe is located in Italy, lol.

·
'taliam ciapà col sciòp
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well, if it's only about Metros with more than 5.000.000 inhabitants we've got the Rhein-Main area (~ 6 mio. inh.) and the Rhein-Ruhr area (~ 10 mio.) in Germany, which certainly have a higher amount of snow, at least the Rhein-Main area, not so sure about the Rhein-Ruhr
The Ruhr area (Dortmund, Bonn, Dusseldorf etc) averages around 20 cm per year. (Frankfurt 25 cm)

And, at least in the last 50 years, the highest snowcover recorded on the ground should be something like 30-32 cm, if I remember well.

but can't imagine that the snowiest metro in Europe is located in Italy, lol.
Italy is big ;)
Northern Italy/Po-valley has got quite a special climate.

·
'taliam ciapà col sciòp
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about Budapest or Kiev? or further east cities like Nizhny Novgorod, Kazan and Ufa and stuff.
I don't think that these metro go over 4-5.000.000 inhabitants.

Then I think that Budapest should have more or less the same snow averages of Milan (or little more).

·
Registered
365 Posts
Well, if it's only about Metros with more than 5.000.000 inhabitants we've got the Rhein-Main area (~ 6 mio. inh.) and the Rhein-Ruhr area (~ 10 mio.) in Germany, which certainly have a higher amount of snow, at least the Rhein-Main area, not so sure about the Rhein-Ruhr, but can't imagine that the snowiest metro in Europe is located in Italy, lol.
Huh? It rarely snows in the Rhine Main area. It hasn't really snowed in the Main Valley for years. Milan certainly gets a lot more snow.

·
Registered
68 Posts
@tk780: Where are you from? Last winter was an exception to the rule. The winters before there was decent snow in botht the Rhine-Main and the RHine-Ruhr area. Btw, there are climatic differences in these regions as well. For example, I guess that winters are cooler and wetter in Wuppertal and Bonn than in Essen or Cologne.
Nevertheless, you almost convinced me, northern italian ;) But where do you have these data from? Can you post a link please?

·
Registered
365 Posts
@tk780: Where are you from? Last winter was an exception to the rule. The winters before there was decent snow in botht the Rhine-Main and the RHine-Ruhr area.
No, there was not.This past winter, albeit milder than usual, wasn't really an exception in terms of snowfall compared to the past 5 years. As I said, it hasn't really snowed in years, at least not in Frankfurt. The Rhine Main region has some of the mildest weather in Germany and is known not to get much snow.

·
Resurrected
26,659 Posts
I wouldn't call Murmansk a metro. It's an isolated industrial and port city. Helsinki and St.Petersburg are in favour of the sea and not that snowy anymore because of global warming, but what about Moscow, Buccarest or Minsk?

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
Beautiful in the snow!!!

Yeah, Moscow beats Milan on this one though sorry...

And London doesn't get much snow at all. Southern England is very mild and isn't too cold in the winter often. I believe it hovers around 40 degrees F in winter in London or 5 degrees C.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts