Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
18,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Milford is a town that is located in both Kent County and Sussex County. The portion of the town that is in Kent County is referred to as "North Milford", and the portion of the town that is in Sussex County is referred to as "South Milford", but the two sections are one municipality. The town has a population of around 7,000.

Milford was laid out after the Rev. Sydenham Thorne built a dam across the Mispillion River to supply power to his sawmill and gristmill in the late 1700s. Beginning in the 1770s, Milford became a wooden shipbuilding center. Milford's shipyards flourished in the 1800s, and the industry declined at around World War I, when wooden ships were replaced by more modern ships.

A house on Lovers Lane in South Milford.

Houses on SE 3rd Street.

Houses on Marshall Street.

Houses on SE 2nd Street.

Houses on Charles Street in South Milford.

Houses on SE Front Street.

Houses on SE Front Street. The Pilgrim Wesleyan Church is on the left.

A house on SE 2nd Street.

A house on Montgomery Street.

A house on SE Front Street.

A house on Columbia Street in South Milford.

Houses on Carlisle Lane at McColley Street.

A house on SE Front Street at McColley Street.

Houses on SE Front Street.

Buildings on S Walnut Street in South Milford. The old Milford Theatre was built in 1948 and closed in 1972. It is now the Jesus Love Temple.

Businesses on S Walnut Street.

Business on S Walnut Street in South Milford.

Looking down the Mispillion River, which separates Kent County and Sussex County in the Milford area, from Walnut Street.

A business on the Mispillion Riverwalk.

A bar on N Washington Street, from the Mispillion Riverwalk.

Business on N Walnut Street in North Milford.

The Thomas Hanley Block, on NE Front Street in North Milford. The structure was built in 1946.

An old house on West Street.

The Hotel Windsor, on NW Front Street. The hotel was opened in 1912 in the old Central Hotel structure, which was built in 1892.

Houses on NW Front Street.

The Victorian Lady, a tea bar located in the Marshall House on NW Front Street. The Marshall House was originally two separate houses that were combined in 1879. The east side of the house was built in 1787, and the west side of the house was built in 1811.

A house on NW Front Street.

Houses on NW Front Street.

The Towers, a bed & breakfast on NW Front Street. The house was built in 1783 and was remodeled in 1891 in the Steamboat Gothic style. The house was once the home of poet John Lofland, and was also once owned by William Burton, who served as governor of the state during the Civil War.

Duplexes and rowhouses on Walnut Street.

Houses on Walnut Street. The houses were built in 1840.

The Bank House, on Walnut Street in North Milford. The house was built in 1855 and was originally a bank.

A house on NE 4th Street.

A house on NE 4th Street at Washington Street in North Milford.

Houses on Washington Street.

·
Proud Wilmingtonian
274 Posts
Milford is a great example of what a more sizeable Delaware town looks and feels like. I hear that Milford is up there with Middletown and Smyrna in terms of recent growth, though in each case it's by way of that oh'so dreadful suburban sprawl.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm familiar with many of the older homes pictured, and also Park Place, the tavern on Washington Street. I've been in the Victorian Tea House, and also in the bed/breakfast (Towers) across the street.......both painted pink/lavender, and both are lovely properties. We surely miss the old Banking House Inn, an upscale beautiful restored home/restaurant backing to the riverfront. It's been closed 5 years or more. Too bad. Maybe it was TOO upscale, but we loved it! I'm wondering if that photo of a brick front home on NW Front St. is the old Banking House Inn.

·
DJ Michael
465 Posts
Milford is a great example of what a more sizeable Delaware town looks and feels like. I hear that Milford is up there with Middletown and Smyrna in terms of recent growth, though in each case it's by way of that oh'so dreadful suburban sprawl.
Thats true but the population isn't on point with Middletown, its only about 7,800 where as Middletown is close to 11,000 I believe.

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Wow, a jewel of Victorian architecture

·
Proud Wilmingtonian
274 Posts
Thats true but the population isn't on point with Middletown, its only about 7,800 where as Middletown is close to 11,000 I believe.
The most recent population estimates put Milford, Smyrna, and Middletown all over the 10,000 mark, the latter being the largest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts