Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
67881 - 67900 of 67923 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looks like the cat's out of the bag officially. G2G to HHI.

The last part of the article suggests the Navy could get additional Pohangs aside from the 2 that was already committed by the ROKN.

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana made the announcement during the welcome ceremony for the Navy’s newly-acquired ship, BRP Conrado Yap (PS-39), a former Pohang-class vessel that served the Republic of Korea Navy for 30 years.

We are again ordering two corvettes, also to be made by Hyundai,” he said in his speech at the event held at Manila South Harbor early this week.

https://globalnation.inquirer.net/179257/philippines-to-buy-two-new-corvettes-from-south-korea

·
Chasing the skies
2,365 Posts
Looks like the cat's out of the bag officially. G2G to HHI.
Glad that they went G2G this time around. Fingers crossed that the "positive response" towards additional Pohangs beyond the initial two will turn up as actual hulls as the PN could have a source for replacements that would allow the retirement of the remaining WWII-era Malvar and Rizal-class ships.

·
Welcome to the Planet
2,225 Posts
Are foreign vessels who were supposed to ask permission when passing by near the country more prevalent now OR it's just today where we can actually monitor most if not all of them unlike before? Me thinks it's both, plus it's the same case with aviation.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
From what I understand, if it's in our EEZ they should at least inform us.

If it's on international waters, I think they have no obligation to inform or announce.

If it's territorial waters, I'm sure they need permission.

The shooting of an American Global Hawk by Iran, I think, was over Iran's EEZ.

·
Registered
748 Posts
These pohang-class corvettes will NOT be more powerful than the frigates once they get their full compliment of weapons
I don't think he was pertaining to the Pohang Class - but the 2 new Corvettes for G2G with HHI.

Corverttes more powerful than two future missile-armed Frigates sounds interesting.
Ideally, it should pack more punch. The Jose Rizal Class was procured with an Php18B budget, while the two new Corvettes will have a budget of Php28B. Considering that HHI would most likely use a very similar platform to the HDF-2600 design, the additional budget would most probably be allocated to more weapons and sensors. It looks like it will have more SSM, a huge possibility of an installed 8/16 cell VLS for SAM and an installed sub surface sonar.

·
Registered
52 Posts
With the Navy getting additional Pohangs anyways, they should just do a follow up order on the frigates instead of going through the whole CAP process. Why have 2 classes of corvettes when the Conrado Yap is already perfect for that role.

·
Registered
748 Posts
^^Conrado Yap is still, like the GdP, a gap filler. The new Corvettes would be somewhat like an upgraded Jose Rizal Class. It's just the name that gives the connotation that it's mainly for sub-surface combat - but actually, it should ideally have better and/or more SSM, SAM, and sonar.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Why call the new ship corvette if it will be using the HDF2600 platform or a modified version of it which is a frigate on the PN classification? But this is a very welcome development nonetheless.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Yes. That doesn't make sense at all.

Once the Rizal-class frigates get their full complement of weapons, they should be more powerful than any Corvette in the PN brand new or otherwise.

·
Chasing the skies
2,365 Posts
Why call the new ship corvette if it will be using the HDF2600 platform or a modified version of it which is a frigate on the PN classification? But this is a very welcome development nonetheless.
Kicker is how, for an additional 30 million USD above the CAP budget, you can get two full-blown HDF-3000 frigates. With that sort of budget, at least it can be expected that all weapons and systems will be installed upon delivery and not FFBNW.

Speaking of budgeting, apparently the Koreans are further sweetening the deal by financing the acquisition:

South Korea offering to finance PHL’s P30-B corvette purchase from Hyundai - GMA

August 23, 2019
"Its government to government because we're having difficulty producing the amount. The two corvettes cost P30 billion," Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said.

"And the Korean government is willing to finance it and we'll pay it through the years, maybe five to 10 years. So its a very enticing proposal because we don't have outright money," said Lorenzana.

The purchase of the two warships is among the big ticket items in the ongoing modernization program of the Armed Forces.

Read more...

·
6,136 Posts
I wonder how MaxDefense and other dilawan Defense arm chair analyst think of the recent news. During PNoy's time, we get three coast guard cutters while during Digong's time, we are actually getting *new* warships (including the Jose Rizal Frigates that the dilawans disowned and call the "Bong Go" frigates). Even the old warships that we get are far better than the Hamiltons.

Its funny that Chismax would rather we get those antiquated Portugese corvettes and continue on procuring old ships for our Navy. While the current AFP are not only procuring as many new warships as they can, as well as old but very powerful ones, but are actually finding ways to get around that tedious procurement law. Even the new ships that PNoy got took half a decade, but how long will we get the new Corvettes from SoKor, probably a lot sooner.

Sorry, I just had to get that one out of my system. Carry on with the informative, non-partisan discussions everyone... :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
I wonder how MaxDefense and other dilawan Defense arm chair analyst think of the recent news. During PNoy's time, we get three coast guard cutters while during Digong's time, we are actually getting *new* warships (including the Jose Rizal Frigates that the dilawans disowned and call the "Bong Go" frigates). Even the old warships that we get are far better than the Hamiltons.

Its funny that Chismax would rather we get those antiquated Portugese corvettes and continue on procuring old ships for our Navy. While the current AFP are not only procuring as many new warships as they can, as well as old but very powerful ones, but are actually finding ways to get around that tedious procurement law. Even the new ships that PNoy got took half a decade, but how long will we get the new Corvettes from SoKor, probably a lot sooner.

A helluva lot of misinformation here.

It took forever because the Navy wasn't initially meant to get brand new ships. It was the gov't who opted out of the Italian offer and decided on buying new ones. The Navy was literally starting from scratch during Pnoy's term and if anything I'm surprised it didn't take longer. The corvettes will come sooner thanks to all the lessons learned during the FAP. If anything its the current admin thats reaping the benefits of the AFP modernization Pnoy started.

·
6,136 Posts
^^ And why did the navy not get brand new ships in the first place? And yes, anything that PNoy did took forever, if at all. The SSVs also took forever and there is nothing complex about those unlike warships. Plus 5 years just to get the new Frigates off the ground is pathetic by any measure, same with that Coast Guard OPV from France. I am confident that we will get new ships much faster due to political will and better management of our funds and resources of the current (and even future) administration.

Where exactly did the information about the new Corvettes using the HDF2600 come from?

·
Registered
52 Posts
^^ And why did the navy not get brand new ships in the first place? And yes, anything that PNoy did took forever, if at all. The SSVs also took forever and there is nothing complex about those unlike warships. Plus 5 years just to get the new Frigates off the ground is pathetic by any measure, same with that Coast Guard OPV from France. I am confident that we will get new ships much faster due to political will and better management of our funds and resources of the current (and even future) administration.

1.The Italian ships were just part of a much bigger package offered to the AFP. The Army also had a stake in it with excess Italian materiel going to them.

2. The SSV's in hindsight aren't really complex. But in the context of the PH Navy at that time it was a huge step up in capability.

3. The frigates took 3 years not 5.

4. Though I do agree that political will does play a part, at the end of the day its still in the hands of the end user.

67881 - 67900 of 67923 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.