Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
10,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Millennials consider leaving Washington as the city becomes more costly
The young couple had mastered the morning choreography of their tiny Columbia Heights kitchen. John Van Zandt squeezed into one corner and toasted an English muffin. In another, his wife, Florencia Fuensalida, brewed coffee.

For years, renting a one-bedroom near bars and bus routes was a suitable trade-off for the wonders of the new Washington. But Van Zandt is 35 now; Fuensalida is 31. And kitchen space seemed a little tighter each day Fuensalida’s baby bump grew.

Maneuvering past the fridge, Fuensalida repeated a tired refrain: “We’re going to need a bigger place.” But where?

They were once a part of the free-spending group of young people who jolted Washington’s economy. Now older and with more financial strains, they are trying to find a new place in it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'm sure this will mean a boom for Baltimore...
How so? People have been moving up 270, down I-95 in Prince William County, and east into Prince George's, Howard, and Anne Arundel Counties. I haven't read much on a migration of folks from DC to Baltimore. Do tell. :)

·
Charles Village
148 Posts
That is what I did. I wanted historical charm with urbanity. I was wasting too much of my money on rent so I bought a place in Baltimore and cut my mortgage by a 1/3 and tripled my sq. plus I own my a home instead of renting. It was the best decision I ever made. I love the city now, it grew on me fast. I have met many ex-Washingtonians here in Baltimore.

·
Registered
366 Posts
How so? People have been moving up 270, down I-95 in Prince William County, and east into Prince George's, Howard, and Anne Arundel Counties. I haven't read much on a migration of folks from DC to Baltimore. Do tell. :)
Those Millenials who would still enjoy what a major city has to offer at an extremely affordable price. Every location you just named is assuming that Millenials are willing to just move out to the 'burbs and commute into DC. Millenials are a generation that want to be in cities, with access to transit and to local attractions. DC cannot offer that for anything under a rent of $1800 for a 1br, whereas you can own a 2br rowhome in Baltimore for a mortgage payment of $600/mo. May the boom begin!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Those Millenials who would still enjoy what a major city has to offer at an extremely affordable price. Every location you just named is assuming that Millenials are willing to just move out to the 'burbs and commute into DC. Millenials are a generation that want to be in cities, with access to transit and to local attractions. DC cannot offer that for anything under a rent of $1800 for a 1br, whereas you can own a 2br rowhome in Baltimore for a mortgage payment of $600/mo. May the boom begin!
I agree. I don't think edge cities will quite cut it.

·
Chairman of the Bored
851 Posts
millenials are also whiny and always demand things they don't deserve, the generation born between 1975 and 1995 need to learn they need to work hard for something before they can get it, it's just not going to be handed to them

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Don't generalize or root for Millenials as if they are all like-minded. Millenials is a stupid trendy media derived term. Not all thrive to live in hip urban areas. Many more probably just want affordable rent no matter where is. Some of you want everyone living on top of each other in co-ops, selling their cars and using public transportation. Those thoughts may help you fall asleep but most people don't have those same desires - not even your coveted millenials.

Thanks to this country not having any leadership at the top, most of these people are still living at home waiting tables. Boy, those college loans and indoctrination were well worth it.

·
Oh No He Didn't
5,297 Posts
Actually there has been a rising trend of people living in Baltimore for a cheaper urban experience and commuting into DC. As a matter of fact the neighborhoods around Penn Station have been experiencing gentrification recently because of this rising demand.

Baltimore Sun: A big part of a federal worker's job is just getting there

·
Registered
777 Posts

·
Chairman of the Bored
851 Posts
Don't generalize or root for Millenials as if they are all like-minded. Millenials is a stupid trendy media derived term. Not all thrive to live in hip urban areas. Many more probably just want affordable rent no matter where is. Some of you want everyone living on top of each other in co-ops, selling their cars and using public transportation. Those thoughts may help you fall asleep but most people don't have those same desires - not even your coveted millenials.

Thanks to this country not having any leadership at the top, most of these people are still living at home waiting tables. Boy, those college loans and indoctrination were well worth it.
don't get me wrong, there are some millenials that are okay, particularly the ones who have volunteered to put on a uniform and fight for this country, but they're just a small fraction, a small representation of the generation, the rest are whiners

·
Registered
866 Posts
don't get me wrong, there are some millenials that are okay, particularly the ones who have volunteered to put on a uniform and fight for this country, but they're just a small fraction, a small representation of the generation, the rest are whiners

You sound like a whiner right now, so I guess that makes you a millenial. :applause:

·
Oh No He Didn't
5,297 Posts
That makes sense. I wonder how this would affect Baltimore's character/vibe as more DC-oriented folk move in.
Well a lot of people that move to Baltimore and work in DC, tend to prefer the more low key and laid back vibe in Baltimore so I would not expect it to change too much even if the city does get a lot of DC transplants. If anything I can see the relationship between Baltimore and DC become more like San Francisco and Oakland which has become a sort of bedroom community for people who are priced out of San Francisco as the later becomes more expensive to live in.

·
Registered
194 Posts
"the generation before me was the greatest of generations, hardest of workers"

"this next generation is a bunch of lazy freeloaders who will never fill my generations shoes. They just want everything handed to them"

This line of reasoning has been true literally since the dawn of man. Nothing new here, I'm sure one day I'll be yelling about this upcoming generation is "a bunch of lazy good for nothings".

More on topic in my personal expierence (working in the DC area) everyone I know wants to get a job in Baltimore and move up there, literally every. single. person. my. age. Low rent, great night life, and tons of people my age already there. A snowball is a rolling my friends

edit: also the people there are viewed as SIGNIFICANTLY less pretentious than people in DC

·
Chairman of the Bored
851 Posts
the WWII generation saved the world from fascism, the flower power generation fought for civil rights, generation x ended hunger in Africa and around the world and made the internet accessible to everyone, millenials...we're still waiting for their great achievements

·
Registered
866 Posts
the WWII generation saved the world from fascism, the flower power generation fought for civil rights, generation x ended hunger in Africa and around the world and made the internet accessible to everyone, millenials...we're still waiting for their great achievements
Gay rights.

·
Registered
194 Posts
You're probably right, no one born between 85-95 will ever have any kind of achievements. You know minus Mark Zuckerberg creating a massively profitable company, a little under half of the LHC's scientists being in that bracket, and the fact that none of us are 30 yet.

edit: gives us plenty of time to keep adding to that list.

·
Registered
777 Posts
You're probably right, no one born between 85-95 will ever have any kind of achievements. You know minus Mark Zuckerberg creating a massively profitable company, a little under half of the LHC's scientists being in that bracket, and the fact that none of us are 30 yet.

edit: gives us plenty of time to keep adding to that list.
I'm not sure I would call Facebook an achievement. He really didn't revolutionalize anything. Myspace, the predecessor to Facebook, was already out there. And personal web pages have been around since the inception of AOL back in the early 90s.

Facebook started at the right time after the dot com boom and bust and things fell into place for Mark. Including some wealthy investors.

I agree with Yamota. There has yet to be a great achievement for those under 35. Something that sends the world into a new direction.

The 99% movement was a good start but fizzled. They had the chance to change the status quo.

Some say Americans are too comfortable, therefore they don't cause too much of a stir. People need to be fed up and uncomfortable.

The recession got that 99% movement going, but the economy started recovering and people got comfortable again.

·
Oh No He Didn't
5,297 Posts
I agree with Yamota. There has yet to be a great achievement for those under 35. Something that sends the world into a new direction.
I am pretty sure you could say the same thing about past generations if you look back. Honestly most people don't really achieve anything until they are at least 35-45 years old anyways.

·
Banned
702 Posts
I'm sure this will mean a boom for Baltimore...

No, it will be a boom for NOVA. Young professionals who work in DC wouldn't want to live in a illegal and crime infested city like Baltimore. Much better to live in NOVA lower property taxes, far lower crimes, lower personal income tax. I'm also leaving Baltimore for NOVA.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts