SkyscraperCity banner

29001 - 29020 of 45721 Posts

·
3,781 Posts
More details here regarding the potential Goll House move(s) to make way for the 26-story residential tower on Prospect:

http://www.jsonline.com/business/hi...e-high-rise-b99672265z1-369530441.html?ipad=y
Hey sorry to call you out for it.. but you can't be posting the whole article, just a little snippet. Another option would be to summarize the article, just make sure you leave the link so people can read the original source. This goes for anyone posting links to articles. If you have any questions about anything in the posting policy please refer to the Global Announcement found at the top of the page or shoot me a direct message. Just trying to avoid any copyright infringement.

Cool story though, hopefully everything moves forward as planned. Sounds like theres an awful lot of work that has gone into this project for it to go sour. The sooner we can break ground on it the better!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Westin Update

Just wanted to share an update on the Westin project since we're literally getting nothing from the press... I wish there were renderings too.

At least this is moving forward! :cheers:

"Next week marks the much anticipated start of the Westin Hotel project construction just south of the U.S. Bank Center! Site mobilization will begin Monday, February 22 and the project will continue through mid 2016.

As the project begins, our office will communicate construction and access updates on an approximately weekly basis. We are working on a site map to more clearly share access and job site details, and we hope to also share hotel exterior renderings when available.

The following changes will take place beginning Monday, February 22:

The general contractor for the project--J.H. Findorff & Sons--will install fencing around the initial job site perimeter.

General access to the courtyard driveway south of the U.S. Bank Center will close permanently.

Access to the Michigan South Core doors from the Parking Structure Level 1 will be maintained through the end of the week of February 22nd.

Storm water construction will begin Wednesday, February 24th and will require contractor work at B1 and Level 1 in the U.S. Bank Parking Structure. Pedestrian access will be maintained at these locations during this time."

·
Just a Source of Opinion
3,762 Posts
Just wanted to share an update on the Westin project since we're literally getting nothing from the press... I wish there were renderings too.

At least this is moving forward! :cheers:

"Next week marks the much anticipated start of the Westin Hotel project construction just south of the U.S. Bank Center! Site mobilization will begin Monday, February 22 and the project will continue through mid 2016.

As the project begins, our office will communicate construction and access updates on an approximately weekly basis. We are working on a site map to more clearly share access and job site details, and we hope to also share hotel exterior renderings when available.

The following changes will take place beginning Monday, February 22:

The general contractor for the project--J.H. Findorff & Sons--will install fencing around the initial job site perimeter.

General access to the courtyard driveway south of the U.S. Bank Center will close permanently.

Access to the Michigan South Core doors from the Parking Structure Level 1 will be maintained through the end of the week of February 22nd.

Storm water construction will begin Wednesday, February 24th and will require contractor work at B1 and Level 1 in the U.S. Bank Parking Structure. Pedestrian access will be maintained at these locations during this time."
It would appear we have the same employer. Great to see this finally starting. Although, it is incredibly strange to be starting site prep and still have not released renderings.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Potential MSOE Long Term Plans

Just some food for thought:

Whenever MSOE begins to plan a new building project they usually have the Architectural Engineering and Construction Management seniors make it their Senior Capstone Project. This year there are four teams working on two projects. One is a new engineering building on the lot they bought last spring on Water street. The other project is a new student union on the parking lot between Broadway and Milwaukee. Although these are student projects, in the past the University has used it as way to find out what students would like to see on the campus and to begin the fundraising process. So although it probably will be awhile before anything actually happens, you can get an idea of what the school has planned which would be pretty cool to get rid of some more parking lots.

I've also heard through the grapevine one of the design criteria for the Student Union is it has to connect with a new dorm building.

Later this spring, before graduation they have to present their projects and it is usually open to the public, so I can't wait to see what they have in mind. :)

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Since not everybody seems to read the subforums I thought that I would post this here, first of all is everybody ready for the supposed reveal of the Bucks arena and ancillary development plans in the next week or so? Depending on who you want to believe the general design and plans are supposed to be submitted to city and hopefully made public as early as next week Tuesday.

My question is, has anyone heard / read anything recently about the progress of lease negotiations between the Bucks and the WCD? I am assuming that even if the plans and renderings are released next week that construction still probably won't begin until the whole lease issue is resolved. Why start construction on a building where your primary tenant hasn't even signed a lease right?

I am hoping that we can get some sort of status report about where the negotiations are around when the Bucks finally make their plans public so we can kind of get an idea when construction might actually begin.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
No wonder why they didn't wan't to release it. This would be a much better fit in Tosa (no offense to them), but I suppose something there is better than nothing. Just a shame though the USB doesn't want any height on that parcel. With them starting work so soon, is it pretty safe to say this is final? I like the box that they've tacked on the lower levels like an after thoughts to try and mask the fact that is a cookie, cutter, assembly line design...

·
3,781 Posts
Haha, it's really bad.. Like awful. I'm kind of curious how the building sits on the lot. The brick part is just strange to me. It doesn't fit with anything on that block. Keep the weird block thing, fine, but change the material. I guess I do like the fact that it fronts VanBuren though. Between the parking ramp and the Westin, US Bank really blew it.

·
Banned
766 Posts
While I agree the design and height isnt anything to write home about, it is being placed in kind of a strange piece of real estate, and it will be bringing a "fine dining restaurant and a substantial lobby bar" to the area, so it is better than nothing. On the bright side, its smallness leaves more room for future hotel development.

·
3,781 Posts
Ok.. extremely quick/crappy photoshop job.. but the building would look much better with another 4-5 floors. Assuming it's kept the L shape, keep the east/west portion of the project at this height then add 4-5 floors facing VanBuren. Makes the building feel a little more substantial, doesn't interfere with 833 East. I just feel like they almost should have waited with this hotel until the market justified more rooms. I guess it's better thank nothing though like you guys said.

·
Registered
109 Posts
While I agree the design and height isnt anything to write home about, it is being placed in kind of a strange piece of real estate, and it will be bringing a "fine dining restaurant and a substantial lobby bar" to the area, so it is better than nothing. On the bright side, its smallness leaves more room for future hotel development.
Agreed. Looks better when I downloaded the image and viewed full size on my computer. Hopefully, the materials and finishes will be reasonable quality.

It's really a horrendous site, surrounded on 1-1/2 sides by a 6-7 story parking garage, on another by a skywalk/bridge structure, and overlooking a parking lot on the other side. Pretty bleak. This will be a big urban fabric improvement, and provide all sorts of positives (tax base, hotel rooms within easier walk to the lakefront, etc.) The design appears to have managed to elevate the rooms to above the level of the parking garage.

I still wonder whether the Couture could include a hotel. Seems like another 1000 hotel rooms have been added to Milwaukee since the hotel announcement that supposedly killed the hotel component of the Couture.

·
urban informant
669 Posts
I don't like this Westin at all, this is why the hotel was removed from the Couture???
Glad there is some infill, could've been so much better though.

·
Crankbaiter
1,035 Posts
No wonder why they didn't wan't to release it. This would be a much better fit in Tosa (no offense to them), but I suppose something there is better than nothing. Just a shame though the USB doesn't want any height on that parcel. With them starting work so soon, is it pretty safe to say this is final? I like the box that they've tacked on the lower levels like an after thoughts to try and mask the fact that is a cookie, cutter, assembly line design...
Is that the Westin proposed for Appleton?

29001 - 29020 of 45721 Posts