SkyscraperCity banner

44941 - 44960 of 45192 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
You’re talking about fantasy autonomous vehicles that don’t exist at the moment, not to mention that an electric autonomous car is still a car that takes up an inordinate amount of space relative to a bus, bicycle or train and has all the same issues with disrupting the pedestrian environment. Cost wise, we’ve spent billions on the freeway system and are planning to spend billions more in the near future to almost no benefit to the city; The Hop could be expanded tremendously for that amount of money to cover huge swathes of the city in conjunction with huge upgrades to buses in terms of frequency, bus shelter quality, etc.

Milwaukee needs some growth but do you really want to explode in population?
Boomers are dying off, so yes we do need new population if you want the city and state to remain successful. More people means more revenue and demand for goods and services, plus it makes the city more interesting. Milwaukee had significantly more people in a much smaller footprint prior to post-war annexation of what are basically sprawling suburbs and city in name only. I don’t know if you ever visit parts of the North and West sides but there are plenty of vacant or underpopulated neighborhoods that would benefit greatly from having their populations bolstered by new residents.

Also still haven’t answered whether you’re actually a Milwaukee or even county resident. I want to understand your frame of reference here.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Hammer, meet nail head. I am someone who is proud of their German heritage, but that heritage is a story about German Jews who had settled around Stettin (now Szczecin, Poland) and the Volga Germans who followed Empress Catherine to Russia. Definitely not kitschy, Bavarian schtick.
Pomeranian crew rise up.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
You’re talking about fantasy autonomous vehicles that don’t exist at the moment, not to mention that an electric autonomous car is still a car that takes up an inordinate amount of space relative to a bus, bicycle or train and has all the same issues with disrupting the pedestrian environment. Cost wise, we’ve spent billions on the freeway system and are planning to spend billions more in the near future to almost no benefit to the city; The Hop could be expanded tremendously for that amount of money to cover huge swathes of the city in conjunction with huge upgrades to buses in terms of frequency, bus shelter quality, etc.

Boomers are dying off, so yes we do need new population if you want the city and state to remain successful. More people means more revenue and demand for goods and services, plus it makes the city more interesting. Milwaukee had significantly more people in a much smaller footprint prior to post-war annexation of what are basically sprawling suburbs and city in name only. I don’t know if you ever visit parts of the North and West sides but there are plenty of vacant or underpopulated neighborhoods that would benefit greatly from having their populations bolstered by new residents.

Also still haven’t answered whether you’re actually a Milwaukee or even county resident. I want to understand your frame of reference here.
Fantasy for a few more years until it isn't. That technology is just around the corner and less of a fantasy for cities like Milwaukee than asking the taxpayers for billions. This besides the real possibility that the post-Covid stay at home economy might not require this investment for hordes of commuters to offices. It is necessary in a congested city like New York but a slower-growing, heavily blue-collar, and single-family/duplex dominated city like Milwaukee boasting light traffic?

The freeway system has been a benefit to Milwaukee and isn't going anywhere. You still need trucks to deliver goods around town and around the country from factories/retailers. It must be maintained anyway for that reason, so car traffic is an added benefit. A single 18 wheeler is the equivalent to 10,000 cars in terms of wearing down roads.

The Boomers might be dying off but we aren't having enough kids to replace them. Milwaukee was much denser back when those families had 5-6 kids in some cases piled into homes that we fit 4 people into. The South Side still seems to have some of that, with its high immigrant population but I don't think we can rely on that going forward with declining birth rates from all races and nationalities. We could build more multi-family, which I support, but it would seemingly take alot to get us back to our peak.

As for where I live, I've said before I'm from here. Why does it matter though? We have people all over the metro area who are interested in development. Many people living in the suburbs are former residents or living on the fringes of the city. Milwaukee's metro area is pretty dense. Even people who live in Brookfield or New Berlin are basically minutes from the city and are entitled to their own opinions on what happens here.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Simply incredible how one person can be this obstinate, it has to be a long con troll act. Do you understand geometry? Object permanence? Do you understand how expensive highways and parking requirements are relative to building around walking/transit? The cars still have to go somewhere, they still pollute even if they’re electric (brake dust, rubber, etc.).

Maybe I’m especially angry right now, but I blame most of the ills of Wisconsin on people like you with such uninformed and outdated viewpoints on just about everything.

Even people who live in Brookfield or New Berlin are basically minutes from the city and are entitled to their own opinions on what happens here.
The hell they are, they don’t live in the county even. I don’t tell people in Brookfield or Waukesha how to run their chosen communities and they’ve no right to do so with mine. But they do.

You say you’re “from” here but I really doubt you actually live in the city proper at this point.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Is there any actual development discussion on this forum anymore? I miss the old days around 10 years ago when I originally joined this forum when we would actually have the occasional insider tip or we would get construction photos from workers on some of the development projects around the area. It sure seems like at least once a week the conversation seems to devolve into the same unconstructive bickering and finger pointing about essentially the same issues.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Simply incredible how one person can be this obstinate, it has to be a long con troll act. Do you understand geometry? Object permanence? Do you understand how expensive highways and parking requirements are relative to building around walking/transit? The cars still have to go somewhere, they still pollute even if they’re electric (brake dust, rubber, etc.).

Maybe I’m especially angry right now, but I blame most of the ills of Wisconsin on people like you with such uninformed and outdated viewpoints on just about everything.

The hell they are, they don’t live in the county even. I don’t tell people in Brookfield or Waukesha how to run their chosen communities and they’ve no right to do so with mine. But they do.

You say you’re “from” here but I really doubt you actually live in the city proper at this point.

Hell no to anyone from any of the burbs around Milwaukee having any say on what goes on in Milwaukee. For decades the residents in most of the burbs have fought tooth and nail to not only
not be associated with the city of Milwaukee, but to also actively try their very best to put it down. Those same residents don't just get to come now and say they want to help or should have a say.

Anywho, we should all stop feeding the troll and get back to development talk (the troll literally only really brings up issues when they have a problem with something race related in Milwaukee).

Couple questions. When is river 1 supposed to be completed? Whats going on with the Masonic center (I know its for sale but I live a block away and constantly see it in use).
And finally, has there been any more talk on anything that is supposed to go across the street from the convention center (I would assume something has to happen soon since the
streetcar is supposed to run through it and terminate at the deer district)?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I believe there has not been much interest in redevelopment of the 4th and Wisconsin site since the initial two proposals. The RFP is still up and active on the city website. The PDF documentation indicates that proposals will be accepted on on the last Friday of every month for review. I am assuming that if something were proposed not only would it make the local news but the file would also be available on the redevelopment authority website and I cannot find anything. I think the asking price combined with the lack of TIF funding is at least partially driving the lack of interest at this time.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hell no to anyone from any of the burbs around Milwaukee having any say on what goes on in Milwaukee. For decades the residents in most of the burbs have fought tooth and nail to not only
not be associated with the city of Milwaukee, but to also actively try their very best to put it down. Those same residents don't just get to come now and say they want to help or should have a say.

Anywho, we should all stop feeding the troll and get back to development talk (the troll literally only really brings up issues when they have a problem with something race related in Milwaukee).

Couple questions. When is river 1 supposed to be completed? Whats going on with the Masonic center (I know its for sale but I live a block away and constantly see it in use).
And finally, has there been any more talk on anything that is supposed to go across the street from the convention center (I would assume something has to happen soon since the
streetcar is supposed to run through it and terminate at the deer district)?
1. I believe River1, or at least the buildings that were scheduled to be completed in Phase 1, were scheduled to be completed by June of 2021, but due to the explosion that occurred a couple months ago, I may add a month or 2 to that? I'm not really sure how much destruction occurred after the explosion
2. The Masonic Center is expected to be converted into 22-25 residential units under a new proposal. I don't believe there is a starting date for the project yet, or if it's even been approved, but maybe they've started cleaning up the inside of the building?
3. There's still nothing for the 4th & Wisconsin site. I believe if the streetcar expansion gets approved, then we'll see a new plaza built within part of the parking lot, but we still haven't received any new building proposals since eMbarKE and NEXUS were proposed many years ago. I think the plan was to build this plaza, and then if something big were to be proposed for the site, the plaza would either be knocked down, or somehow built into the proposal. Hopefully we get something new soon. (And also, the streetcar wouldn't terminate in the Deer District, it's expected to be expanded all the way up to North Avenue)

Renderings of Vel R Phillips Plaza (the 4th & Wisconsin Site)

·
Registered
174 Posts
1. I believe River1, or at least the buildings that were scheduled to be completed in Phase 1, were scheduled to be completed by June of 2021, but due to the explosion that occurred a couple months ago, I may add a month or 2 to that? I'm not really sure how much destruction occurred after the explosion
2. The Masonic Center is expected to be converted into 22-25 residential units under a new proposal. I don't believe there is a starting date for the project yet, or if it's even been approved, but maybe they've started cleaning up the inside of the building?
3. There's still nothing for the 4th & Wisconsin site. I believe if the streetcar expansion gets approved, then we'll see a new plaza built within part of the parking lot, but we still haven't received any new building proposals since eMbarKE and NEXUS were proposed many years ago. I think the plan was to build this plaza, and then if something big were to be proposed for the site, the plaza would either be knocked down, or somehow built into the proposal. Hopefully we get something new soon. (And also, the streetcar wouldn't terminate in the Deer District, it's expected to be expanded all the way up to North Avenue)

View attachment 1112474 View attachment 1112475
I believe according to the latest RFP info that I have seen the plaza is being built because that entire area is no longer part of the development site. The documentation states that the streetcar would require an easement of 30 feet if overhead wires were constructed on this portion of the line and 20 feet if the vehicle were to be running off wire on battery. In either case I believe the easement leaves so little developable land on the north side of the streetcar tracks that this plaza is the best available use for that land.

·
Registered
403 Posts
No kidding, the city needs to get expansion plans in order now that the federal money tap might be getting turned on again.
If I am remembering correctly the push to try and get the expansions started was that at least one of the TIF districts they were going to tap to fund the expansions was supposed to close or is going to close. I get that the cities finances are going to be very tough the next couple years, but hopefully they can find a way to keep the momentum going. They may not be able to get the whole stretch up to North funded on their own, but they need to find a way to get it up to Fiserv.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Somebody once upon a time had an idea that the entire block should just become a park with the transit center. Tear down the parking garage and make it so. I think that's the best use of this space. The Bucks intend to build at least one convention-sized hotel on their land and the Hyatt still has room for an expansion. There is no particular need for a hotel or anything else on this block. Sod it.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
If you tear down the garage and make it a park it’s literally kitty corner from Zeidler park. The plaza yes absolutely, but the garage should be a significant re-development. If not a hotel, residential/commercial.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

View attachment 1112474 View attachment 1112475
there Needs to be a mixed use development at that site. It’s a shame Marcus has killed every single option at that site for decades but I would be ok letting it sit ala The couture site for a little bit to make sure we get it right.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts

Good to see some redevelopment plans being thought through for the komatsu site.
Fingers crossed they do not remove the railroad tracks.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Who actually owns all the ROW/tracks through there at this moment? Including everything adjacent to and including the Hank Aaron trail.

44941 - 44960 of 45192 Posts