SkyscraperCity banner

44961 - 44980 of 45192 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
I would guess it's either Canadian Pacific, Union Pacific, or a combination of both.

Edit: I think this Transit Innovations website is new:
It looks like those tracks, at least from their starter map, are Union Pacific.

The only new stuff I can tell from this site is:

• The Transit Oriented Development will be built first
  • Allegedly, the funding for the infrastructure of the E-Way is in place.
  • They are now working with CITI Group, which I think could be a major development.

It makes me wonder if they could somehow try to be part of the development here, if in fact they are for real.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I think I stumbled across this website before. It looks like it has been updated though with the detailed stops for the airport and other larger potential stations.

EDIT: I just visited the full website on my pc and I am almost positive it has been updated since I last stumbled across it. Engaging Citi bank means they’re serious. Again, still not sure how feasible this is though and how much capital they’ll be able to raise. But it’s definitely not a scam.

Who is the poster who reached out and was told they expected to “launch” soon? Maybe they were talking about launching this website and more aggressive marketing.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Who is the poster who reached out and was told they expected to “launch” soon? Maybe they were talking about launching this website and more aggressive marketing.
I said recently that one of my coworkers in a meeting glossed over that a commuter rail company hired an engineering firm to come up with needs to be done for this to be green lite and that they were coordinating with that firm. That might not be what you are thinking of but it’s the last news I’ve heard.

The map I saw for the study was from Pleasant Prairie to Pewaukee. It could be the other people. I have no idea.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Unfortunately, as evidenced by the "commuter rail" terminology and the one-way station rendering, this seems to provide peak one-directional service only. The city/county should be moving immediately to change this.
Look at how the Ottawa Trillium line runs, it uses single platform stations and single tracking most of the way with a reasonable service frequency, also DMUs. It just relies on passing tracks and the lower frequency for it to work. Which I think would be fine if we're seeing trains every 20-30 minutes on this initially. I think it's extremely relatable to what this could be.

As long as they build it in a manner where it can be double tracked and have dual platform stations I'd be OK with an initial single track/platform setup if that means it actually gets built.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
I think I stumbled across this website before. It looks like it has been updated though with the detailed stops for the airport and other larger potential stations.

EDIT: I just visited the full website on my pc and I am almost positive it has been updated since I last stumbled across it. Engaging Citi bank means they’re serious. Again, still not sure how feasible this is though and how much capital they’ll be able to raise. But it’s definitely not a scam.

What site?

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
$240M is the estimated price-tag for the museum. From the article, "The development, construction and equipment of the new museum space will cost $170 million. A total investment of $240 million is expected, including site purchase, transaction costs, endowment funds, movement of the collections and the Betty Brinn Children's Museum development. "

Importantly, Evers is proposing $40M in the State's budget for it. Of course, since the GOP hates Milwaukee, I will be shocked if even $1 ends up in the final budget.

"Included in the proposed state budget was more detail about the new museum's physical space. The 230,000-square-foot building will include 80,000 square feet of exhibit space, which will feature permanent exhibits, a temporary gallery for traveling exhibits, planetarium and a vivarium (butterfly wing). The new museum will also have a welcome lobby, cafe, retail store and underground parking structure. Along with public space, the new museum will have 43,000 square feet for collections research and storage as well as classrooms, an auditorium, events space and workshop for exhibit maintenance. The Betty Brinn Children's Museum will occupy 30,000 square feet in the museum. The new children's museum will be funded through private funds, according to the proposed state budget."

·
Registered
117 Posts

Its definitely been updated. Much more detail and a few more specifics.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Is it just me or are the routes really weird for the Eway? I get that they're on existing rail (which is very smart), but it would seem that there are least 5 (or 4) lines of this needed to avoid really annoying and extraneous trips. I hope the plan isn't two lines - one per rail company. If you look at the map this is what makes sense:

1. North Red - Station 1-6 (to the intermodal)
2. South Red - Station 24-6
1-2B Red Combine North - South
3. Northwest Red - Station 16-6 with shared between 4-6
4. North Central Blue - Station 23 - 6 with Bayview jog
5. West Blue - Station 20-6 with Bayview Jog with shared between 18-6

100% have faith in this project NOT happening BTW. Even if fully private and operating on existing lines - I think the suburbs and Waukesha County would shut it down. Also no confidence that we could find ridership if it weren't super cheap.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
100% have faith in this project NOT happening BTW. Even if fully private and operating on existing lines - I think the suburbs and Waukesha County would shut it down. Also no confidence that we could find ridership if it weren't super cheap.
No harm in it being a curiosity. With BRT about to get built, a second BRT starting, likely more street car expansions and Amtrak slowly getting upgraded both to Minneapolis and Chicago, I am happy where we are at.

To me this is just a, let’s see how far they can get and what kind of proposal they end up going with. If someone wants to spend the money looking into track upgrades and the best vehicles to use, I am interested to see what that information is.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
The BRT getting built is great, but there are still significant gaps when looking at it on a regional basis. Example: I want to be able to get from the east side to say National/Greenfield in like 30ish minutes via frequent and good transit. Hell, I'll take just frequent and stops that have shelters/seating over fast. Right now that takes 1-2 transfers and significant walking, not to mention the actual journey time.

Even with MCTS NEXT (which is a great effort):

It's not all bad but this is where some light rail (or even more BRT lines) could make a huge difference since the local bus network for Milwaukee is honestly pretty great otherwise. The only major changes I'd make to normal buses would be increasing the frequency and building high quality stops/shelters.

·
KBT Resident & MKE Native
597 Posts
Everything you said is right, but that map is totally incorrect. It takes me 15 minutes maximum to get from Kilbourn/Prospect to 35th/Wisconsin on Gold.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The BRT getting built is great, but there are still significant gaps when looking at it on a regional basis. Example: I want to be able to get from the east side to say National/Greenfield in like 30ish minutes via frequent and good transit. Hell, I'll take just frequent and stops that have shelters/seating over fast. Right now that takes 1-2 transfers and significant walking, not to mention the actual journey time.

Even with MCTS NEXT (which is a great effort):
View attachment 1121938

It's not all bad but this is where some light rail (or even more BRT lines) could make a huge difference since the local bus network for Milwaukee is honestly pretty great otherwise. The only major changes I'd make to normal buses would be increasing the frequency and building high quality stops/shelters.
For me, this as it’s laid out, would literally change my day to day life. I am a short bike ride from the Chase/Oklahoma stop - I could get downtown for work via the Intermodal Station, I could go out for drinks in Tosa without driving or paying through the nose for a cab, I could go to Brewers and Bucks games, I could go to Mayfair. I could even head to New Berlin to visit relatives. There’s a lot I could do without a car.

The biggest boon is airport traffic- that will create instant ridership that a lot of transit systems don’t have built in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Everything you said is right, but that map is totally incorrect. It takes me 15 minutes maximum to get from Kilbourn/Prospect to 35th/Wisconsin on Gold.
Looks like those estimates may be based on an immediate location (Prospect and North judging from the marker on the map)

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Anyone know what type of vehicle they are showing on the eway website? I’m guessing it’s just a placeholder but I’m curious what is out there since I know the KRM had one option for mixed rail traffic and that model is defunct.

44961 - 44980 of 45192 Posts