SkyscraperCity banner

45001 - 45020 of 45656 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
For a frame of reference it's probably helpful to understand what Kilbourn looked like before widening or MacArthur Square ruined half of Kilbourntown:

In particular look at those buildings that got demolished right in the foreground. Really a tragic atrocity inflicted on the city because people thought they could ham fist modernity in with a fancy public square (that offers zero connection to the rest of the neighborhood) and freeway onramps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
State office building isn't pretty but I'm hesitant to demolish things that need not be. Throw some paint on it and convert it into affordable housing.
Also thinking of re-use existing buildings. If the IMAX wing of the museum is still good condition. It would be cool to save that part and convert it to a proper planetarium with a few exhibits. Call it the James Lovell Space Center and Planetarium, perfect for on James Lovell street :)

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
That's total enrollment, not actual on site students. Yeah, there are a lot downtown but you can't simply take the total enrollment and add it up. MATC especially has several facilities in the county. Also online only enrollment, etc. Not sure why some of you are so insistent on replacing a dysfunctional park with another park but not actually addressing the primary issue of it being isolated from anything else of pedestrian interest for several blocks. Placemaking.
That and plenty of them are part time students who have full time jobs and families, plenty of them would continue commuting even if there was significantly more student housing availability.

MacArthur Square should be transformed into a a series of Mixed Use Developments combining residential business and municipal functions. A plan that creates activity around the clock, maybe a town square type environment mixing park with commercial uses. We could still call it MacArthur Square, or perhaps rebrand the plaza with a different name.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I think the biggest must is the entire thing needs to be marketed as one redevelopment including the state office building since the entire campus besides the court house and possibly the police headquarters is at the end of its useful life. The freeway ramps need to be demolished too.

I want to see the entire campus with a master plan and not done piece by piece.
i know there was the 2010 master plan, not that I was a huge fan of it but there was something recent. I do agree that a new master plan needs to be done to account for so much changing in the area.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
State office building isn't pretty but I'm hesitant to demolish things that need not be. Throw some paint on it and convert it into affordable housing.
We've gone away from affordable housing projects of that size for good reason and I see no reason to return. Now if you wanted to turn it into a mixed income development with low middle and high income units that I could get behind.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
For a frame of reference it's probably helpful to understand what Kilbourn looked like before widening or MacArthur Square ruined half of Kilbourntown:
View attachment 1125091

View attachment 1125092

View attachment 1125101
In particular look at those buildings that got demolished right in the foreground. Really a tragic atrocity inflicted on the city because people thought they could ham fist modernity in with a fancy public square (that offers zero connection to the rest of the neighborhood) and freeway onramps.
What was all that open, empty space before? Very sparse, so probably not park land...?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
How many residents and businesses (e.g. tax revenue and consumers, people keeping the neighborhood lively) existed in what is now freeway or parking lots in the latter image?

·
3,779 Posts
I think the city should put out a request for proposals for the area between 6th and 9th St between State and Wells. Give the area a new name and require that it include a proposal for a new Milwaukee County Safety building and Police Department. If it was done right it would frame the Courthouse and vistas looking east and could amount to something similar to Chicago's Lakeshore East development obviously on a smaller scale.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Lakeshore East would be a great scenario to model of off. My only thought against that though is wanting to maintain and enhance the vista you do get there. It's a really unique view of the skyline that's only going to get better with some infill. Lakeshore East Park is buried a bit and doesn't have a lot of open space.

I'd still want a playground and dog park as part of a re-done park, but would choose the lot that's currently a parking lot for that (or where the ramps currently connect to Kilbourn). It'd be kitty corner from the redeveloped BC part of the Deer District and I imagine would get a lot of use for all the dog owners. I'd have a grove of replanted trees from the MPM footprint for shade. Kind of fixated on my own idea for a gently sloping contiguous park that removes Lovell, has an outer rectangular path with gardens, an inner reflecting pool with a water feature (and recirculating water with mini-waterfalls), areas for vendors and areas to eat. Would think clean and modern would be best here. Maybe cream brick as the pavers. Perhaps the parcel created by removing the onramp could be a cool closeable circular drive custom made for food trucks or craft / area / farmers markets.

I also don't hate the State Office Building...that's an example of Brutalism I'd like to keep, even if just the façade facing Wells. You'd need to ditch the MKE County Service Center addition, and I think you could do some cool modern glass bump outs and/or park-facing balconies on the other side. Not sure the weight possible, but could also see a rooftop patio / grill area. First floor could be co-working space and a tenant gym. Plus, the State Office Building has amazing blank walls on either side that would make great mural canvases.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Plus, the State Office Building has amazing blank walls on either side that would make great mural canvases.
What would it take to also have some imaginative mosaics in addition to murals on large blank walls? Those really appeal to me.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
View attachment 1128463
Milwaukee had this, we just sacrificed it so everyone would have the "freedom" of driving everywhere.
I think the Public Square concept could work with a revitalized MacArthur Square. But you'd need to rebuild and replace the municipal buildings to more of a mixed use concept, better connect 819 6th St. to that Plaza, maybe build a platform over 6th Street to extend it. I'd also want to see a Mixed used residential/office/parking garage similar to with 1-3 floors of parking and 6-10 floors of residential/office located at the current Fiserv Parking Lot. The idea would be to create a latter day Courthouse Square right in the heart of Kilbourntown. The final development would boast 1k+ of mixed residential in close proximity with a significant number of day municipal workers.

I suspect that a lot of law firms would move into those spaces and offices made available. I used to work walking distance from the Courthouse and thats probably the one thing I miss.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Eveytime I see that picture I really want to see Water st between Mason and Kilbourn raised to at grade with the side walks, some nice brick and pedestrian barriers.

·
Registered
323 Posts
What I'd love to see in this city, the public squares I saw in Madrid and Barcelona. Well ok not quite, but an open plaza ringed with bars and restaurants with dense mixed use developments around it.
I beat this drum a lot, but Cathedral Square could be this - a lot of European style public squares are framed by a church. I think having the fountain covered by a mostly un-used stage has been a huge mistake, but we'll see what happens with activation once the park is redone.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
The MSOE library needs to be demo'd and replaced with something that actually activates the street. You can add restrooms and a small concession stand on the east side (I think this is sort of in the plans) so it'll be mostly activated on all sides. Keep the concessions open all the time as a sort of open air cafe/beer garden.

45001 - 45020 of 45656 Posts