Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mostly Sane
2,330 Posts
Thanks for the link, Flatiron! Nice pics. Some "Minne-Mountains" are even higher. I know Eagle Mountain is about 1700 feet above the level of Lake Superior, just a few miles away.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eagle mountain is the highest point in minnesota. It is maybe 20 miles away from lake supierior, and has a 500 ft vertical rise.
There is also another eagle mountain in lutsen mountains ski area.
http://www.lutsen.com/winter/
It rise 700 ft.
The mountains on lake supierior are called the sawtooth mountains.
The mountains in the boudry waters are called misqua hills.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
^^^I've hiked to the top of Eagle Mountain, it's pretty sweet. At the top, you're looking over the lake and you can see curves in the shoreline that would normally only be visible from the air or a map. You still can't see the other side of the lake though, it looks like an ocean. I wish had a digital camera when I was there.

I checked the highest points in WI, MI, and OH, (don't think I need to check IL, IA, etc.) and at 2300 ft above sea level, it looks like Eagle Mountain is the highest point in the midwest.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spirit mountain is more of a bluff.
But it has a cool view.
Speaking of views here is one from enger tower in duluth.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The anti-cheesehead said:
It was by lutsen, not at the ski area though. Are there two eagle mountains?
Ya, one is at lutsen ski area & the other is the highest point in MN (2300 ft) and is north of grand marais.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Nice pics, I really love the drive from Duluth to Lutsen. It has been many years since I was there last and hope to get up there this summer and do some hiking/biking. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
flatiron94 said:
Ya, one is at lutsen ski area & the other is the highest point in MN (2300 ft) and is north of grand marais.
I actually got mixed up, it's Carlton Peak that you can see the lake from.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
GBSurveyor said:
Nice pics, I really love the drive from Duluth to Lutsen. It has been many years since I was there last and hope to get up there this summer and do some hiking/biking. Any suggestions?
I recommend Tettegouche State Park. Check out Palisade Head, and hike up the Baptism river to see a bunch of water falls.

Here's Palisade Head:

Here's a pic of the Baptism River:

·
King of Flyover Country
1,085 Posts
I presume Kansas, North or South Dakota, or Nebraska has the highest point in the Midwest. Though Minnesota is beautiful.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Ah, I didn't think of South Dakota...that's surprising that it's the highest east of the Mississippi in North America, I would've thought it would've been somewhere in eastern Canada.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts