SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 8597 Posts

·
Mostly Sane
2,282 Posts
Here's a bit more about the next large office tower for Minneapolis. The quotes are excerpts from the Business Journal:

"Ryan Cos. U.S. Inc. has hired an East Coast architectural firm to design what could be the next big addition to the Minneapolis skyline.

Ryan selected Pickard Chilton Architects Inc., based in New Haven, Conn., to design some concepts for a new office tower at the corner of Eighth Street South and Marquette Avenue.

Rick Collins, vice president of development for Ryan, wouldn't put any limits on the height of a proposed tower.

By retaining an architect and identifying a specific site for a new tower, Ryan is further along than other prospective downtown developers, including Minnetonka-based Opus Northwest and Hines Interests of Houston.

Opus owns several sites in downtown where it could develop an office tower. Hines is pursuing prospective sites. "

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Ryan selected Pickard Chilton Architects Inc., based in New Haven, Conn., to design some concepts for a new office tower at the corner of Eighth Street South and Marquette Avenue.
Which corner of 8th and Marquette? Are they going to tear down a building for that because that intersection is full already with the IDS, Midwest Plaza, TCF building, and the Baker Center.

·
Mostly Sane
2,282 Posts
It's the corner nearest the IDS tower on the TCF block. They would tear down that lower section of the existing TCF building. The article also states that the current 17-story portion of the TCF building would become part of the project. The area is outlined below. Given that the Foshay Tower on the same block is being renovated into a "W" Hotel, this would create quite a complex for a mixed-use tower. And quite a crowded block! I can't imagine being in a W suite and looking across 30 feet of space to a curtain wall.

Now, if they are audacious enough to enclose the Foshay in the atrium of a supertall, well...:colgate:

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
It's been proposed in the past.

·
Captain
2,813 Posts
I hope its as tall as the more prominant buildings in Minneapolis. IDS, the one with the funky top (i cant remember its name) etc. Good design too, I love the look of your skyline now really futuristic. Very cool.

·
Mostly Sane
2,282 Posts
I've noticed that downtown Minny has very few surface lots...maybe we in Indy could learn a thing or two.
Downtown still has a fair number concentrated around the Metrodome. The shot below shows this area. Fortunately it is filling in. The bright green areas have all been built up with condos (and the new Guthrie Theatre) since the Google Earth image was made a few years ago. A new park is now located at the far right on the river where Cirque du Soleil used to set up their white tents.

Talk is that a new Vikings stadium will be built downtown. It may be in this area or it may be on the other side of downtown near the new Twins stadium.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Has anyone heard any recent news on the twinsville project?

·
Mostly Sane
2,282 Posts
It sounds like a 9-story 5-star hotel will be added to the base of the 54-story Nicollet project. An image of the current design is below. A discussion about the new changes to the project starts here on Minnescraper.

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
I really like the Nicolette. It is a great looking building. Do you have an idea as to what brand they are going after for the hotel? I know that MSP doesn't have a 5-star hotel, so this will be a great addition. When Indy was able to get the Conrad there were a number of write-ups in the Indy Star about 5-Star hotels and what it takes to get the rating from AAA/Mobile. Chicago was the only city in the midwest to have a 5-star hotel (three of them) and if I recall there is a 5-star resort outside of Cleveland. Otherwise, none. The Indianapolis Conrad has yet to be rated, but all of the build-up and hoopla surrounding the construction and opening stated that they would seek and be awarded the 5-star rating.

I know that Conrad is in the process of expanding its brand in NA.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I really like the Nicolette. It is a great looking building. Do you have an idea as to what brand they are going after for the hotel? I know that MSP doesn't have a 5-star hotel, so this will be a great addition. When Indy was able to get the Conrad there were a number of write-ups in the Indy Star about 5-Star hotels and what it takes to get the rating from AAA/Mobile. Chicago was the only city in the midwest to have a 5-star hotel (three of them) and if I recall there is a 5-star resort outside of Cleveland. Otherwise, none. The Indianapolis Conrad has yet to be rated, but all of the build-up and hoopla surrounding the construction and opening stated that they would seek and be awarded the 5-star rating.

Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons have been mentioned as possibilities.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Conrad is owned by Hilton, which owns three other hotels within a two block radius of that site, (and that's not including the Embassy Suites down the road about 4 blocks away). They might be interested, but the other names mentioned seem more likely.

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
Conrad is owned by Hilton, which owns three other hotels within a two block radius of that site, (and that's not including the Embassy Suites down the road about 4 blocks away). They might be interested, but the other names mentioned seem more likely.
Here in our DT, Hiton "owns" the City. Our Conrad and Hilton are half a block from each other...then the "Garden Inn" is a block away...not to mention an Extended Stay and whatever other brands they have here.

·
Mostly Sane
2,282 Posts
^It's good to know someone else peruses this thread on occasion. I guess Minnescraper does tend to take away the Twin Cities crowd.

Anyhow, here are some brief updates:

The new University of Minnesota Gophers Stadium will, according to an announcement yesterday, will be paid off 3 years sooner than expected due to the state getting a better-than-expected rate on the bonds. Site prepwork is underway.

The 34-story, 375-foot Penfield in St. Paul is continuing to sell units briskly and has cleared all development hurdles in the city. Their website has some very nice renderings.

The Minnesota Planetarium on the roof on the new Pelli-designed Central Library is scheduled to open in 2009:

And rumors of the new skyscraper continue...

1 - 20 of 8597 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.