SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
6601 - 6620 of 8596 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
MPLS_Dispatcher_Guy is right. In addition to being an incinerator, the HERC is tied into the district heating/cooling system for downtown, as well as the power transmission grid. Based on recent Department of Energy estimates and my own experience in the industry, I'd ballpark the cost of decommissioning the current plant and building a similar one elsewhere at ~$500 million. Additionally, a new plant elsewhere wouldn't allow for connection to the district energy system, so you'd also have to add in the costs for building a new (almost certainly gas-fired) steam plant or renovating half the buildings downtown with boilers.

You might remember that, during the 2013 mayoral elections, Mayor Hodges and other candidates made getting rid of HERC a campaign plank, but there's been basically no mention of it since? That's why.

Basically, utility facility placement is super important, because they're nearly impossible to move once built.
Really? I thought they ship the air all the way over from St. Paul, I think someone mentioned the building is on MLK blvd.

:horse:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
:eek:ld: renderings. The current plan is two 30 story residential towers. But that could change.
Yes, look closely that picture if of TWO 30 floor towers! it may be old but that video was released this week. Perhaps they are planning something different but that design looks to be two separate buildings both about the same height as Nic on Fifth The buildings are cut in half east and west which if they built the west side building it would allow for the skyway segment to connect into the Central Library which was stated they intend to build one tower now and one tower later. It does add up.

Granted they might be working on some changes but I think it gives us at least a idea how they plan on laying out the block. Oversized podiums with community amenities just like Nic on Fifth. A mid block car traffic lanes with small elements of green space. Would be disappointing to see that plain podium wall along Nicollet Ave or anywhere downtown actually! Although, maybe we will get to see a bit more lipstick on this pig :lol:

Either way it will increase density and will be a great addition to downtown. Though the west tower does remind me of the Nicollet Hotel proposed tower too!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
C'mon Opus, make it 1x 60 story tower!
They intend to build one tower now and which will connect into the skyway system from the new Xcel energy HQ to the Central Library (allowing for Nicollet Hotel block skyway access) and another tower later to make sure they units are better absorbed into the marketplace. I don't think they will intend to just building something big just cause it would look "cool" they want to ensure they have good return on profit, and not being left trying to fill up a 60 floor tower all at once.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yes, look closely that picture if of TWO 30 floor towers! it may be old but that video was released this week. Perhaps they are planning something different but that design looks to be two separate buildings both about the same height as Nic on Fifth The buildings are cut in half east and west which if they built the west side building it would allow for the skyway segment to connect into the Central Library which was stated they intend to build one tower now and one tower later. It does add up.

Granted they might be working on some changes but I think it gives us at least a idea how they plan on laying out the block. Oversized podiums with community amenities just like Nic on Fifth. A mid block car traffic lanes with small elements of green space. Would be disappointing to see that plain podium wall along Nicollet Ave or anywhere downtown actually! Although, maybe we will get to see a bit more lipstick on this pig :lol:

Either way it will increase density and will be a great addition to downtown. Though the west tower does remind me of the Nicollet Hotel proposed tower too!

They released that concept a while ago. I seem to remember seeing or hearing about a bunch of concepts they had for the site. Page 114 of this thread.

·
Working the OT
825 Posts
Rather long read but...

The future of Nye's hangs in the balance between preservation and density

If this project is rejected I am going to be very very sad. :sad2: If downtown can't be developed with dense neighborhoods surrounding downtown surly will start lacking in it's ability to become a major retail hub that can compete with the likes of the MOA. Fingers crossed everbody!!
Thing I don't quite understand is just a block closer to the river they have several buildings that exceed the so called height restriction that the preservation district want's to impose. So if those right on the river can be over 10 stories why cant this one also?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
city council trumps preservation commission. as others have pointed out there is precedent going back over 30 years on the riverfront. city will not reach its population goals if this kind of handwringing happens over any building proposal over 10 floors.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Been there... Done that... Let it go.

Ironically, I'm on TallBob's side on this one.
Ritz Block proposal sucks. I might as well live in the country if all I'm going to be surrounded by is generic 20 story glass boxes all with a Chipotle and a Starbucks.

Seriously urbaners, we give the suburbs a hard time, but if that's what the city becomes, we are just as bad.

·
ßᗄИИED
258 Posts
I read your posts all the time and need to ask......are your EVER positive about ANYTHING?
If you live in Minneapolis, and like skyscrapers (the 500ft+ kind, not the 25 story kind) , there really isn't much to be positive about. There will be a lack of dancing fruit to come on this thread unless big stuff finally comes.

For me, nothing is really making me positive, except Nye's, since first it preserve buildings which is awesome, and its 30 stories in NE MINNEAPOLIS, , not our CENTRAL BUSINESS DISTRICT in which 30 stories makes the tower just about unnoticeable.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
If you live in Minneapolis, and like skyscrapers (the 500ft+ kind, not the 25 story kind) , there really isn't much to be positive about. There will be a lack of dancing fruit to come on this thread unless big stuff finally comes.

For me, nothing is really making me positive, except Nye's, since first it preserve buildings which is awesome, and its 30 stories in NE MINNEAPOLIS, , not our CENTRAL BUSINESS DISTRICT in which 30 stories makes the tower just about unnoticeable.
BINGO! You and many others disregard density, and projects that could have a huge positive impact on building a local community. Instead the focus is on building architectural design to make the skyline "pretty". For example the recent 80 floor building vs the 36 floor building both designs had nearly the SAME amount of hotel rooms and apartment/condo units yet the collective disappointment clearly showed a lack of desire for density considering both projects would have produced nearly the SAME density upon completion!

Nic on Fifth, 4Marq, 2 30 floor Ritz towers, and the Gateway will bring what? almost 1,500 units? maybe almost 3,000 new residents? What was many of the forums complaining about a few years ago? The North end of Nicollet mall is vacant, it's has to many kids using it as a playground and needs more activity? It needs more residents to help balance it out? Ring a bell?

Now look the street should be bustling with activity is that not really exciting!!!? Retail is coming back to City Center!!! Is that not really exciting!!!? People complain the skyway is SUCKING out street activity and with about 3K new residents can't we be excited about all this new street activity that will be happening!!!?

I live downtown and I am really excited about all these new projects! Sure something taller and more iconic would have been nice but that project couldn't find a way to fund the project, and the numbers just didn't work out.

I wish this thread was focused on URBAN DEVELOPMENT instead of ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN. Can we maybe split the ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN conversations into a new thread? I really would like to be able to step out of that conversation because I have to live in this community every day, and if people want to discuss on how the city should reject 30 floor projects and keep a empty parking lot for another 10+ years until something TALLER comes along I really would prefer that conversation in a different thread.

I know several of you live in the suburbs or out of state, imagine if people were always so critical of your local community and complained and were rooting for projects to be cancelled due to low heights and cheap designs.

What is worse than a cheap 30 floor tower? an EMPTY PARKING LOT! I imagine you guys are going to be in for A LOT of disappointment, I suggest you get your ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN fix by checking out other cities that have more demand for grander scale projects because of higher property values. Just please stop with all this pessimism it's very exciting to see what is happening for Minneapolis, and it would be nice to share that excitement with a community that was excited about building such an urban community too! Am I the fish out of water here, or is everyone just having a bad day?

·
Registered
8,998 Posts
I guess the earlier renderings were correct. For some reason I can't link the photos. Can someone else? It really doesn't look all that bad.

Opus unveils 32-story residential tower on Minneapolis' Ritz block

Also browsing through the EAW, phase 2 could be a twin tower, or a 20 story office building.

*correction, phase 2 residential would be 38 stories. Ground floors, 5 floors of parking, 31 floors of apartments.

·
ßᗄИИED
258 Posts
6601 - 6620 of 8596 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.