SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Paradise Island
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I stayed close to home for my Minneapolis shots this month. All of these photos are from Whittier, or within a block of it:

Cottonwood flurries:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Great tour (as always!)

At first I thought you took a strong interest in murals, now it seems you're including more photos of just plain graffitti--is this a hobby of yours or are you going after the color?

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'm from Milwaukee, but my whole family lives in Blaine and **** Rapids, so up until this point I've only seen sprawlburbia and downtown. Thank for these last two threads showing the REAL city of Minneapolis. Is there any way you could venture into St Paul and show a few hotspots there? I'm really curious to see Summit Ave and Lake Como through your eyes.

·
Paradise Island
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great tour (as always!)

At first I thought you took a strong interest in murals, now it seems you're including more photos of just plain graffitti--is this a hobby of yours or are you going after the color?
I try to take pictures of street art whenever I see it because I think it is something minneapolis is strong in. I was an art major in college and have always been interested in it, actually my advisor was one of the people who started the art car movement in town, we used to talk about street art a lot back in my student days. As far as the tags go I generally don't consider tags art but sometimes they are put together in terms of color and layout in a way that works as an abstract composition, when that is the case I photograph it.

Is there any way you could venture into St Paul and show a few hotspots there? I'm really curious to see Summit Ave and Lake Como through your eyes.
I lived in St Paul for 15 years and have been planning on doing a big St Paul tour for a while. The problem is I don't have a car so it takes a bit of planning to get over there while I can shoot Whittier or Uptown on a whim. Maybe July will be the month of St Paul.

·
Paradise Island
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Unfortunately that stuff was too far from my apartment to carry. I did score two years of National Geographic from a free stuff box on my block though.

Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I just went to Minneapolis/St. Paul for the first time yesterday and I must say I was very impressed at the city as a while. Coming from Chicago, I tend to unfairly compare my city to cities I visit and most cities do not hold up. But I was very surprised to find that MPLS had many favorable comparisons.

No it's not as big as Chicago, but the metro definitely feels bigger than all other midwest cities. Another thing that I do not like about many midwest cities I've visited is the culture leaves a lot to be desired. This is not the case in the Twin Cities, as I definitely got a good grasp on a very unique, very proud, very established culture in the region. And it wasn't the stereotypical Minnesotan "dontcha know" that Hollywood portrays it is. It is one that is proud of a vibrant city that is almost a hidden gem for the rest of the country.

Of course my impressions might be different had I visited in the winter instead of a nice cool summer day, but basically the final test of a city's worth for me is "could I see myself living here?" And I have to say, the answer is yes.

Also, I used this thread to post my thoughts about the region, but these photos and the ones in the other threads by the OP are awesome.

P.S. The best part about my trip was breakfast at Al's. What a treasure that place is, and my friends and I all think its among the best breakfast food we've ever had.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Tell me that those wonderful restaurants bordering Loring Park are still there. How I miss that town..... perhaps not winter, mind you :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
. Coming from Chicago, I tend to unfairly compare my city to cities I visit and most cities do not hold up. But I was very surprised to find that MPLS had many favorable comparisons.
At first, I thought it might be a good idea to serve some humble pie for this statement....but then I realized: I do the same thing (i.e. unfairly compare other cities I visit to Minne). :nuts:

Glad you enjoyed your visit!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts