SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
None of these photos are mine and I've posted most of them separately elsewhere but I thought they deserved their own thread. They complement anti-cheesehead's great thread of street-level photos.

This one's from http://www.homestead.com/mikempls/mplspics1.html

These excellent aerials are from the University of Minnesota Design Center (http://www.designcenter.umn.edu/imagebank/default.html).

Linden Hills, Lakes Harriet and Calhoun

Linden Hills

Lake Calhoun

Skyline

Theodore Wirth Park

Lake Nokomis

Warehouse District

Uptown

University of Minnesota

Midtown

Uptown and Lake Calhoun

Powderhorn Park

Stevens Square

Walker Art Center (under construction) and Sculpture Garden

Loring Park, Sculpture Garden and freeways

Mill District Riverfront

Mill District

Loring Park

Northeast

Warehouse District

Northeast

Warehouse District

Bridges

Nicollet Mall

Uptown

Downtown

Here are more aerials from Steve Linder's site: linderphoto.com
Lake Harriet

Lake Calhoun

Lake Calhoun and Lake of the Isles

Lake of the Isles

Calhoun and Isles

Harriet

St. Anthony Falls.

Downtown

Minneapolis Sculpture Garden

Minneapolis Institute of Art

University of Minnesota

·
Registered
118 Posts
Those parks look very nice and well maintained. The Nicollet Mall is very nice, I have been on it and it is a very good set-up and the farmers market is exceptional, but its really uptight and youll get gobbled up by arrogant businessmen on cellphones.

Loring Park also looks like a nice urban neighborhood, like Cap. Hill in my hometown. It would be nice if Omaha and Des Moines would do that too some of close in neighborhoods. Dinkytown and Uptown also have impressive set-ups and seem warm and inviting.

The construction for the prices in the Warehouse district looks terrible. Some of the commercial strips in South Minneapolis are just plain ugly. The ride on the light rail from Downtown to Fort Snelling is depressing and drab.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
denvernative1982 said:
but its really uptight and youll get gobbled up by arrogant businessmen on cellphones.
WTF is wrong with you?

Is downtown Minneapolis the only downtown where you'll find businessmen on cellphones?

·
Pittsburgh rocks!!
899 Posts
Those are some of the best pictures of Minneapolis I have ever seen.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
hydrogen said:
Are a lot of the main thoroughfares in Minneapolis lined with trees as well?
Not really. To be honest, there seems to be more trees when you view it from above.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I just love these aerial shots. The city really looks so clean from above.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Bravo! sfhoya those are the best pics of Minny that I ever seen. Do you have any of St Paul?

The anti-cheesehead you're right, that night shot is great!

·
Registered
37 Posts
So, I'm to believe that downtown Minneapolis is the only business district in America with cellphones?

Hot damn! We are on the cutting edge!

·
Registered
258 Posts
CG5 said:
Hey...how'd the UW-Milwaukee dorm towers get all the way up to Minneapolis??
Haha, I've always thought the same thing! Actually, if it is possible, the ones in Minneapolis are even more ugly than the ones here at UWM ;)

Cool aerials.

·
metrocard millionaire
1,257 Posts
very nice photos from above, anyone got a pick of the pt light rail map? and are there any plans for extensions of it? from the look of a few of those pictures it seems like a condo boom is going on in minneapolis

·
Registered
40 Posts
Minneapolis has amazing parks. Everything you are looking for. Last Sunday I was at Lake Calhoun and there were so many people. It really is turning into a social scene. The beach and the sand volley ball court was littered with hundreds of people. The nice thing is if you don't want to deal with the social scene of Calhoun you can just go to Lake of the Isles or Cedar Lake.

I've noticed Calhoun is for young, single people (quite an awesome scene), Lake Harriet is for families and Lake of the Isles is for retirees.

I also enjoy going on all the trails they have in Minneapolis. I seem to find a new trail every week. I was just in Chicago the other week (wonderful city)but I didn't see very many green spaces or trees for that matter. Minneapolis has blended natural beauty with a wonderful refreshing urban feel. I love it the more I leave the more I want to come back.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts