Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few pics from Mille Lacs Lake, about 90 miles north of the Twin Cities:

Lots of Lake

The Walleye, Minnesota state fish.

Goodnight.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, anti-cheesehead, I thought you're supposed to hold the fish by the inside of its jaw, not its gills. Mille Lacs is a very nice lake. I can't believe I've only been there once.
You hold bass by their jaws, you don't want to hold a walleye by it's jaws because their teeth will rip your fingers up. You don't handle a large walleye by it's gills, you try not to touch the gills and hold it by it's gill plate.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That fish was 26 inches, too big to keep, so it went back into the water right away, BTW. It swam away just fine.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
You hold bass by their jaws, you don't want to hold a walleye by it's jaws because their teeth will rip your fingers up. You don't handle a large walleye by it's gills, you try not to touch the gills and hold it by it's gill plate.
Ah. So it is just bass. I was wondering because bass and smaller lake fish seem to be the only things I catch when I go fishing, though I rarely fish, and it's on a smaller lake when I do.

26 Posts
Ah. So it is just bass. I was wondering because bass and smaller lake fish seem to be the only things I catch when I go fishing, though I rarely fish, and it's on a smaller lake when I do.
probally catch bluegills and sunfish like me......:eek:hno:

Others in my family have such nice catches on the walls...including a monster of a Northern'.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting pictures. I'm surprised at the number of fishermen on the lake. It looks too crowded for pleasure boating.
It's looks crowded because we were near shore, and were fishing specific gravel and rock bars. People have GPS and fish finders, so everyone goes where the fish are. The lake is 200 sq. miles, there are some parts where you won't see another boat around you. If it wasn't windy, you could go for a couple mile water-ski run.

·
Registered
978 Posts
very nice! My son lives on Gull Lake north of Brainerd. Beautiful country up there.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^Sorry!

I'm was in an office today though, just like you.

I need to do whatever mobyhead's son is doing that enables him to live on Gull Lake.

·
Mostly Sane
2,330 Posts
Doesn't Mille Lacs have a reputation for being choppy? I've heard that the lake is very shallow, which makes for some prime seasickness! :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
^^^ It's possible that Mille Lacs gets choppy...I've never seen it in bad weather...but I believe you're thinking of Leech Lake for crazy water. We were out once several years ago in 6 foot swells. Not a pleasant ride in a Lund :D

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Doesn't Mille Lacs have a reputation for being choppy? I've heard that the lake is very shallow, which makes for some prime seasickness! :)
Funny you mention that, because both of the other guys I was with got seasick, barfing and dry heaving. We joked that dry heaving out of the boat was the "walleye call" and when they were barfing, they were chuming the water. The first day we were there, I couldn't even take pictures, because I couldn't stand up in the boat. We had rain gear on, but it wasn't raining, the waves were spraying into the boat. The lake was really rollin that day.

·
Banned
194 Posts

My fiance's parents have a cabin on the west side of Mille Lacs just north of Garrison, so I'm up there quite a bit throughout the year. The only times I've ever seen it choppy were in November. Big four-foot waves crash onto the shore on stormy days. It's pretty awesome to watch. Wouldn't want to be out on the water during those times.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^I'm surprised you've only seen it choppy once, because Mille Lacs is choppy whenever it's windy, and it gets swells just like any big lake or body of water. It also depends where you are on the lake, if you're in a sheltered bay, it won't be that choppy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts