Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,725 Posts
Have we been promised announcements? I think you'll find a couple of announcements will be Lime Square, the Film Studios and Festival Gardens have moved to the next stage, and maybe the bit of clarity of what's going on in Paddington and new renders for Liverpool Waters etc. That's probably news to the wider public who have limited interest but not so much to people on here. Don't unnecessarily build your hopes up and you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Have we been promised announcements? I think you'll find a couple of announcements will be Lime Square, the Film Studios and Festival Gardens have moved to the next stage, and maybe the bit of clarity of what's going on in Paddington and new renders for Liverpool Waters etc. That's probably news to the wider public who have limited interest but not so much to people on here. Don't unnecessarily build your hopes up and you won't be disappointed.
I think we may hear of a few things on Wirral Waters and Birkenhead. Feels like there's more momentum on that side of the Mersey.

Also, I thought I read that the design of the RCN building will be revealed and possibly the Cruise terminal.

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,725 Posts
Yes I reckon Wirral Waters is a possibility and the RCP building and the CLT are long overdue so hopefully you're right on that too. We may see designs for the hotel at Paddington too with a bit of luck.

·
Registered
13,977 Posts
Sorry but anything other than as yet unheard of announcements will be a disappointment. That's one reason I try to ignore MIPIM. It's in reality a place to start conversations about deals but not announce them so I don't think it's helpful to us really. Not that we ever hear about deals that were struck at MIPIM. It tends to be LCC releasing an ever-expanding brochure of visions for which that they are begging for money. Note that few, if any, of these drop off the begging list.

·
Registered
9,335 Posts
Can't see much being announced.

Major announcements will be done in bits if only to gain maximum publicity. One Big Bang won't do it.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
It feels like the same recycled announcements ...,Garden Festival (yawn) Liverpool Waters ( start on site Central Docks, new low rise vision but no commercial ) , Pall Mall is coming and don’t worry there’s billions of investment on the way ( 14 billion is Joes last estimate ) . We will get designs for RCP at Paddington but got to say bit disappointed we haven’t been able to persuade other colleges to join the move north . The project got off to such a flyer I was hoping for more occupiers to be announced.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Colin Sinclair did make a good start. The RCP was a real surprise. Basically London/'national' institutions do not open region offices in Liverpool, not unless that are present at a sub 'regional' level. The animus against the city in England/London is too great. While she was head of the then new Liverpool Science Park, its then boss, Dr Sarah Tasker noted that while IC1 had attracted occupiers there was not a single occupant that did not have a previous connection to Liverpool. I note in this context that RCP's deputy chief executive, Clive Constable, who seemed to be instrumental in the RCP's move to Liverpool, although London-based, seems to has an accent with local-sounding roots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT7rOzZL2q4.

Further investment from London royal colleges will be a pleasant surprise even given the precedent set by RCP.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
This is why I wonder what's going on behind the scenes....there is just no excuse for us always doing it the wrong way whereas other places consistently do it the right way. There isn't something different in the water! in my view it's meddling and incompetence.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Well, we do have interesting Mipim accouncement. A joint venture development company between the council, UoL and LJMU is being set up to continue progress in the Knowledge Quarter: https://www.investliverpool.com/lat...-created-to-deliver-knowledge-quarter-vision/.

This is a good idea. The sad thing is that we had such a company, semi-independent from the council with Liverpool Vision before Anderson grabbed hold of the city. Once he did, one of the first things he did was nobble it and take it directly under control of him. Since then his promised Mayoral Development Company never appeared and, with LV stripped of its development function, development in the city centre largely ground to a halt for eight years. Not until a bit of independence was created again with Colin Sinclair being put in charge of the KQ did anything start to happen again. This new joint venture should also help.

What we need is to have more of these (or just a single one again like LV was or the new one in Wirral borough), separate to the useless and self-serving council leadership and headless chicken council administration to get things happening again in other parts of the city. Rotheram's CA also talks of setting up a Mayoral Development Company (a real one we hope and not like Anderson's phantom one that never appeared) for the whole city region.

Still for now today's announcement is good news.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I had once the opportunity to attend this event, interestingly the palais des festivals et des congres where this show of massive, multibillion design led developments is hosted is a pretty hideous, horrible building itself, I wonder if faded, boring cannes with its cobbled covered beach was the right town for such a show at all

although the show takes place in france, it belongs and is organised by a uk firm, reed exhibitions, based in surrey, reed is the largest company of its kind in the world

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Check out the Manchester MIPIM web page with all its great video showing a dynamic city ...

http://manchesteratmipim.com

Now look at ours

https://www.investliverpool.com/services/mipim/
Again, I think it all stems from a leadership and wider political and decision making class that don't really have an interest in the city now that the Manchester centric project is fully embedded. It all just feels that for the moment at least the hearts of those that matter just arn't in Liverpool.

Manchester however seems to be basking in a period where people think it can't put a foot wrong.

Times change of course but what's worrying for Liverpool is that we seem to be yang to their ying.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Unless I’ve missed something what’s happened to Pall Mall....not a mention at Cannes . I’ve Forgotten the timetable wasn’t it supposed to go into planning this year .

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Unless I’ve missed something what’s happened to Pall Mall....not a mention at Cannes . I’ve Forgotten the timetable wasn’t it supposed to go into planning this year .
Deliberately half arsed.

If this, the hollowed out commercial centre and nothing from Peel doesn't make the penny drop that there is a deliberate policy of offices anywhere but Liverpool then nothing will.

This is not normal, organic city growth.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts